Search results

1. S

old butcher block table

Has anyone ever cut or taken apart an old butcher block table. I have one about 48" + long and about 24 " wide and about 16-18" deep. Would like to cut it into two halves (24" x 24" x 16"). I was wondering if this whole block is glued. Otherwise I will have to saw the block in half after...
  2. S

Charging for materials for job

I have been asked to make some fluted pieces that will be used to repair rotted sections of two 22' tall x 32" dia. porch columns. I have some expensive honduras mahogany that will most likely be used for this job. There will be considerable drop from the 3" x 12" boards. I am guessing that...
  3. S

Largest oak slab

Has anyone seen the pictures of the "Largest oak slab 200 years old, that you will ever see" ad on facebook? It is about 4" thick x 58" wide x 14' long and 218 bf. I have seen the actual slab and it is more than I expected. This slab is perfect for a conference table without the live edges. The...
  4. S

Dust colletion pipe

I have a dust collector with an eight inch inlet. Everything that I have read says use the biggest pipe as far as possible for trunk lines. I want to use eight inch PVC as far as possible. I have had Penn State Ind. and a few North Carolina companies to draw up plans for a dust collection...
  5. S

New sharpener in Alamance County Update

The new sharpener in Alamance County (David Holt) is currently developing a web site. Will let you know when available. If you need some sharpening now, let me know or better yet call David 336 213 2702. He lives on Hwy 49 South of Burlington, NC Joe
  6. S

Bed rails

My wife bought a solid wood headboard and metal frame years ago, before I came along. She said that she wished she had bought the foot board and rails also. So, I decided to make the foot board and rails to match. Our master bed is from the same company and solid cherry also. Except the rails...
  7. S

Blade Sharpener

We have a new blade sharpener in Alamance County. He sharpens mower blades, circular saw, planer, jointer, knives,etc. His name is David Holt in Southern Alamance County. David sharpened blades for a time a few years ago. For a need to have something to do, he has started sharpening again. He...
  8. S

circular planers

I have two circular planers about 3" in diameter. My uncle used to be a pattern maker and he used them on a drill press to plane small pieces of wood. Has anyone ever used one on a router? I have a 30" x 48" cutting board that needs flattening. I want to build a frame with sled to carry my...
  9. S

Custom furniture quote near Burlington

A lady at church has asked for someone to make some furniture from her 25+ year old walnut (air dried). She wants furniture made for her grandson. I don't know what pieces she would like made. She has a big stack of walnut that was her late husband's. If you are interested, I will give you her...
  10. S

Best paint for new wood kids toy cabinets

New cabinets are made from plywood. Primer is Rustoleum Cover Stain, so far. Paint stores all suggest water based Latex enamel with an oil based primer. Olympic One, Olympic Assure and Benjamin Moore Advance has been recommended. A local professional painter has said not to use latex. Will have...
  11. S

Reclaimed wood

A friend of mine has recently removed about 60 feet of Oak beams from an old barn. The beams are 6" x 9 1/2" x @12'. He wanted to know if anyone would buy them. I said that I would ask you guys. He hasn't priced them because he doesn't know a good price to ask. There is about 4.7bf per lineal...
  12. S

To resaw or not to resaw Honduras Mahogany

I just bought 100+ bf of Genuine Honduras Mahogany 10/4's x 10" and 12" x 10 and 12 feet long. What is the consensus, resaw when needed or resaw now? My stepson has a house that is trimmed in Honduras Mahogany. I bought this for his remodeling projects. He is presently remodeling a bathroom...
  13. S

Lumber supplier

I have a friend that has retired from logging and saw milling (commercial in Reidsville, NC). He's 57. He lives in Southern Alamance county, NC. Between Burlington and Liberty. He would like to know if any of you guys ever need band saw sawmill lumber. He is bored. He can get domestic logs from...
  14. S

Woodtek 24" Band Saw

Does anyone have a Woodtek 24" band saw operator's manual that I could get a copy of? I bought a used band saw made in 1999. I asked Eric Fairfield of Woodworkers Supply for a copy and received five pages that don't tell me much and has the parts list by numbers, but no descriptions or blow up...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS