Search results

1. J

Alternatives to routers?

Sorry that I came late to this party. The OP asked about grooves and alternatives to routers. Here is my vote: Stanley #45 plane with a 1/8" cutter. This plane will out groove anything out there, unless you are in a production shop. Set the fence and the tiny little 1/8" groove almost plows...
  2. J

Old Molding planes

I use aluminum oxide sandpaper (gray). Flatten the black as normal. For curves, find a screwdriver or drill bit that you can wrap the paper around. Take your time and you can sharpen them like new. I start with 220 and finish with 400. Good luck.
  3. J

Where to find blades for Stanley 45

The best source I have found for #45 blades is Stanley. They sell the plow sets for about $25.
  4. J

Bedrock #606 refurb

I picked this one up on that world famous on line auction site.
  5. J

Bedrock #606 refurb

I have several #6s that I use. What sets this plane apart is the lack of backlash in the adjuster. Most Bedrocks are made with close tolerances and the adjuster seems to work better than on normal Bailey planes. This size plane is good for following a scrub plane. Just put a camber on the blade...
  6. J

Bedrock #606 refurb

Here is a recent project. I started with a rusty Bedrock #606 fore plane. First step was to take it apart. It was in pretty good shape. Just a little rust and a broken tote. After a trip to the kittie bucket full of citric acid, the plane looked much better. I found a donor tote in the...
  7. J

Pattern Makers Vise

I have had one of these clones from Woodcraft for years and really like it. Comes greasy like a big Christmas ham and takes forever to clean. Then you need to take sandpaper to it and file the ragged edges. Go hire a small boy to hold it in place while you fit it to your bench because it is...
  8. J

Show me your chisel racks...

If you know how many you have, then you have a set of tools. If you can't (or won't) possibly count them all, then it is a COLLECTION!:occasion1
  9. J

Show me your chisel racks...

Well, to be honest, my good chisels are in rolls stored in tool boxes. Here are the Marples blues: The Japanese set is stored the same way. I keep some beaters out above the work table: The mortice chisels I made are stored a little higher: And a few #60 butt chisels round out the group
  10. J

Curious

Well, to start with, I sharpen over 1,000 blades/cutters a year. Speed is essential for me. I use a Norton pink wheel (fine, I think) on a high speed grinder & keep a Cool Whip tub of water on the stand for constant dunking. Then I use 220 aluminum oxide paper on a marble floor tile, followed by...
  11. J

block planes

Well, here is one Japanese solution to the block plane. It works pretty well. Here is another shot.
  12. J

block planes

My favorite plane for cleaning up rabbets is my Stanley #93. Also use an Ulmia with a lignum sole, an old Preston bullnose, and sometimes the LN #140 or the LN #62. The LN planes are pricey because they are well made. In my mind, worth the price. But if price is an issue, the best bargain out...
  13. J

block planes

Well I am a little late to this party, but here goes. My far and away favorite low angle adjustable mouth plane is my LN # 62. Next is my LN #140, which is a skew, not low angle. Here is the #140 in action making some shiplap joints. And here is the #62 in action making a raised panel. It...
  14. J

Corner cupboard update--hanging the doors

Thanks for the kind words. This corner cupboard is made from genuine North Carolina walnut (door panels are some yankee birdseye maple). One of my buddies brought down about 400 bft of 5/4 rough stock. I am working it over with a scrub plane, #7 jointer plane, and finally a smoother. I will post...
  15. J

Corner cupboard update--hanging the doors

Well it has been a long time and too much has gotten in the way, including the heat in the shop. I am winding down on the bottom of the corner cupboard. Finished trimming the doors this morning and hung the hinges. This is the test fitting. I need to remove everything for finishing, so I am...
  16. J

old plane, new blade???

I agree with the others about moving the frog, but disagree about not filing. Stanley #4 planes are pretty common so you are not messing up something that might end its days at the Smithsonian. There is nothing sacred about the mouth and filing allows you even it up a bit. The original Stanley...
  17. J

Allergic Reaction?

The rosewood family, dalgbergia, et al, contains many woods which cause allergic reaction. Rosewood, itself, is a prime offender. Also cocobolo. It can take time to build up enough histamines in your system to cause your reaction. The solution is the QUIT using the woods, as your reaction will...
  18. J

older hand planes

The blade quality of bench planes can have a wide range, from outstanding to suckey. I like to give mine the pocketknife test. Find an edge you like, either plane blade or chisel, and use this blade as a reference. Scratch it with the point of your pocketknife (non redneck machinists use a...
  19. J

older hand planes

I am currently working on a corner cupboard project and am using rough sawn 5/4 walnut. All of these boards have been hand planed and jointed. All it takes is a scrub plane, a #7 jointer, and a #4 smoother. Takes a little longer than power tools, but then most home projects do not require 1000...
  20. J

older hand planes

Not trying to pick a fight, but I do not agree that *a cheap plane can be tuned to perfection*. I would agree that inexpensive planes can be tuned to do household carpentry chores, but that is far from what I consider perfect. Inexpensive planes have thin blades that chatter, loose works with...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS