Search results

1. J

Bedrock #606 refurb

Here is a recent project. I started with a rusty Bedrock #606 fore plane. First step was to take it apart. It was in pretty good shape. Just a little rust and a broken tote. After a trip to the kittie bucket full of citric acid, the plane looked much better. I found a donor tote in the...
  2. J

Corner cupboard update--hanging the doors

Well it has been a long time and too much has gotten in the way, including the heat in the shop. I am winding down on the bottom of the corner cupboard. Finished trimming the doors this morning and hung the hinges. This is the test fitting. I need to remove everything for finishing, so I am...
  3. J

Corner cupboard update--popping the eyes

The corner cubboard bottom doors have been sitting around for a few weeks. They are stable and it is time for more fun. Now I need to pop the eyes in the birdseye maple. Need to gather some supplies: boiled linseed oil (BLO), turps, sour cream container, old sock, box lids. Here is where I move...
  4. J

Stanley #2 takes a ride

I have been working on this project for the last couple of years. Started when I found a frog, blade, and lever cap in a box of junk. Then I found a good sole. Today I found a tote, rod, and front knob. I can add a little horn to the tote and this little dude will be ready for showtime. In case...
  5. J

Corner cupboard--door #2 dry fitted

Another hour in the shop means a chance to trim panel #2 and dry fit it in the door. The LN #62 plane did a masterful job at raising the panel and also trimming all the sides to fit. Now both doors are dry fitted. Here is the money shot of them in place. Next job is to put finish on the...
  6. J

Corner cupboard--door panel raising

To recap, the project is a walnut corner cupboard. I am working on the bottom which has two doors with birdseye maple panels. Panels were split and bookmatched. Now it is time to bevel the edges so they will fit and float in the door grooves. I tried out several planes, but the LN #62 worked the...
  7. J

Corner cupboard--backboards

Well I cut the door panels to rough size and put them aside for later. Now is time to tackle the backboards. Since I hate seeing plywood in case goods, I take a little time to make something handcrafted. Usually starts with furring strips that have been split. In this case, the strips were 4"...
  8. J

Corner cupboard--door panel scraping

The birdseye panels were a little rough from their trip through the bandsaw. Since birdseye is prone to tearout, I am scraping them smoothe. This is why you need a LN #112 scraper plane. Of course, sometimes you need to scrape just a little bit. Here is where his little brother, the LN #212...
  9. J

Corner Cupboard progress--door panels

I thought that birdseye maple door panels would add some bling to the walnut cabinet and keep it from looking so dark. The maple boards have had about a month to adjust to the shop, so I split them this morning. For you hand tool users, I used a bandsaw, but could have used a frame saw. Bandsaw...
  10. J

Corner cupboard progress--bottom doors

It took two weekends to pare and plane the 8 tenons to fit the 8 mortices. They are all done now. Tight, but not too tight. Next operation is split the birdseye maple and make some bookmatched panels for the doors. Then I will start on the back. I split some furring strips with the bandsaw...
  11. J

Preston Plane rehab

Got a bullnose Preston #1355 plane from that world famous on line auction site. It took a while to come across the pond, but here is what I received. It seemed to be in pretty good shape. Nice plating, very little brown rust staining. Time to open it up. Well, it needs some oil and the...
  12. J

Corner cupboard progress--bottom door

I am making slow but sure progress on my corner cupboard. I am still working on the bottom cabinet; specifically, assembling the doors. I am trimming the tenons on the rail pieces to fit into the mortices on the stiles. I just raise the bench dogs about 1/4" and clamp the rail between them while...
  13. J

Chamfer plane gets fixed

So I picked up this really nice chamfer plane. Had a few issues. First, the box is too tight. Next, the blade is missing. Didn't seem like showstoppers to me. First up was to remove the stuck box. That took about 10 minutes of careful work. I was able to use soft pine as a punch and tease it...
  14. J

Corner cupboard progress--door tenons

So I took one of my rare vacation days Friday to watch the ACC tourney. Then spent the rest of the weekend glued to the set watching the Tar Heels bring another championship home.:cool: Also snuck in some woodworking between games. Made the grooves thru grooves on both rails and stiles. Then I...
  15. J

Corner cupboard progress--bottom doors

My day job is pretty stressful and this project is how I relax. It is more of a journey than a destination. Sorry for the slow progress--it may take another year to finish. This weekend's task was to cut up the rails and stiles for the doors. I was able to get all pieces cut out of some...
  16. J

Corner Cupboard progress--door top rail

This has been a good weekend for the corner cupboard. First I got the moulding applied the the foot build up. Next I installed the top door rail. This piece was an afterthought. The door frame just looked unfinished, so I added a rail. There is a rabbet on the back where it attaches to the top...
  17. J

Why you need a trammel

Here is a bit of lost woodworking lore. Trammels, or beam compasses, have been around for centuries. It is an ancient device for marking circles, arcs and other curves. These little devices are so handy that I have four or five in my workshop--different sizes, different types. My little tip of...
  18. J

How to store your Stanley #45 plane

Many people pick up a Stanley #45 plane and wonder how to store all of the pieces. During its manufacture, the #45 was shipped in various containers, from wood, to metal, and finally (I think) paper. None of these shipping containers do the plane justice. Most require that the plane be stripped...
  19. J

Corner cupboard progress--feet

The walnut corner cupboard project is inching along--just the way I like it. This weekend I was able to install the foot buildup on each side along with a step up moulding on the front skirt. The drill--joint rough 5/4 wood with #7 and glue up. Use LN 40 1/2 to take off high spots. Use #7 to...
  20. J

Corner cupboard glue blocks

Got to work on the corner cupboard project a while today. I added some struts and glueblocks for strength.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors