Search results

1. wbarnes

He has a long wait ahead

I think it’s already serving its best purpose… lawn art.
  2. wbarnes

Speaking of SawStop

I have the 1.75 hp and wish I would have gone with 3 hp. Other than that it is a great saw you won’t regret buying.
  3. wbarnes

3 in 1 Crib- Finished piece

That turned out really nice! I like the contrasting woods. I used the same plans and just converted over to the toddler bed this past weekend. I made similar changes on the rails and opted for no rail on the toddler footboard.
  4. wbarnes

Shop Time / Vise

I will eventually. Probably crubber. I had always considered a vise a “nice to have” tool instead of a necessity. My mind was quickly changed as soon as I got this installed as I find I’m using it for everything.
  5. wbarnes

Shop Time / Vise

I had some time this weekend to set aside to work in the shop. My shop needs lots of love and has been neglected for the past year and a half. Finally got my first vise mounted at least in a temporary spot on my bench. Is there a general rule as to how much bigger the chop is than the faceplate...
  6. wbarnes

DONE. WTB: Dovetail Saw

I had a good afternoon yesterday at @Chris C shop. I left with a really nice dovetail saw with some good practice instructions and also had an informative class on plane iron sharpening. Thanks again for having me over, Chris! Looking forward to doing it again sometime.
  7. wbarnes

Thank you both for responding. I think Chris will get me straightened out when I visit his shop next weekend.
  8. wbarnes

Searching for 5/8" Baltic Birch or similar

There isn’t anywhere local that carries BB ply that I have found. You may be able to talk to a local cabinet shop and they could add it to their order for you.
  9. wbarnes

From seeing different comments here over the past several weeks I have come to the same conclusions. Don’t waste time or money on a cheap tool, but I don’t think it should have to break the bank either to be able to learn the basics. Looks like Chris will be able to help me learn to tune as well.
  10. wbarnes

That is extremely generous. I need all the help I can get. Looking forward to your message to set something up.
  11. wbarnes

Thanks, Chris. Looks like you may have some privacy settings that prevent me from PM’ing you.
  12. wbarnes

Anyone have a used saw they don’t use? Looking for a used dovetail saw to try my hand at using hand tools and focusing on craftsmanship instead of just throwing something together that’s functional. I’m not wanting to break the bank, but I also recognize that I don’t know the first thing about...
  13. wbarnes

Hand saw restoration and sharpening workshop

I would be interested in a hand tool basics class towards the coast or even a one on one session if someone offers one nearby
  14. wbarnes

Dovetails

I’m starting to get motivated to go down this rabbit hole as well. Thanks for posting.
  15. wbarnes

Laser cut boxes

Thanks for the link. This will definitely come in handy!
  16. wbarnes

Turning Novice Looking for Recs for Sharpening and Lathe Parts

Not trying to hijack the thread, just trying to clarify and get a better understanding. Are you saying that for a beginner sharpener, almost any wheel on a bench grinder is fine? I ask because I’ve been putting off using my bench grinder to sharpen tools because I thought I needed specific...
  17. wbarnes

Is it worth converting to 220v?

Where do you think specifications and codes come from? Most of them are written or at least reviewed at some stage by an engineer and have a Factor of Safety (FOS) built in. Of course you can always exceed code if that’s what you want to do, but realize that there are times (most of the time?)...
  18. wbarnes

It fits!

Thanks for the offer Mike. I am in the same boat space wise, which is why a mini lathe is on my wish list.
  19. wbarnes

It fits!

I have been considering getting a mini lathe like this as my first lathe to get my feet wet at a reasonable price. Would you recommend this one?
  20. wbarnes

January 2024 Contest - Burners Up!

This is the only wood burning I’ve ever done. It is by no means fancy, but it was effective for the intended purpose. I built a crib for my first son and wanted a way to sign it. Being new to woodworking and this being my first project, I borrowed a cheap pyrography set from a friend. Couldn’t...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors