Search results

1. wbarnes

Shop Time / Vise

I had some time this weekend to set aside to work in the shop. My shop needs lots of love and has been neglected for the past year and a half. Finally got my first vise mounted at least in a temporary spot on my bench. Is there a general rule as to how much bigger the chop is than the faceplate...
  2. wbarnes

DONE. WTB: Dovetail Saw

Anyone have a used saw they don’t use? Looking for a used dovetail saw to try my hand at using hand tools and focusing on craftsmanship instead of just throwing something together that’s functional. I’m not wanting to break the bank, but I also recognize that I don’t know the first thing about...
  3. wbarnes

Plywood or Veneer

I’ll be building a double vanity in the not too distant future which raised some questions about material selection. Is veneered plywood essentially the same as buying veneer and applying it to a substrate in this application? Is there an advantage of one over the other aside from cost and time...
  4. wbarnes

Finish sprayer upgrade?

I currently have a Wagner Flexio 5000 HVLP similar to this Flexio. I’ve only used it for small projects like painting interior doors and cabinets. Turned out better than rolling but I’m not totally impressed with it. Someone nearby is selling a Graco Magnum X5 unit for less than I paid for...
  5. wbarnes

Free - (8) 10” saw blades

I got a large batch of used 10” saw blades at an auction for $5. Willing to offer 8 of the worst ones to anyone who could use them. I wouldn’t use these on a saw, but I see several people here use saw blades for the tool steel. I’ll bring driving across the state on I-40 this Thursday night...
  6. wbarnes

Good after work project

One of my wife’s friends wanted a porch swing that would fit a crib mattress. Guess who had to design and build it… Made on the cheap with 2x4s and 1x4 furring strips. Total cost $80.
  7. wbarnes

How to make >45 degree cut?

Trying to figure out a way to cut about a 60 degree angle along the length of a piece of wood that is 2.5” tall, 16” long, and 7” wide. Table saw only goes to 45 degrees and if I stand the piece up to run it through at 30 degrees the blade wouldn’t go all the way through the cut. Can this be...
  8. wbarnes

Work “Going Away” Plaque Build

One of my coworkers got a new job so next week is his last week. I decided to make him a “going away” plaque as we called them in the Marine Corps instead of the generic framed photo my office usually does, so decided to show the design, process, and finished product as it takes shape. I...
  9. wbarnes

SOLD Incra Pro Fence - $100 CL (Greenville, NC)

Not mine, but seems like a good price for an Incra fence. If I recall, I saw a few posts on this fence system a week or two back. https://eastnc.craigslist.org/tls/d/greenville-incra-jig-ultra/7597895989.html
  10. wbarnes

Looking for cheap electric hand planer

Anyone have an electric hand planer they don’t need anymore, or is close to Havelock and would let me rent theirs for a day? I need to flatten the crowns on some floor joists for a small home addition project.
  11. wbarnes

Dremel 1672 Scroll Saw

Does anyone have any experience with this saw or can make a recommendation for purchase? The one in the picture below is for sale nearby and looks to be almost new. I doubt I would ever use it for serious scroll saw work; it would probably only be used occasionally for making small templates and...
  12. wbarnes

X-Carve CNC: SOLD

A guy I went to church with recently passed away unexpectedly. His widow is trying to sell his CNC machine for a fair price as she has no need for it. I don’t know a lot about the machine, but if anyone has any serious questions I can forward them to her to get an answer. It does come with some...
  13. wbarnes

Live Edge Walnut Desk

Just finished this desk for my wife. Overall I’m happy with how it turned out, but if I could go back in time I would have done something different. I bought the slab back in May locally and sure enough it wasn’t dried evenly and I think it experienced case hardening. I added C-channel...
  14. wbarnes

Unisaw in New Bern (SOLD)

Not mine. Not endorsing. Seems like a good deal for someone in the market. https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa=Main.Item&itemid=1140&acctid=540
  15. wbarnes

Looking for SawStop 230V contactor box and wires

Before buying new from SawStop, figured I’d check here to see if anyone has a 230V contactor box assembly to convert a PCS175 that they don’t need anymore? Looking for this one here.
  16. wbarnes

What to look for on a used SawStop

I have an opportunity to buy a used PCS 1.75 hp, 36” rip SawStop with the industrial mobile base. Having never used a SawStop, what do I need to look for before pulling the trigger? I know the things to check common to all table saws (broken trunnion, blade alignment, etc.). What do I need to...
  17. wbarnes

Wood ID

Anyone know what this is? I got a decent amount of shorter boards that were being thrown away at a local hardwood plant. It isn’t as hard as oak, not as soft as pine. Maybe somewhere in between the two.
  18. wbarnes

TayTools Clamps

Just got a promotion email from Taylor Toolworks with good deals on clamps. Ordered a four pack of 30”, medium duty F clamps for $28 + shipping. Seems pretty good to me. https://taytools.com/collections/overstock-clamps?afmc=126&utm_campaign=126&utm_source=leaddyno&utm_medium=affiliate
  19. wbarnes

First Hand Plane

Picked up my first hand plane today. Millers Falls No. 9C. Everything is there and looks original to my untrained eye. I’ll try cleaning it up using citric acid for the chip breaker and iron. What is recommended for cleaning the painted parts (lever cap and body)? With the black paint on the...
  20. wbarnes

Questions about acclimating air dried slab

I just got a walnut slab yesterday locally that has been air dried for about 8 years (or so they say). The slab is approximately 6/4 thick, 10’ long, averages 13” wide, and the moisture content is around 12% according to my meter checked in several places. My garage/shop isn’t insulated or...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS