Search results

1. C

Raleigh area Lunch Bunch Meets this Friday

I enjoyed meeting everyone at today's lunch! Thanks for organizing Ken.
  2. C

Allan Breed Carving a bedpost

I am not generally a fan of such heavy carvings but I must say I admire Allan's economy of motion. I dream of one day reaching that level of craftsmanship!
  3. C

Cedar?

Fred, It seems you have some experience working with sweet gum. I have several sweet gum trees that I am thinking about cutting. Would it be worth having the trunks cut into 8-10 foot logs and having them milled? Chris
  4. C

Oh my! Anyone need a decent workbench?

That bench may be beautiful but it lacks the marks of a true work bench - nicks and scratches from regular use. I would have no fear of using such a bench because the use would only add to it's story. This does motivate me to get moving on my bench - I have 3 3" x 10" x 10' slabs of oak and 3...
  5. C

Storing dired wood

Chris, Thanks for the tip.
  6. C

Hello from Raleigh

Late reply so a personal comment and and offer: 1) I bought Purdy brushes many years ago and have applied poly to many a project with them with no trouble. I always use a brush rated for "All paints" for poly and the only trouble I usually have is applying too much and getting drips... Asa...
  7. C

Storing dired wood

I've been away from this forum for way too long... I have just moved from a house with garage where I stored my wood on old grocery store shelves, so it was 100% supported. This worked OK but had issues with loosing boards because they got buried at the back/bottom of a shelf. I am now living...
  8. C

I've been away for a long while!

I just logged in to look for something and noticed that my profile has been marked inactive! Yikes! I guess I haven't logged in in a while... When I first found NCWW, I was unemployeed and had lots of time to spend on the site and playing with wood. I found a job here in Raleigh that lasted...
  9. C

My daughter

Rob, My prayers are with you and your family! Chris
  10. C

Which dovetail saw to buy???

Dan our posts must have crossed paths on the web! You are correct. I have a PDF of the original article from 2006 up on my screen right now.
  11. C

Which dovetail saw to buy???

While I no longer subscribe to the paper version of FWW, I absolutely love having a digital subscription! The Article that you are thinking of is Tool Test: Dovetail Saws from March/April 2006 by Chris Gochour. The saw rated Best Overall and Best Value was the Crown from Highland Hardware...
  12. C

Table Saw - not 90 degrees after lowering blade

I'll have to agree with Alan. All of my ZCI's are home made from hardboard and shims to get them level with the table. I made them by fitting the hard board into the table with no blade installed. Then took it out, installed the blade, lowered it as far as it would go, turned the saw on and...
  13. C

A little turning

One word: WOW!:notworthy:
  14. C

Review - new safety glasses

I guess this is a gloat: Years ago I worked in a lab that required safety glasses at all times. All of the standard safety glasses they had or could order caused me to get headaches, so I ended up going to an eye doc, and spending more time arguing with him to make uncorrected safety glasses...
  15. C

Yay or Nay: Drill Doctor

I have often hand sharpened a critical drill bit late at night with my Dremel and a cut-off wheel. Not the best approach but it works in a pinch - I'm just waiting to find a good price on a Drill Dr. when I have some spare cash.
  16. C

Worksharp supplies

Bill, You have a good point but if you work out the price per disc, at the $10/pack I have paid at Northern Tool, the individual discs are $1.43 ea and if I just drop by when I am near the store anyway, I don't have to pay shipping... Either way, to each his own! I just wanted to share a...
  17. C

Worksharp supplies

First of all thanks to (??) for the initial post last year about HD's deal on the Worksharp 3000! I've used it well and love it! Now, a tip for those who have not noticed yet. List price for Worksharp sandpaper packs is $19.99. Northern Tool sells them for $14.99! And if you are on their...
  18. C

Free Black Lab To A Good Home

Tracy - I feel your pain we had to put one of our cats down after 15 years a while ago and we still miss him:no:. I would love to help out with providing a new home for the other but with a cat, dog and 9 year child I don't think a highly territorial dog is a good fit for us right now...
  19. C

Tablesaw Safety Reminder

First, my condolences and best wishes for a speedy recovery! As a safety minded blockhead... I have often disabled safety devices (like the lovely little shields built-in to the European plug adapters I bought on a recent trip across the pond - those shields were designed to prevent you from...
  20. C

Table Saw blade alignment

Last time I checked my TS (Rigid TS 2412), I got it within 0.002. Just be very gentle while tightening bolts and use a cross pattern, as you would tightening bolts on a gasket fitting.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS