Search results

1. L

Reclaimed wood

I have a good amount of reclaimed wood from the flooring at Cone Mills, Greensboro. I have been told all the nails are gone but I don't trust that claim. I would like recommendations on the type tool to purchase to check again for metal. I have a Saw Stop and it is expensive if set off to...
  2. L

Table saw fence

I've seen and read several different opinions about the settings for a table saw fence. I am working on my saws (Saw Stop) set up and would appreciate some input. Set it from blade/miter slot front and rear the same or open it a small amount on the rear.
  3. L

PVC boards

Can PVC boards be planned or joined without damage to the knives?
  4. L

Finishing poplar with dye and gel stain

Would it be best to seal poplar with shellac or blotch control before using dye followed by stain. I know using water based dye will raise the grain so if I don't use a sealer I will spray with water before dye. need to take in account of raising the grain with a coat of...
  5. L

Epoxy small table top finish

I'm making a couple small tables out of cherry for m,y seven and nine year old grandchildren and would like to use epoxy after a Waterlox finish for protection against tough use. Any suggestions on brand and application would help this novice out.
  6. L

Tried and True Varnish Oil

I am trying Tried and True stain and the Varnish Oil. I have put on thin coats of the varnish oil and rubbed and rubbed. It doesn’t seem that it will dry. Anyone with experience with this product give me some pointers. Also when and if it dries can you put shellac or pure varnish over it.
  7. L

Finishing poplar

I am making some low material price bookcases for my three young grand kids. I chose poplar due to the price. Finishing has been a night mare. I’ve tried using shellac as a sealer and another sanding sealer and I have failed to get suitable results. Any help or suggestions would be much...
  8. L

Shellac Flakes

I have Started to mix my own Shellac and want some expert advice with some folks that have more experience. Which brand is best for mixing and where to purchase.
  9. L

Water base polyurethane

I have a question about the General Finish’s water based polyurethane. I have seen Utube videos about how great it is and how easy it is to apply. Anyone used it and how was the results.
  10. L

wanted to buy

I want to buy several used parallel clamps 24 inch, 31 inch, or 36 inch.
  11. L

Bees wax

If you use bees wax on a plane will it affect finishes
  12. L

Edge gluing

Several years ago I saw an article that explained if you ran two boards at the same time on edge thru the jointer they would match perfect on the edge when gluing together. I guess that was because a jointer can be off a small amount off even when the fence is square. What I don't remember is...
  13. L

Mortise and Tenon

I have purchased at Festool Domino 700 (large size) and wondered if anyone used the larger domino in place of mortise and tenon joinery? I have a mortise and was thinking of selling it using the Festool.
  14. L

Table saw

I want to know what must woodworkers do when setting up the rip fence. Should the fence be completely square to the blade and miter track or is it better to set the far end a 32nd or so opened. I recently had a kick back incident that was not pleasant.
  15. L

Inlay

I purchased some templates to do an inlay on a table. I also got the guide and router bit for the inlay. I cut out the design with the 1/8 spiral bit and wasn't sure how to clean out the cut out. I assumed not to try that with an 1/8th bit and guessed you would use a larger bit and do it by...
  16. L

Finish mixture

I have some "Master Blend" 100% Tung Oil which has a finish formula printed on the label. It is one part Turpentine, one part varnish, and two parts Tung oil. I would like to add some Trans Tint dye. Anyone familiar with doing this I would like some advice.
  17. L

Finishing mistake

I have built a Library Table out of quarter sawn white oak and made a bad finishing mistake. I did not use filler and have finished with three coats of Rockhard Table Top Varnish and the grain pores are visible. Do I have to sand off to bare wood and start over or is there something I can do...
  18. L

wipe on urethane

Has anyone tried wiping on Behlen Rockhard Table top Urethane. I have other varnishes and seem to get that smoother than brushing.
  19. L

woodworkimng screws

I know I am using the wrong wood screws in my work. What is the best to use and where to purchase.
  20. L

Painted Headboard

I am building a headboard for my granddaughter and would be interested in finding some one to paint it white. The exact tint to be decided later. I should have it finished (weekend worker) sometime in April.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors