Search results

1. S

Wood ID help

I agree that it is probably persimmon. The kind of soil and its chemical make-up, direction tree faced as it grew and other physical circumstances might affect the darkness of the heart wood and how expansive it is.
  2. S

Beginning Turning Suggestions?

I recommend using 2"x2" white wood, practice use of different tools and make piece round, then make coves, v's, other shapes, with gouges, skews, parting tools, etc. Several really good turners use this practice to "get back in the groove" when they have been on vacation or otherwise away from...
  3. S

Spindle Turning Training Needed

google American Association of Woodturners. They have a list of clubs and professionals who you can select from, contact and get the one-to-one teaching you want.
  4. S

Hello from Randleman

Welcome! Hope you continue to enjoy our discussions. I also belong to the Southern Piedmont Woodturners in Concord. In addition to our club meetings, we developed a ZOOM program for the COVID seclusion and are going to continue it for members who can't make a meeting. We would love to have...
  5. S

Growth Rings

I believe that the seeds of the Long Leaf Pine, native to North Carolina and the southeastern US coastal plain, also need to be heated in a forest fire before they can germinate.
  6. S

Hummingbird houses???

The last time I checked, Jerry Measimer, Richfield, NC, woodturner and member of the Southern Piedmont Woodturners, Concord, NC, made hummingbird houses for Our State Magazine. He also turns hats out of logs and sells them out of his shop in Richfield.
  7. S

New Forum Member from Alexis NC

Welcome Eric. If you are interested, the Southern Piedmont Woodturners meets in Concord on the 3rd Tuesday night of each month. We are also doing ZOOM meetings. Other info is available at our web page, just use club name. The December meeting is our special Christmas meeting on the second...
  8. S

Pine Logs

Leave them outside, in the woods, until the sap wood begins to rot, then you can gather the "light" wood to use in starting those outside fires in the firepit. Or you can carve them with chain saws or hand tools, etc. for wood sprites, bear, fox, wolf heads, etc.
  9. S

Turning Green Oak

Twice, both times when I burned the piece. Another drying tactic is to make a dryer from a non-working dishwasher. Install a 40 watt bulb inside the dishwasher, using a drop cord with a fixture on the end like you might use under the hood of a car when working at night. Put the pieces you...
  10. S

Turning Green Oak

You might try drying the pieces in a microwave. I weigh each piece on a kitchen scale, record the weights. Zap for 30 seconds at top strength. Let the pieces cool. Weigh, record and repeat until consecutive weights are equal. Be attentive because they can burn and microwaves don't smell...
  11. S

Makers Mark

PBS show "Antique Roadshow" frequently says that authentication of makers identification will increase value, often doubling it given identity of maker.
  12. S

Old Pecan tree

It is possible to make "maple" syrup from pecan and/or walnut sap. I understand it is only necessary to get the volume of sap needed to make whatever volume of syrup you wish to produce.
  13. S

Falling a Walnut Tree

Some additional information I discovered about 1995 when I was trying to get some black walnut sawed. A neighbor in southern Wake County ran a saw mill. When I called him about sawing the b. walnut trees I had, he replied, very tersely, "Do not bring those trees to my lot. I make most of my...
  14. S

Oak: Antimicrobial Properties

As a former local public health sanitarian {restaurant inspector) I seem to remember a study by NC State, to investigate whether plastics or wood were "better" materials for cutting boards/butcher blocks used to cut raw meat in a commercial kitchen. I don't remember the relevant references but...
  15. S

Lightening wood

Scrub with warm soapy water and a wire brush. Dry in the sun. When dry, rub on boiled linseed oil or walnut oil. Repeat until the grain is sharp.
  16. S

Card scraper better than sandpaper?

I think about sand paper as a collection of rocks attached to paper or other sheet-like flexible substance which allows a person to rub the paper across the wooden object to be smoothed. The size of the rocks/sand get smaller as you progress through the range of sand paper ratings. But no...
  17. S

New member from Oriental area

Welcome Larry, I used to buy pipe blanks from Davis and Sons Tobacco in Wilmington. My # for them doesn't work anymore but you can probably find them on the Internet.
  18. S

Wood / tree identification

I understand that NC State has a Forestry Program, a faculty member of which, can probably identify this wood. 919-513-0085 is a possible phone number.
  19. S

Root ball turning

I agree with others that you need to use chainsaw or bandsaw to get a piece of a root ball into a basically round shape. Begin turning at slow rate (probably slowest your lathe can turn). Watch out for rocks, dirt etc. as has been said. One other point, a rule of thumb is that green wood...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS