Search results

1. cpw

Log ID help

Anyone know that this is? The grain is tight and stringy, but it's not very dense or heavy. Just a bit heavier than poplar. Sorry, no foliage. This was a blow-down log that's been down a couple of years. TIA
  2. cpw

Fire extinguisher in shop w/o climate control

That's the kind of authoritative answer I was hoping for. Thanks
  3. cpw

It's wood frame. The walls are insulated with fiberglass & sheathed inside with 7/16" OSB, but there's no insulation under the roof.
  4. cpw

We were looking into putting a fire extinguisher out in the shop but there's no A/C and it will just bake in the sun all summer. We have no idea how hot it will get inside and all of the models we have looked at say not to store àbove 120° F. Any advice or experience in this realm would be...
  5. cpw

Vintage Tools

It looks like the powerhead from a radial arm saw. I have no idea what model. Not familiar enough.
  6. cpw

Gluing to oil stained wood?

Has anyone had any success gluing raw wood to another piece that has already been stained with oil based stain? If so, what process and/or products did you use?
  7. cpw

Reading all available info on miter saws

I have had the 12" Bosch axial glide for around 10 years and am still very pleased. It is possible to deflect the arm and cause inaccurate cuts, but if you have it set properly, and if you use a gentle hand and let the "tool do the work," it is very accurate.
  8. cpw

Dorm sized desk

Sweet! I really like the nesting option. My college desk was a piece of A/C plywood on two two-drawer metal file cabinets.
  9. cpw

Cement Floor Treatment

Standing on concrete is murder on your joints and back. I did the epoxy thing when I had a garage shop, and it's a lot of prep, and does nothing to cushion for your knees and back. In my next shop I had a bunch of the mats made up of 2'x2' squares made more for playrooms. The rubber isn't very...
  10. cpw

Router Rabbet bit recommendation (is it rabbit or rabbet?)

In British English a rabbet is a "rebate." Without doing any research I would think that is stems from the idea of reducing or cutting back from the whole of whatever the thing is, whether a sum or a block of wood. Rebate plane Archives - Paul Sellers' Blog Sorry I don't have a bit...
  11. cpw

Forest Woodworker ll

Sympathies on your injury. I hope the nerve damage isn't too bad. Is this the blade you wanted? https://www.forrestblades.com/woodworker-ii-ripping-saw-blade-for-table-saws/7.25-woodworker-ii-saw-blade-30-teeth/
  12. cpw

SOLD: Rockler Dovetail Jig

This listing is mine. https://asheville.craigslist.org/tls/d/forest-city-rockler-dovetail-jig/7257519449.html
  13. cpw

SOLD: Jet ProShop Table Saw

This is mine. Will discount for NCWW member. https://asheville.craigslist.org/tls/d/forest-city-jet-proshop-table-saw/7257498896.html I need to sell it pretty fast. We're selling the house and set to close Jan. 15th. I can assist with disassembly and loading.
  14. cpw

Which grease for gears and trunnions?

I am tearing down my 18" Jet bandsaw to move it, and it seems like a good time to clean and lube. The trunnions aren't that dirty, but the table has always been a bit "noisy" to tilt and when I removed it I was surprised by how little lube there was. The more I search the more confusing it...
  15. cpw

Advice sought: Precautions with no shop HVAC

We're finally moved into the mobile home (for the most part) and the house is under contract. We're currently culling and moving the shop into a shed with no HVAC. I am not comfortable leaving a space heater running when I am not out there. I insulated the walls, mostly for noise reduction, and...
  16. cpw

Happy Birthday sawman101

♥♥ [̲̅̅H̲̅][̲̅̅A̲̅][̲̅̅P̲̅][̲̅̅P̲̅][̲̅̅Y̲̅] [̲̅̅B̲̅][̲̅̅I̲̅][̲̅̅R̲̅][̲̅̅T̲̅][̲̅̅H̲̅][̲̅̅D̲̅][̲̅̅A̲̅][̲̅̅Y̲̅] ♥♥ ♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪ Happy Birthday to you ♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥ ♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪ Happy Birthday to you ♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥ ♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪ Happy Birthday Dear Bruce !!!!! ♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸ ♥ ♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪ Happy Birthday to...
  17. cpw

Yet another wood identification question

Looks like cedar to me. Usually the smell is a dead giveaway.
  18. cpw

Woodworking Axioms

When you're sure you're done with a tool and put it away you will need it again within 5 minutes.
  19. cpw

Learned a new trick today

I always wash out new roller covers. Same idea. The tape is easier. Washing is more thorough but eats more time.
  20. cpw

Plexi and Wood

Generally, I try to avoid relying on glue to hold glass or plexi. Sounds like you cut a rabbet for the plexi to lay in from underneath? My preference would be to cut an actual groove (a channel with wood left on both sides) to hold the glass mechanically. Others will probably have better...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS