Search results

1. S

Basswood

Painted kitchen cabinet stiles
  2. S

Question about older equipment?

I have been using a table saw without a riving knife for 44 years. Also have used a Craftsman RAS for 30 years. I have had no problems using these machines. I would say it depends on the wood used and also the person using the machine. The thing about a craftsman RAS is most are under powered...
  3. S

Question about older equipment?

I am just wondering why some of you say that this craftsman equipment is dangerous to work with? Why the radial arm saw? Not saying you are wrong, just curious of your opinion. Joe
  4. S

Woodworking and Pesticides

Sevin has a one day window before you can harvest a crop and eat it. Besides if I am correct, Kevin is a contact pesticide and does not enter the plant.
  5. S

Calculating BF used to make a cutting board

Don't worry about it. What she says goes.
  6. S

Soliciting advice on a workshop expansion.

I built my shop about 12 years ago with floor joists on 16" centered but each joist is only 10' long. My heaviest machine is a 16" jointer weighing in at 2000 lbs. Floor is 3/4" t & g plywood sub floor and 3/4" t & g 1 x 6 flooring. This floor doesn't give at all and doesn't even vibrate...
  7. S

How many amp panel for shop?

How much current do you have coming in to the shop from power pole or box? I had 200 amps at the pole so I put in a 200 amp panel. Overkill, maybe, but I have never had a low voltage problem.
  8. S

sanding cutting boards

Sand with 320, wet with water, sand 400 next day. Use beeswax and food grade mineral oil that I combine Apply to cutting board as a paste wearing nitrile gloves Heat with a heat gun and rub melted paste into the wood with gloved fingers (can get very warm on fingers) Leave overnight and polish...
  9. S

What color workshop floor would you do?

Use a color that your eyes like so you can find dropped nails and screws easily. Also use a color that does not eat light.
  10. S

hand saw filing

Sharpen your worn hand file and see if it suits you
  11. S

is a finish even,...

Mike, are you using flax oil only? As far as the mineral oil and beeswax, I don't have transfers to a cloth, but maybe it's because i use a heating gun over the mineral oil and beeswax. It will get hot enough to burn your fingers, but once heated, I rub it in very good then wipe off the excess...
  12. S

is a finish even,...

i use a mineral oil and beeswax paste.
  13. S

Pear fruit tree pollination

When you get tired of these pear trees you can make furniture out of it.
  14. S

old butcher block table

Has anyone ever cut or taken apart an old butcher block table. I have one about 48" + long and about 24 " wide and about 16-18" deep. Would like to cut it into two halves (24" x 24" x 16"). I was wondering if this whole block is glued. Otherwise I will have to saw the block in half after...
  15. S

cutting board question(s)

Am I looking at this picture wrong, but aren't the end boards cut from the original board ends and than flipped and reglued? As far as the thin outside strips, I cut them wider and then resize them after gluing the whole board together.
  16. S

Bandsaw Blade Ticking

I had a ticking blade a couple of months ago. The ticking was from the weld. Less than 30 minutes later "Ka pow". the blade broke at the weld and showed that it had a partial crack for sometime before breaking.
  17. S

Oland lathe tools

Did you make the ferrules?
  18. S

Charging for materials for job

I have been asked to make some fluted pieces that will be used to repair rotted sections of two 22' tall x 32" dia. porch columns. I have some expensive honduras mahogany that will most likely be used for this job. There will be considerable drop from the 3" x 12" boards. I am guessing that...
  19. S

Up to the 9' ceiling or not?

I have 9' ceilings with enclosed drywall 12" boxing, then the cabinets. No dust shelf. Overhead cabinets are high enough at 8' to top. I am 6' 1" high and can just reach anything on the top shelf. I also have an 8' floor to boxing pantry cabinet that is 16" deep and sometimes need a step ladder...
  20. S

Is this Cherry?

Red Oak. Look at the red color in the bark grooves on the piece he is sawing.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS