Search results

1. J

Intarsia Wall Project Part 2

New Post started. See previous post for background. Design for the sky, ground and path are now completed. The first of three panels (each 60"w x 111" high) is essentially complete with the exception of the woman's outstretched hand and her right eye which I managed to completely miss the mark...
  2. J

My last DeWalt Tool - ever

The recent post on a DeWalt tool prompted me to post this issue. It's a DCD 793 drill/driver and I bought it to replace a bad trigger switch on the previous one. Age of previous about 2 years. This one also has a switch issue - but it's the forward/reverse switch. Just after warrantee it...
  3. J

Need a small piece of Padauk

Anyone in the triangle area have about 1/2 sq ft of padauk they are willing to sell? 3" minimum width. Prefer 3/4 thick but 4/4 is fine. The oranger the better - I'm making oranges for the intarsia wall. Thanks ---
  4. J

Intarsia Wall Artwork Process - Warning: no woodworking here

Here's a very brief description of the process I use to create the cut patterns for the Intarsia Wall project. Probably not of great interest to most, but a few might find it interesting. This build is the remaining two figures for the food pantry scene recently posted. To create the figures...
  5. J

Project Timer

Over the years, I've tried to keep track of the hours spent on a project with essentially no success. There's also been several discussions here about what to charge for projects on a per-hour basis and a recent one by @Wilsoncb about $175 for HVAC vs the value of projects which raised the...
  6. J

Humidor for my son for Christmas - How it works

This was started a little less than a year ago and got pushed to the wayside for other projects. Sapele carcass lined with cedar. Flame maple inlayed top with India inked trim. Maple-sapele-maple splines. Two all- cedar trays hold about 60 mid-sized cigars. Lid and body lap joint for humidity...
  7. J

Schaaf Carving Tools review

About a month ago I purchased a set of 12 "professionally sharpened" Schaaf carving tools off of amazon. Given the limited amount of carving I intend to do, I just couldn't justify the prices of the very high end tools and took a chance on these. They are made of the same or very similar tool...
  8. J

Silas Kopf marquetry

The back cover of the Feb '24 (#308) edition of FW features some awesome marquetry by Silas Kopf. Upon checking out is website, silaskopf.com, I was very impressed by his artistry - not only by his marquetry but by his furniture design also. It's worth the few minutes it takes to browse.
  9. J

Christmas Present

My daughter and son-in-law live in Montana and love to camp in their 32ft motor home. When I saw the NC map of state parks posted by @beloitdavisja, I was inspired to do a similar project but originally thought I'd do all the national parks. Through a series of sneaky questions, I figured out...
  10. J

Easy In-situ Light Pipes

I'm making my daughter a Christmas present that requires the light of 110 LEDs to be brought from pockets in the back of the facepiece to the front. The holes for the light are 1/8" diameter. I looked at acrylic rods inserted into the holes and various materials that could be injected...
  11. J

Intarsia Wall Project

A few months back, I committed to designing and building a "somewhat large" intarsia project for our church. The work will cover a significant portion of one of the entry area's (Narthex) walls - the resulting image will be 15' wide by 9'-3" high. For you math types - yes, that's very close...
  12. J

Carving tool recommendations

I'm stepping out beyond my knowledge/comfort zone for a project and need advice on upper-middle of the road carving tools. First - what essential tools for sculpting what is essentially bas-relief faces and bodies? Second - what brand? Pfeil looks great, but more than I want to spend. Narex...
  13. J

Oramask and CNC trial

After getting several good ideas from fellow WWers, on how to darken cherry under a CNC-cut maple veneer I tested the Oramask film. In a word - Excellent. Here's the process for those with similar interest: 1) After sanding the maple veneer to 220, coat with 2 coats dewaxed shellac, lightly...
  14. J

Any ideas how to...

I'd like to slightly darken some cherry under maple veneer that has been CNCed away. See picture. Normally I use solid maple then hand paint (ink) the numbers. It's a lot of tedious work. I've done this technique in the reverse - maple under cherry veneer and it works fine. Leaving it in the...
  15. J

660 Blocks of Wood on the Wall

Recent piece utilizing the 1.5 x 1.5 x 1.75 poplar blocks cut out a couple of months ago. Randomly positioned in the Z dimension. When viewed from any angle but pretty much straight on the image deteriorates. The photo doesn't do the straight on view justice due to the camera's very short focal...
  16. J

Not much woodworking, but maybe interesting to some

I was asked by our church to build a tabletop tomb for the weeks leading up to and including Easter. To make it more impactful, I came up with the "brilliant" idea to make it FULL SIZED. After doing a fair bit of research on 1st century tombs, I settled on this design. Size: 10' w x 5'3" h...
  17. J

First Intarsia test

I will be doing a triptych artwork for a large 10' high x 25' wide wall for a church. The original plan was to do it as a marble mosaic. Being very impressed and inspired by @ScottM intarsia work, I decided to make a test piece using the technique. Many thanks to Scott for his helpful...
  18. J

Self-retracting stop block

When faced with having to cut 600 short (1.75") pieces from 1.5" x 1.5" planed poplar stock, here is the stop block I used. It retracks so the short piece can't rotate and get grabbed by the blade. It took about 30 minutes to make form scraps around the shop. It uses the right edge of the...
  19. J

Simple Round End Table

This is the second table incorporating a round brass tray for the same couple in Chapel Hill. Diameter is 20", height: 19" (a little short, but it will be next to a specific chair - the last picture is a rendering of what I sent the client for design approval). Per discussion of interest...
  20. J

Send Cut Send Sale

Sendcutsend is a laser cutting house that has expanded to CNC, bending, powder-coating, etc and to many types of materials. I use them for almost all my clock hands as well as many other metal parts. Easy to use with instant pricing - just upload your CAD file, select material and quantity and...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors