Search results

1. R

Trim Router Table *Found new home*

Small router table for a trim router. Got it and never used it, ended up getting a larger router table. Hoping someone here can use it. No charge, just take it. Faceplate is for a Makita router. Barnardsville area
  2. R

Simple Wall Display Project

Had gotten a request from a lady for her grandson (soon to be born) on a project for a wall hanger. Parents wanted a 'cowboy theme' display and wanted it rustic. 'Rustic' is in my wheelhouse so I took it on. Had some old pallet wood I'd been keeping. Snagged a small hat and boots. Gave them...
  3. R

Rikon lathe 220v help...

All... I upgraded my lathe yet again. This time I got the Rikon 1824 in 220. I'm confused about the plug. I purchased a 20A Nema 6-20P. The manual states 'Fig A shows the 220 3 wire plug and...' But the lathe has 4 wires. I assume one is for the 110v accessory plug, but how do I...
  4. R

First Time Epoxy...repost from General Forum

Reposting here at staff request... Finished up a couple boards this last weekend. My first two attempts at epoxy resin. Will go through my process and some of the issues I encountered, no so much for education, but to see from any of you more experienced where I may have fallen short... so...
  5. R

Interesting Short Video on Band Saw Blade Sharpening

Firstly, I found it odd that he was not using a fence, but aside... have any of you seen such a little jig for sharpening? I've zero experience in this and so I'm clueless on it, but did find the video interesting nonetheless.
  6. R

My Latest and Biggest

So I realize this isnt quite up to what many of you are doing here, but as a newbie, I'm tickled with how this is turning out. Started out a shade under 14 inches in diameter and now down to around 12.5 or so after rounding out. Got the wood from a buddy who is a forum member here. I'm...
  7. R

VFD's... anyone?

I have three VFD's currently. One on each of my 2x72 belt grinders and another on a disc grinder. I noticed lately that the revers switch on the VFD will not stay put. The grinder will run in reverse if I hold the switch down, but will not stay down as it does in the forward position...
  8. R

Resin/Wood Boards... anyone with experience?

Consulting the brain trust here for anyone with first hand knowledge, specifically pouring in cold weather. I'm planning on a couple charcuterie boards with resin and shout out to Ric at Old Souls Customs, got a nice slab of maple with some quilting from him today at a good price. He works...
  9. R

Not Too Sure About This Forum. May Need To Delete My Account..... ;-)

Before finding this forum, I was perfectly happy with my starter lathe and easy to use carbide tools... My 9 inch band saw was almost adequate. Nobody really 'needs' a planer or jointer as it doesn't matter if things aren't really flat. And, I didn't even know what a scroll saw was. Fast...
  10. R

PE from Near Durham to Asheville-ish *No longer needed, THANKS!*

All.. first attempt at the PE. I've secured a deal on a scroll saw but it's around 5 hours away in Louisburg, NC. Slightly NE of Durham. If anyone may be traveling to Asheville or close, I'd appreciate it!
  11. R

Weekend Work

So some of this isnt wood and some is... hope that is ok. Been excited to do some turning this weekend. I've went to a local forum members house now twice who has given me some great tips. I'll not name him here unless he pops up, but suffice to say the information has been invaluable to me...
  12. R

Planer vs Resin/Wood Boards

Not sure where exactly to post this, so posting to 'General'. I'm planning on doing some charcuterie boards with wood/resin. Is there any considerations to this when using a benchtop planer to flatten the tops? I realize a drum sander would give a better finish, but I dont have a drum...
  13. R

Clark Drill Press

Hope all had a great Thanksgiving. Was wondering if anyone had any information on a Clark 644 Drill Press. I picked this up locally from a fellow who said he was offloading it because he couldnt find any info or parts if needed so I got it cheap. It's a floor standing model, very heavy. Has...
  14. R

Wood Drying Newbie Question

Reaching out to the collective experience here. Have tried to look online and not finding exactly what I'm looking for. With regards to drying blanks for bowls, my understanding is one can turn green to a point and then finish up as the wood dries. I'm good there and have done smaller bowls...
  15. R

I Get to Test Rikon Customer Service

Yep... my brand new lathe has died after two weeks. Was turning snowmen and turned it off to remove a finished snowman, chucked up another section of wood and... nothing. No lights on display, no nothing. Known good plug. Checked fuse in control box, showed continuity. Not knocking the...
  16. R

Benchtop Planer Advice

So far, this group has been great in advice on a lathe upgrade as well as a band saw. The next item I am considering is a benchtop planer. Usage will be infrequent and mainly for smoothing down knife scales or perhaps some resin hybrid cutting boards. It's one of those items that I rarely...
  17. R

Lathe Stand from Rolling Toolbox *edit... FAIL*

Back with another newbie question. While I wait until my new lathe arrives, I've been considering the space wasted by the stand. Right now, I have a stand I made that is mostly sturdy and I've drilled holes in various places to hold tools and such on it. I was looking at some rolling toolboxes...
  18. R

Pondering Lathe Upgrade

I have a Nova Comet 2 12x16.5 lathe. I've had it now for a couple years and have had no issues with it and dont really feel like I'm missing anything with the smaller lathe. I mainly turn small bowls with it. Aside from larger bowl potential, what might I be limited on currently? I've been...
  19. R

Band Saw Sanity Check

Evening, folks Looking for a sanity check here on a band saw. I'd like to first give a little description of the proposed usage of this tool and see if I'm on the right track. Despite this being a woodworker forum, I cant call myself a woodworker. I mainly do blacksmithing and make knives...
  20. R

Wood Turning Woes

For those who saw my introduction post, you know that I am new. I got my Nova Comet 2 about a month ago. So far, aside from some very limited practice spindle work, I have turned three bowls. Each has been a challenge. East Indian Rosewood, Canarywood and African Mahogany. It seems the...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS