Search results

1. Don Sorensen

Rocket Mass Heater or other suggestions

When you said "Rocket Heater" it made me think of the forced air/LP gas combo that I just bought from Northern Tool. It's shaped kind of like a rock engine. Runs on 120vac and same kind of tank as my grill. But it's loud. It warms my 24 x 32 shop just fine in about 20 min. My uninsulated, open...
  2. Don Sorensen

Haven't been about much, but have done a few things

Haven't been up to posting much, though I have been making saw dust here and there. Wandered off the scroll saw path for a few of them, and wanted to show off this one. An Uncle made a request for a cribbage board that used AR-21 shells as the pegs, and a mental image of this board popped into...
  3. Don Sorensen

Shop built Router Table

Nice Job Joe. And now I have to go take another picture - I knocked together a router table this summer. Not nearly as elaborate and it is a bench-top model. But I know, the rules here are "no pictures, it didn't happen". LOL.
  4. Don Sorensen

Anything happening today?

I gotta say, that predicted rain sure is shining bright in the window. I think I'll shower and head on out to the park. but go ahead, start without me!
  5. Don Sorensen

Need Assistance

This may be a knee-jerk reaction on my part, but I'd stay away from aluminum wiring. Over time and use, it will expand and contract, becoming loose under the connection screws. That may have been an old house wiring problem, however. I spent my Christmas vacation one year going through my...
  6. Don Sorensen

Finished my walnut dresser this weekend!!!

Very nice work! Gotta love Walnut.
  7. Don Sorensen

Weight loss update (April 4th) Scroll down

Re: Weight loss update I lost about 32 lbs last September when I started this new job. Lot's more physical than any job I've had for a while. Unfortunately, I think the weight has managed to track me down somehow, and rejoin the party. However, the old pants still fit. Old pants I haven't...
  8. Don Sorensen

Sand-flee sanders

I just love the timing on some of these forum posts. My MOM of all people just bought a Sand Flee at a woodworking show in Ohio a couple of weeks ago. Mom, Dad, and sister are all scrollers, but Mom is expressing an interest in intarsia and the power take off for a sanding Mop is part of what...
  9. Don Sorensen

Wooden clock at the picnic.

I'm guessing it's the BOP clock in TedAS gallery? That's a Bird of Paradise from Clayton Boyer. In my opinion, it might be called a "Nightmare in wood, part 2". http://lisaboyer.com/Claytonsite/Claytonsite1.htm Wow. My hat's off to you. Nice detail on the weight, too. I'm currently working...
  10. Don Sorensen

Attaching Solar Panels

might be worth an expensive cup of coffee at the local Barnes and Noble while you flip through some of the MotherEarth news/home power/etc magazines in the rack.
  11. Don Sorensen

Solar Can Heating for Shop

I agree with Roger (sapwood) (Happy Birthday!) I don't want to give up my bottles!. Oddly, it can be 20 degrees outside, but if it's sunny, my poorly insulated two car shop is just comfortable to work in, if you don't mind wearing a sweater. But if I could get it up to the 60's with a nice dry...
  12. Don Sorensen

PE from Fayetteville to Raleigh/Wake Forest/Cary

I'll be headed to F'ville on the 12th for that weekend - back in Raleigh on the 14th. Could meet up at Cary Towne, Woody's Sports bar, Triangle Towne, the Woodworking Shoppe across the street from Harbor Freight. My only "hang up" is I don't know what time I'll be getting back. The folks have...
  13. Don Sorensen

DeWalt

I have to chip in on this, too. I know that DeWalt tools were built in the very same plant as Black & Decker down in Fayetteville. I know at the time the quality requirements were completely different. I've been through 2 B&D 3/8 drills in the time I've owned my DeWalt 3/8 drill. And I'm a...
  14. Don Sorensen

Anyone ever heard of this course at NCSU?

Was it not a group of NCSU students featured in one of the wood magazines a while back where they build a 250Hp Wood Car? Probably this curricul..., uh, course. The wood/paper/pulp school at NCSU is pretty extensive. Woolfpack class of '88
  15. Don Sorensen

2010 Picnic Location

dagnabit! - I've lived here on and off for 20 years. I've driven by this place i don't know how many times. I really, really need to stop at this place.
  16. Don Sorensen

SawStop or Not?

Where's the "wish I had one a few years ago to prevent 'the incident'" entry? Even with my past experience with a table saw, I still wouldn't buy one. They're just too expensive. Ideal for high school shop class or similar. But for home use - the 6" rule, and plenty of RESPECT for the tool...
  17. Don Sorensen

It’s finally completed

It's clocks like those that drew me into the scrollsaw world. My Dad has built both the Defender and then the Apostle clocks from Wildwood Designs. I believe the clock with the Dome is what they call the "Shopiere" clock. Hats off to ya! Very nice work there.
  18. Don Sorensen

Wooden Cross

For some reason, I don't have a picture of the cross I made for Mom many years ago. Pretty simple, as you said - a couple of pine 1x6 lap jointed at the intersection- used a 3 pound coffee can to lay out scallops around the perimeter - routed with a 1/4 round bit and left a raised edge all...
  19. Don Sorensen

Cedar Creek Gallery

Re:for those a little farther west... We've had pretty good luck with Southern Spirits Gallery in Salisbury, NC. As a matter of fact, I think that's a clock my sister made on their front page. http://www.southernspiritgallery.com/default.htm
  20. Don Sorensen

NC State Surplus Property Online Auction

eyekode - I've never bought from them online, but you can stop by the actual "store" - er storage site. It's on Hwy 54 just off of 40-440 whatever it is - From Apex if you came to Raleigh, via 1/64 and took 40-440 toward Durham you'll pass Cary Crossroads, then come to Highway 54 exit. Then...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS