Search results

1. T

Mover Recommendations for Shop Move From Charlotte to VA

I guess I should clarify. I'm getting a lump sum for the relocation. I'm opting to put some of that towards the relocation.
  2. T

No, I haven't purchased a home yet. At this point I believe we would be looking for a place in Blacksburg or Christiansburg. The job is in Blacksburg, and I've been told that I should avoid relying on 81 to commute in at all costs. As I understand it, there's "in-town" Blacksburg as well as a...
  3. T

Thanks so much. I might take you up on that once I get settled. After looking online, it seems like a number of homes actually have shops of some sort. Hard to tell from pictures online if they are used for woodworking or not. Is woodworking pretty popular in the area?
  4. T

Has anyone on here used Charlotte-based movers for woodshop equipment recently? It looks like I will likely be moving from north of Charlotte to Blacksburg, VA this summer (about 150 miles). My employer is providing relocation funds, but it's up to me to find the movers. If possible, I'd really...
  5. T

SOLD - Festool Domino 700

Hello, I am interested in the Domino. I haven't been active on here in a few weeks, however, and I don't think I have the direct messaging permissions anymore. Is there a way for you to contact me?
  6. T

Festool, Bridge City Tools, etc Estate Auction in Statesville

Does anyone have experience with these types of auctions? The location is pretty close to me and there are some tools I could use in the list. There is a line that says "13% buyers premium." Does that mean you oay a 13% markup over the final bid?
  7. T

New User From Charlotte

Thanks. I guess I didn't have the "stay logged in" checked before. For what it's worth, after a few posts, I was able to successfully start a thread on the For Sale forum.
  8. T

Sealer Epoxy for River Table

Great. That's more or less what I was thinking of doing. I have some dimensional stock I use for cauls that should do the trick.
  9. T

Sanding an Epoxy River

Given the amount of sanding involved, I'm wondering if this would be a good time to upgrade from the Dewalt ROS that I've been using for years. Any thoughts on which Festool sander would work best for finishing work? I have a bunch of 5" ROS discs from Klingspor, so ideally I would be able to...
  10. T

Sanding an Epoxy River

Thanks. The river in this case will, on average, be about 8 inches wide, so I have plenty of room to get the ROS. What grit sequence do you use on the epoxy beyond 320? I got some epoxy sanding pads (forget the name) at Klingspors, but I'm not sure if I can go straight from 320 to the pads or...
  11. T

Sanding an Epoxy River

As I mentioned in another thread, I am starting my first epoxy river table build. I was wondering if folks could provide some guidance on the sanding process for these builds. In the Blacktail studio videos (e.g., https://www.blacktailstudio.com/blog/how-to-get-a-perfect-finish-in-a-dusty-shop)...
  12. T

Thanks for all the feedback. The pour will be a little under 17 liters. Based on the Blacktail studio videos, I was going to use the fast-dry painters caulk...
  13. T

Free Dust Right Bag (GONE)

I was cleaning out my shop and found this DustRight bag. It worked well on the Dewalt lunchbox planer when I didn't have a DC. Now it is just collecting dust on the floor, though not as designed. Free to a good home. I'm in Davidson, a little north of Charlotte.
  14. T

Good to know. I was getting a little confused as the approach in Blacktail seems to change over time. Does caulk work for ensuring that the epoxy does not leak under the slab? In one of the Blacktail videos I watched, he mentioned just letting the epoxy flow under the table. This would create a...
  15. T

As I understand it, aside from the cost, the only downside to sealing with epoxy is that this slightly compromises the seal between the slabs and the epoxy river. Is that right?
  16. T

So when you did the seal coat, did you just coat the live edge, or the whole board? I've watched a lot of the blacktail studio videos linked above, and in at least one video I watched, he coats the live edge with epoxy, then hits the rest of the board with de-waxed shellac.
  17. T

My brother asked me to make him a river table for his new office. I have the slab ripped and dimensioned, so now it's time to start working with the epoxy. I have never worked with deep epoxy pours before, but based on what I have read and watched, most people seal the live edges that face the...
  18. T

New User From Charlotte

I was going through the shop and found a dust collection bag that I used before I had a real DC. I wanted to post this for free on the For Sale forum, but it looks like I am still classified as a new user. While I "lurk" a lot on here, I am generally not logged in. Do you lose user status if you...
  19. T

New User From Charlotte

I have been primarily going to BE Klutz in Concord. Good people, and they have a fantastic selection of hardwoods.
  20. T

New User From Charlotte

Have you bought anything from the reclaimed lumber sources lately? If so, were the prices very high?

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors