Search results

1. JMcanoe

If you don't have a riving knife on your old table saw

It's on a 3 hp Delta left tilt Unisaw with Biesmeyer fence - not that old, but one of the last ones made in the US. Purchased the Shark Guard splitter around 2007. Didn't get the full guard - just the splitter - because I am using a Brett over-arm guard
  2. JMcanoe

If you don't have a riving knife on your old table saw

Another endorsement for the Shark Guard. Used a blade alignment tool to make sure it was properly installed. It can be set below the blade height so it can remain in place when cutting dadoes.
  3. JMcanoe

Worksharp 3000 questions

The diamond coated flat lap disks can be found on Amazon Amazon.com or Flat Lap Dics
  4. JMcanoe

Worksharp 3000 questions

I've acquired a Worksharp 3000 and have some questions for those of you familiar with this sharpening tool. It came with the wide blade platform and jig, 3 glass disks, the leather pad stropping disk, and an assortment of Klingspor paper adhesive backed sanding disks (5 each of 5 different grits...
  5. JMcanoe

Bosch repair service in Triangle area?

I have a 4x24 Bosch belt sander that won't start. Replacing brushes didn't help. I opened the handle and power is getting to the switch, and power gets past the switch when it is turned on. Drive belt turns freely, but not too freely. However, the motor doesn't come on when the switch is...
  6. JMcanoe

Biscuit joiner

I got a good deal on a lightly used Porter Cable several years ago. It's nice for installing face frames on cabinets/bookshelves. I made the jig in the attached link (worth $6 for the downloadable plans) and it greatly enhanced its operation - quicker, repeatable, everything stayed flat, and the...
  7. JMcanoe

Wooden boat restoration

Very interesting compilation video of wooden boat restoration in Norway.
  8. JMcanoe

Trustworthy Measurement Tools

I use a steel machinist square for calibrating tools (table saw fence, etc). One combo square I like is made by LaSquare. The wide base is handy in that it stands upright on its own and works well on odd shapes (tubes, etc). It's a little pricey (about $85 on Amazon) but made a good Christmas...
  9. JMcanoe

Dowels vs Bisquits vs Dominos

I built this for a PC biscuit joiner and found it greatly improved speed and accuracy. Worth $6 for the downloaded plans. https://www.woodstore.net/Accurate-Alignment-biscuit-Joiner-Jig-p/gr-00449.htm
  10. JMcanoe

Bandsaw jigs

The roller guide made by Magswitch is nice for resaw, but you pay for it. Magswitch Dual Roller Guide - 8110130 - Magswitch Technology Also for resaw, and even more pricey, is the GuidePro by Bow products. I haven't tried one, but I like their feather board for the table saw and it's stacking...
  11. JMcanoe

Cleaning tap and dies

I picked up an assortment of tap and dies as part of an auction purchase. Many of them need to have a mix of oil and crud cleaned off, but thankfully no rust. I'm considering using mineral spirits, brake cleaner or liquid wrench penetrating oil to remove the accumulated gunk. Any recommendations?
  12. JMcanoe

Bandsaw Tire Check

I put Blue Max ultra duty urethane tires on my Shop Fox 19" bandsaw about 4 years ago to replace the originals and have been very pleased with them. They suggested putting them in warm water to make them easier to put on. I didn't want any moisture in the saw so I just put them on the dashboard...
  13. JMcanoe

replacing Workmate tables

I have a couple of old B&D workmates that need new tables. Each piece is 5"x29"x1". I'll need 4 total and will use the old ones as a template for the holes. I'll also be putting a v-groove on the clamping edge of each. Has anyone else done this? I'm wondering about the best material to use...
  14. JMcanoe

bandsaw blade welding

I have a chance to get a good deal on a new Lenox bandsaw blade - but it's 13" longer than what my saw uses. Any recommendations on a place in the Triangle area to get it re-sized and welded? For that matter, if they do good work I would consider shipping to a place in Charlotte or the Triad...
  15. JMcanoe

Window Sill Rot

I fought this battle for years on the north and east sides of our 30-year old house where there is no roof overhang. I used Aquamend ( http://www.polymericsystems.com/epoxies-adhesives/epoxy-putty-sticks/aquamend.htm ) or JB Waterweld (...
  16. JMcanoe

Filling Pocket Holes

Whatever fill you use, a good primer coat before painting might help. I prefer Gripper by Glidden for hiding tough spots. It goes on thick and dries quickly. If one coat of primer over a really difficult spot isn't enough, a second coat should do it. If you're using a darkish colored finish...
  17. JMcanoe

Duct fitting for jointer

My Shop Fox jointer came with a plastic fitting for 4 inch ductwork. I would like to switch this to a fitting for 5 inch duct, not just put a 4 to 5 inch adapter on it. I found an online spiral pipe vendor that would do a rectangular to round offset 20 gage metal fitting. It looks real nice...
  18. JMcanoe

Building a workshop

With regards to heat. If I had it to do over again I would install radiant floor heating in my garage/workshop (http://www.concretenetwork.com/radiant-floor-heating/). It would eliminate any concerns about dust, flame, blowers etc. I have no idea how much it costs - but in any case it must be...
  19. JMcanoe

Lift gate rental

I've been looking around for a jointer or jointer/planer combo and have seen few on Craigslist that have possibilities. Before I make the purchase I've been contemplating how to get the thing home and unloaded. I have a utility trailer rated for 2000 pounds, but would still need to lift 700...
  20. JMcanoe

Woodturning exhibit at NCSU

This is related to the other posting on this forum regarding the Dale Nish demo on Friday, 2/5. You should also take in the exhibit at the Gregg Museum gallery in the Talley Student center - about 2 blocks west of Thompson Hall where the workshop is being held on 2/5. This exhibit will be in...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS