Search results

1. R

5 W'S - Who What Where When & Why

I'll play... I'm Rob.. out in Western NC. I do blacksmithing, knifemaking, wood turning and some charcuterie boards and whatever else that catches my eye. Not great at any of it... Been looking at laser engravers so I may tag you on IM for some questions if you dont mind!
  2. R

It's almost time (Raffle Smack Talk Thread)

Future ad in the classifieds... For Sale.. Grizzly 14 inch bandsaw. Priced to sell as I dont need it any more because I won the Rikon band saw.
  3. R

Trim Router Table *Found new home*

That's a bit of a trek, but if we can figure it out... it's yours, sir
  4. R

Trim Router Table *Found new home*

Small router table for a trim router. Got it and never used it, ended up getting a larger router table. Hoping someone here can use it. No charge, just take it. Faceplate is for a Makita router. Barnardsville area
  5. R

Not quite a new woodworker in Marshall, NC

Sounds good, sir. Not sure how much of a 'wood worker' I am, but I do turnings, some charcuterie boards and blacksmithing/knifemaking. Still relatively new to all this.
  6. R

Not quite a new woodworker in Marshall, NC

Welcome. I'm just down the road in Barnardsville. Most of my family is from Marshal
  7. R

Tool Identification - specialty pliars

I think this.... They look awful short for blacksmith tongs. Would singe your hand pretty good using those for such. That said, I have made several shorter tongs for smaller work. I can use them blacksmithing, they just arent NEAR as comfortable to use as full sized tongs. That forge...
  8. R

Wooden Cups

I have turned several small shot glasses and have used walnut oil mixed with powdered pine rosin. They turned out ok and didnt leak.
  9. R

Box Elder Burl Platter

Great stuff, T. I've experimented with some dyes and havent quite been able to master it yet. Thanks for the site... a new place to send my money! I'd not heard of them, but already eyeing a few pieces there.
  10. R

Rikon lathe 220v help...

Morning, sir. I got mine from Klingspoor, but did have to order it. Took a month or so to get in. I looked all over for one and didnt see one so ordered sight unseen. As far as likes and dislikes, I cant think of any negative other than you will need another person so help unload and set...
  11. R

Rikon lathe 220v help...

and that seems to be the standard response... 'it'll work and has for a long time, but I cant recommend it'... haha I may just go ahead and tape off the N at the plug and forego the accessory plug. I've had the lathe now for several months and have yet to use it for a light. I've got very...
  12. R

Rikon lathe 220v help...

Yes.... you are correct, sir and I suppose I should have updated this thread. Rikon admitted that the manual was in error. I've still not changed the plug over as it will require me to run another ground. I only ran a 3 wire bundle in preparation after seeing the manual. I've tied the white...
  13. R

New member from Candler NC

Welcome... I'm a little north of you in Barnardsville. Havent yet figured out what I want to specialize in, either. I do blacksmithing, knifemaking, wood turning and other various trinkets.
  14. R

New Member form Weaverville, NC.

Welcome... Just a touch north of you in Barnardsville here. Wood turning, blacksmithing, knifemaking is where I concentrate time. I have a nice scroll saw and hoping to incorporate that, but as of yet.. I've not delved into it!
  15. R

I’ve been practicing and learning as I go!

Just ordered a pyro kit last night, in fact. Wanted a way to sign projects without using a sharpie. Nice to see there are other applications for this as well and one is only limited by talent/skill! Great work
  16. R

Simple Wall Display Project

99% of the steel I use is 1084, 1095 or 5160. Those are the easiest to heat treat. I'm just not set up for stainless.
  17. R

Simple Wall Display Project

Had gotten a request from a lady for her grandson (soon to be born) on a project for a wall hanger. Parents wanted a 'cowboy theme' display and wanted it rustic. 'Rustic' is in my wheelhouse so I took it on. Had some old pallet wood I'd been keeping. Snagged a small hat and boots. Gave them...
  18. R

Trip planned to Asheville/Weaverville area

True... I grew up in Weaverville and I always forget about Vance Birthplace. Never been to Cormark though. Need to drop in some time. As to Stony Knob Cafe. Funny... back when I was a kid, it was called Stony Knob Restaurant and it was a little dump. They changed to 'cafe' and cleaned...
  19. R

Trip planned to Asheville/Weaverville area

There is Old Souls Custom Creations in Barnardsville. Just a little hop away from Weavervegas. Rik is a a great guy. His shop is just about 3 min away from my house. Not a storefront, but lots of slabs to drool over.
  20. R

Rikon lathe 220v help...

I'll confirm with Rikon tomorrow. I've used the lathe all weekend (with a light on the 110v accessory plug) with no issues.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS