Search results

1. tdotrob

new turning

Hey Earl, that is some amazing work! I subscribed to your channel and will be watching the build videos. Thanks for sharing and going the extra mile on the video production.
  2. tdotrob

FOG wood ID?

I wasn't, exactly. When I've turned green wood before, the outside is often out of round before I'm halfway to hollowing the inside. This bowl stayed true through the hollowing and when I went to finish it the next day it had barely moved. I'm not counting on it being dry, or even not to develop...
  3. tdotrob

Chainsaw sculptors?

Thanks, guys!
  4. tdotrob

FOG wood ID?

Consensus says white oak and even some extra diagnostic criteria. Thanks for the replies! I used a faceplate to start and when one of the screws hit a void I started thinking "rustic bowl". In the end I didn't fill the holes in or try to cut them away and it came out looking quite good. I...
  5. tdotrob

FOG wood ID?

Eek! I'd better go clean and wax my lathe bed! That makes sense based on how hard this wood was after only a month of seasoning in the garage. Although I didn't guess oak because the pores were not noticeably large. This thing sanded down to 2000 grit and feels like glass after a bit of Danish...
  6. tdotrob

Chainsaw sculptors?

One of my neighbors texted me today to ask if I know anyone who sculpts with a chainsaw. He's got a fantastic landscaped fern grotto and I'm guessing he wants to commission a piece. Is there's a club or group for that I can refer him to? Thanks -- T.Rob
  7. tdotrob

FOG wood ID?

Well, I'm far enough along my woodturning journey to pick up a nice log from the side of the road when I find one but still not knowledgeable to identify it. I guess that's progress, though. Any idea what this is? I've already turned it so here's a shot with a better view of the grain...
  8. tdotrob

So I've got this unused outrigger...

That's awesome! And easier than grafting on a 3rd arm, which would be the other alternative.
  9. tdotrob

So I've got this unused outrigger...

When I bought my lathe, one of the features I liked is the ability to swivel the headstock to turn larger pieces. There's an optional outrigger that allows up to 29" of swing. I was sure I'd learn the basics of turning and be turning giant decorative pieces within a few weeks. Of course, a year...
  10. tdotrob

Blueberry meringue bowl

Aint that the truth! In this case, mostly accident and happy - enough - in the end. When I went back top the bowl today I had relegated it to "practice bowl" status and figured I'd try out my new beading tool. Despite all of the issues with the resin I was very happy with the beads, and I...
  11. tdotrob

Blueberry meringue bowl

Definitely NOT a stroke of genius. I was hoping the foam would be at the top with solid resin below - like a glass of beer. But it was foamy throughout the resin, including inside of the cracks I was trying to fill. When I cut down to the bare wood, the the resin in the cracks had small- to...
  12. tdotrob

Blueberry meringue bowl

Unfortunately, those voids all started life as closed-cell bubbles and relatively few of them will have combined into large voids. The result is something that is deceptively non-porus so I could fill the voids at the surface but no way to get to the ones that are not exposed. Definitely going...
  13. tdotrob

First legitimate segmented turning!

Very well done! I took a stab at making some rings for a bowl but didn't get the miter cuts right. Yours seems to have very tight seams so you obviously solved that problem. Looking forward to the finished pix.
  14. tdotrob

Blueberry meringue bowl

So I was pouring resin for a hybrid bowl and got one of those "stroke of genius" ideas - what if I briefly put the bowl under vacuum before putting it in the pressure pot? It works for stabilizing resin so why not casting resin? Well, the answer in part is that the casting resin I used has a 12...
  15. tdotrob

Vacuum pump A/B manifold - good or bad idea?

Thanks! I'll give it a shot. Each chamber comes with it's own valve and hose. The problem I'm solving is that the pump accepts only one hose at a time. So, yes, attaching an A/B manifold to the pump pretty much boils down to putting a valve on each line, it's just that they are combined into a...
  16. tdotrob

That's the main thing warned about in the manuals, videos, etc. "Never expose the pump to vacuum when it isn't running." With two chambers there's more opportunity to muck it up while one of them is under vacuum and the operator is focusing on the one that isn't. So why am I worried this about...
  17. tdotrob

I am currently running two vacuum chambers in parallel. One is stabilizing some burl and the other is drying half a log. Every time I switch from pulling vacuum on one chamber to the other, I swap hoses at the pump. So I thought, why not buy or make an A/B manifold? It would be a 1/4 female...
  18. tdotrob

YAWI - Yet Another Wood ID

Thanks guys! No guess as to leaves though. This came to me as-is and no other branches or logs to look at. But good to know what I'm dealing with. Now I'm going to wish I had a coring rig. ;-)
  19. tdotrob

YAWI - Yet Another Wood ID

Anyone know what this is? I plan to split it and make some bowls either way but it'd be nice to know what it is I'm working with.
  20. tdotrob

Good save or too weird?

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I'm going to take the advice and keep it. Well, the fingers grip at the knurled tip and the part that rests on my hand is above the concave section so it feels like a regular shaped pencil. At least for my hand size. Maybe the concave section would bug...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS