Search results

1. Jerome B

removing mold staining from air dried SYP

I have some SYP that stained while it was air drying. The stain goes way into the wood. Other than paint is there a way to get rid of these stains? Iam thinking of trying oxalic acid.
  2. Jerome B

VFD inverter has given up the ghost now what help.

The VFD on my 3520A Powermatic has decided to not work after the move to the new garage. After 15 years and a move I guess it is to be expected. So the question is "What do I do Now?" The VFD iniverter has been discontinued. In poking around the internet I see that I can buy a refurbed one...
  3. Jerome B

Looking for someone to turn a few porch posts

I am redoing my porch and I need 7 turned 6" x 96" turned victorian porch posts. They can be done in segments or they can be turned whole. I am not terribly picky. Is there anyone around that does this? My lathe is down so I can't do it myself at this time. Thanks, Jerome
  4. Jerome B

A Great source of Walnut in Chapel Hill

I was just over at Keith Yow's saw mill yesterday. He just retired from teaching furniture making at Cedar Grove HS. He has a great selection of walnut, ponderosa pine, and I believe some birch. The walnut ranges from 5/4-16/4 and he has a good amount of wide stuff. His prices are good. Go...
  5. Jerome B

Electrical options of r setting up a new shop

I am moving my shop into a new space, the garage at my new house. I am looking at options of what to do about electricity, and I am trying to think long term. The garage is detached from the house. I am wondering which is the better option. 1.Run a line from the house fuse panel (200 amp) or...
  6. Jerome B

best source for wide SYP boards?

I am about to make some Thomas Jefferson book boxes. I need some SYP that is atleast 13" wide prefereably 5/4 thick, but 4/4 will do. Where can I find material like? While I am at it I need some wide Walnut boards also. I am in Graham.
  7. Jerome B

Free Fine Woodworking library

I letting go of my Fine Woodworking Library It runs from 1977-2008. I am giving it away. Anyone interested in it? I am moving and I am not sure if I want to take it along with me. I am outside of Chapel Hill, NC -Edit: Magazines have been taken Jerome
  8. Jerome B

table legs in need of a home

I have two or three complete Duncan phyfe dining room table, table legs that I inherited. I have had them in the attic for way too long. They need a new home. I don't want to send them to the trash so if someone is interested they are yours. Jerome Mebane, NC
  9. Jerome B

WTB Butternut lumber

I am working on a project that calls for butternut aka "white walnut." I am looking for 5/4 (final dim 7/8") and 6/4 thickness. Does anyone have a a suggestion of where I could get some. Thanks, Jerome Bias
  10. Jerome B

Free dining room table - needs love

I have a dining room table that I am ready to let go of. I am not quite sure how to get rid of it so I thought that I would post it here and see if anyone is interested in taking it on as a project. This is am image of half of it. the other half is still in the attic. The veneer...
  11. Jerome B

Even the blotchy stuff: Staining and finishing wood without fear- workshop

I am working with the local chapter of the Society of American Period Furniture Makers to put together a workshop on color theory and finishing. I would be most grateful if you could pass this information about the workshop along to your members. The workshop is titled...
  12. Jerome B

looking for beveled siding

I was wondering if any of the saw mills in the area could make beveled siding? A friend of mine is in need of some. Thanks, Jerome
  13. Jerome B

what to do with Holly

A friend of mine is cutting down some Holy trees and asked I as interested in them. I know that 2 of them are dead already, but there are at least 2 more that are alive. The trunks are about 12" in diameter. Does it make sense to go after these things and if I do is there an ideal way to saw...
  14. Jerome B

sweating it out at the woodwright school

Day 4 of the woodlands course at the woodwright school Horrible isn't it. Jerome
  15. Jerome B

project almost finished thanks for the help

Thanks for pointing me in the direction of the two part wood bleach. I could not have done this without your help. This is a recreation of a Thomas Day washstand. Like the original it is made of poplar and walnut. I have never mixed two woods before. I was really worried that I couldn't get...
  16. Jerome B

aren't there laws of physics

I just got my new Snow and Nealy axe and I had to try it. I thought that I had beat this tree into submission, but down it will not fall. There isn't much left shouldn't it have fallen by now. Jerome
  17. Jerome B

wood bleach

So what is up with wood bleach. I can't find it anywhere. I have a walnut washstand that I am having a few color issues. It has some really dark spots from pitting in the wood - gnarliness from a burl. I thought that I would bleach the top and the rest of the piece and then color it to...
  18. Jerome B

Thomas Day Images

I thought that I would post a few images that I took last week. They are of a shoot of a Woodwright Shop episode on Thomas Day. It is to air in December. Roy is a real hoot We had a great time. The house shown is up in Caswell County. it also has a a cool duplex slave cabin. Jerome
  19. Jerome B

Thomas Day Exhibit

I am looking for some objective opinions. I worked on a few parts of it and think that my perspective is a little to detail oriented. Has anyone gone to see the new Thomas Day exhibit? And if so what did you think? Thanks, Jerome
  20. Jerome B

value of deconstructed house

I got a call this afternoon from my cousin asking about the value of abandoned houses for reclaimed lumber. It turns out a friend of his has inherited a house somewhere here in NC and recently got a call from someone asking to buy and dismantle the house for the lumber. my cousin was wondering...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS