Search results

1. JRD

Best Glue for Cutting Boards

I've been able to get a hold of some outstanding Maple boards that I'd like to use to whip up some last minute cutting boards as presents. Considering a cutting board may be subject to water and moisture, what glues have you used? I'm thinking along the lines of Titebond 3. Thanks, Jim
  2. JRD

Too Small?

I'm looking for any and all tips to help in the installation of a new band saw tire. The top tire on my Delta 145 inch saw needs replacement, so I purchased one from Poly Belt but it sure looks mighty small. I realise it needs to be put into near boiling water to aid in installation, but how...
  3. JRD

For Larger Minds than Mine

Just started wondering and no one I've asked in conversation has been able to provide a good answer. Thus, I toss it out to larger minds than mine. Why are treated 4x4's that off green color, when treated decking boards are not? I assume the same non-arsenic based treatment is used, or if not...
  4. JRD

Small Hard Drive

Call me cheap, I prefer frugal. I am reworking a Dell Dimension 4700 for my neice and am in need of replacement SATA hard drive. I'm finding plenty available but all are far too large for what is needed. Does anyone know of a source for smaller drives (80 to 120 GB capacity). I can't see...
  5. JRD

It Took A While

For the past 20 years I've had my Grandfathers pistol tucked away in a drawer with only an oily rag wrapped around it, and for the past twenty years, I've been saying that I need to make a special box to keep it in. I finally got one of those "round-2-its" that seem to be the shop tool many of...
  6. JRD

What Happened To Photo Gallery

I haven't visited the gallery for a while now, so today I was wanting to post some photos but can't find a button for the gallery. Have I gone blind, or is there something I'm missing in addition to a brain? Jim
  7. JRD

Varnish A Solvent?

While I generally stick with that spinning wood device, the lathe, at times I try flat boards too. Hence the question. I've used Locktight spray glue to hold down a piece of veneer, but after using varnish over the veneer, it's started to de-laminate. Is that to be expected and what other...
  8. JRD

Forstner Bits

Looking for some advice here. My set of Forstner bits had become very dull, probably because of overheating them. I've purchased a new set but before throwing the old ones away, I've got to ask, '"can they be resharpened?" If so, where can I take them? It kills me to throw them out if...
  9. JRD

Who I Am?

Just one of the many people who love woodworking, and in particular, lathe work. I see it as my purpose in being is to take cut up pieces of tree and make them round again like they were to begin with. I suppose this is what I was expected to write here. Jim
  10. JRD

Spalting, Nothing Finer

After making a number of travel mugs for others over the years, I finally decided to turn one for myself. I can not imagine a nicer piece of wood than this spalted Pecan. I'm very pleased with the outcome.
  11. JRD

Should I Keep It?

A co-worker who is moving has given me an old Craftsman shaper, somewhat rusty, one bit, but it spins right up. So here's the issue. It appears to me my Router will do just about anything I could do with the shaper, and I already have plenty of Router bits. What's the difference, and is there...
  12. JRD

Hypothetical Question

Hypothetically, if I had the strange urge to try turn a cornucopia I might seek some advice from fellow woodworkers. Seems to me, hypothetically of course, it would be easy to turn a hollow cone on the lathe. Hypothetically, if turned from green wood, it would deform from a true cone in the...
  13. JRD

Took a While, but worth it

I've had this project to attempt in my head for quite a while, but long days at work and irregular days off have really slowed me down. Now I can say, I finally had a chance to bring it to fruition. Vase is Walnut and spalted White Oak, the bands in the collar are some Maple I saved from a...
  14. JRD

Interesting uses for wood

Found this site a few months ago, but today's submission is eye candy for wood lovers www.oddee.com/item_97176.aspx Enjoy! Jim
  15. JRD

Bandsaw Tire Question

Finally got to use my brand new Delta bandsaw today. After following the assembly instructions to the letter I started it up and it ran great, for about two minutes. A slapping sound behind the top wheel access door and I found the tire had come off the wheel while the blade was still centered...
  16. JRD

Delta Parts

Several weeks ago the tool rest on my Delta LA200, midi lathe broke and I'm having a devil of a time finding a replacement. Delta has discontinued the part, and I've yet to find one elsewhere online. Anyone with any ideas on where to get another, or where and at what cost another might be...
  17. JRD

Welding Woodworker?

I'm looking for someone on the Cary/Raleigh area who can do a simple weld for me. While on the lathe this morning for my calendar entry this year, the tool rest broke off, right at the top of it's post. Anyone willing to weld the two back together? Thanks, Jim
  18. JRD

Nice to be Back!

Finally I'm beginning to feel like getting some work done following surgery almost two months ago. Besides the restrictions on how much I can lift go off on Friday, so now there won't be any excuses. My first work in a while is displayed here. A Red Oak box with Walnut insert on the top. A...
  19. JRD

Unusual Roots

I attended my nieces wedding this past weekend in Greenville, SC. While there we took a walk in the downtown Reedy River park where my eyes caught sight of this full size tree growing on the side of a hill. It was so unusual, I just had to post it. Enjoy! Jim View image in gallery
  20. JRD

Veneer Tips?

While committed to the "Dark Side", every now and then I try to learn something new. I'm trying to master veneer application and am looking for any good tips. The veneer I have is not perfectly flat, in that it has quite a few ripples and refuses to lay flat to the board I want to apply it to...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors