Search results

1. L

Reclaimed wood

I have a good amount of reclaimed wood from the flooring at Cone Mills, Greensboro. I have been told all the nails are gone but I don't trust that claim. I would like recommendations on the type tool to purchase to check again for metal. I have a Saw Stop and it is expensive if set off to...
  2. L

Table saw fence

I've seen and read several different opinions about the settings for a table saw fence. I am working on my saws (Saw Stop) set up and would appreciate some input. Set it from blade/miter slot front and rear the same or open it a small amount on the rear.
  3. L

PVC boards

Can PVC boards be planned or joined without damage to the knives?
  4. L

Finishing poplar with dye and gel stain

Would it be best to seal poplar with shellac or blotch control before using dye followed by stain. I know using water based dye will raise the grain so if I don't use a sealer I will spray with water before dye. need to take in account of raising the grain with a coat of...
  5. L

Epoxy small table top finish

I'm making a couple small tables out of cherry for m,y seven and nine year old grandchildren and would like to use epoxy after a Waterlox finish for protection against tough use. Any suggestions on brand and application would help this novice out.
  6. L

Juniper for boats

The lumber company in Gatesville (mentioned above) is the primary source for the boat builders on the Outer Banks. I have purchased from them and also form a lumber yard close to Columbia, NC, on highway 64 not milled whose name I can't remember but I can get for you if you want non-milled...
  7. L

Tried and True Varnish Oil

I’ve been waiting 24 hours between coats and have rubbed several times after 60 minutes as instructions but still oily
  8. L

Tried and True Varnish Oil

I am trying Tried and True stain and the Varnish Oil. I have put on thin coats of the varnish oil and rubbed and rubbed. It doesn’t seem that it will dry. Anyone with experience with this product give me some pointers. Also when and if it dries can you put shellac or pure varnish over it.
  9. L

Finishing poplar

Blotching is the problem. I’ve tried sealing with shellac 2 lb and so Minwax sealer on separate pieces and than tried a coat of both. I am trying to use walnut stain and not dye.
  10. L

Finishing poplar

11. L

Finishing poplar

I am making some low material price bookcases for my three young grand kids. I chose poplar due to the price. Finishing has been a night mare. I’ve tried using shellac as a sealer and another sanding sealer and I have failed to get suitable results. Any help or suggestions would be much...
  12. L

Shellac Flakes

I have Started to mix my own Shellac and want some expert advice with some folks that have more experience. Which brand is best for mixing and where to purchase.
  13. L

Water base polyurethane

I have a question about the General Finish’s water based polyurethane. I have seen Utube videos about how great it is and how easy it is to apply. Anyone used it and how was the results.
  14. L

wanted to buy

I want to buy several used parallel clamps 24 inch, 31 inch, or 36 inch.
  15. L

Bees wax

If you use bees wax on a plane will it affect finishes
  16. L

Edge gluing

I do have a Helical head on joiner and planner
  17. L

Edge gluing

If I get you right "out" board would have to run thru the planer reversed from the" In" board.
  18. L

Edge gluing

19. L

Edge gluing

Not sure I understand. I meant the two edges I’m running thru joiner at the same time will be the two edges glued together. Just not sure how to turn the edges. Like book pages or sides reversed.
  20. L

Edge gluing

Several years ago I saw an article that explained if you ran two boards at the same time on edge thru the jointer they would match perfect on the edge when gluing together. I guess that was because a jointer can be off a small amount off even when the fence is square. What I don't remember is...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS