Search results

1. KurtB

Building my hand tool skills

Just finished up a nice little Shaker table using my resto'd hand tools. First time cutting half-blind and through dovetails. I love the look of the cherry! I really enjoy having to focus and get my oft-scattered mind quieted down.
  2. KurtB

Can I use this piece of Cherry for a drawer front?

Good morning, I'm building a small Shaker table using cherry. I have a piece of cherry that I'm considering for the drawer front. (photo below) It has some figure to it that I'd be able to center nicely. The drawer is 3 1/2 inches high and the rails above and below are 3/4 inch. All will...
  3. KurtB

Drywall seams question

I'm wondering if anyone can help with this. I've removed popcorn from several the ceilings in our house. Once removed, it appears the tape job most likely wasn't up to fully finished standards for painting. I guess because of the popcorn being sprayed on. So I've gone over the joints between the...
  4. KurtB

Thank You Matt Buntyn

Have to give thanks to Matt for the pics of his Shaker Side Table. Right around the time I was looking to build a small table for the side of our couch his photos arrived in the Forums. I thought it was beautiful and decided on a similar design for mine. The dimensions are a bit different at 12"...
  5. KurtB

What kind of wood is this?

Hi folks, Beautiful day here on the coast. My wife has an old White sewing machine. It's enclosed within an old style sewing table. She has asked if I could refinish the table. I suggested we begin with the underside of the top to see what we're dealing with. So this morning I put some stripper...
  6. KurtB

Small Table Restore Questions

Hello everyone, I wasn't sure what Forum to put this in. Hopefully it's okay here. We picked up a small table at a flea market last week. I just thought the proportions, design, etc. were attractive. In any case, I have now stripped off the finish since it was a mess, and I've got a few...
  7. KurtB

Advice on How to Bring This Finish Back

I wonder if anyone can give me some advice on restoring a finish. My wife and I were at an antique/flea mall over the weekend and I picked up this Nichols and Stone Captain's Chair for $15. Guy was closing up his booth so I got a nice deal on it. Apparently, Nichols and Stone is out of Mass. and...
  8. KurtB

Your Thoughts on DeWalt 734 vs 735 Planer

I beginning to move on from using big box lumber to hardwoods. I'm thinking it's probably more cost effective to be able to plane it myself than to buy S4S. So I'm looking into planers. I'm not going to be using it for commercial production type volume, but may be running some 6-8 foot boards...
  9. KurtB

New member in Swansboro

Hello to everyone and thanks again to the folks who answered my initial question so quickly and thoroughly. I am out on the coast in Swansboro. Have been woodworking on and off since I was a kid. I got more serious about it in my 40's, building country pine style furniture, some from books and...
  10. KurtB

Cherry vs Oak for Library Table project

I'm new to working with hardwoods and looking to build a Shaker style library table. I'd like to use cherry as I've heard it's fairly easy to work. The question I have is over cherry's tendency to darken with time. The table will be in the entrance to our house and my wife has a large mirror and...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS