Search results

1. E

Because I can’t throw a piece of wood away

Anyone who has seen my garage knows I can't toss anything bigger than sawdust... and that generally gets turned into mulch or compost.
  2. E

3M Sander 2.5 mm

I have found that the worrying and fretting I do in the deliberation phase leading up to a purchase often disappears once the new tool is in hand, and I wonder why I didn't do it earlier instead of whinging about it. A nice sander does make a lot of difference.
  3. E

He has a long wait ahead

Looks like a different take on modern inset Carbide cutterheads. So probably the same way after you soak the whole thing in a bathtub if vaporust.
  4. E

I got a new sander

I've never had any issues with extended sanding sessions. It has a side mounted handle or can be gripped around the head. Now if you run it on turbo at full blast and don't secure your workpieces, it can sling them right across your bench! But you're probably not turbo moding constantly.
  5. E

Electrical formula question

A small inverter generator is the proper and no drama way to do this. Those "solar generators" and giant battery packs, while they continuously get better and better and cheaper, are still very deficient for a use like you have in mind compared to even an inexpensive inverter. Predator from...
  6. E

I got a new sander

I have the 65, the 5 inch version of the same. It is a good sander for sure. Paired with my festool midi and cubitron or similar mesh sandpaper, I have no issues with dust collection.
  7. E

Speaking of SawStop

I have the 52. I find it handy. It's not an unstable platform but you won't be chiseling or planing on it. That said a place to stack pieces is very handy. I could live without it, but I go personally find it useful. I've used the extended length only a handful of times for sawing... but I've...
  8. E

If I Make My Bed, Do I Have To Lay In It

Very nice. I'm of a mind to make a bed frame and also build some storage into the bottom of it. I feel like that may look like something a kid would use, but I like tall beds, and big sliding drawers under the bed could be a very clean look and hold winter clothes well...
  9. E

Speaking of SawStop

You will not regret the sawstop. You will regret not getting 3 HP.
  10. E

Bobs CNC Router

I have not used that brand but they seem generally maligned. Building a cnc machine out of plywood just seems like a very poor idea. Why not tell people where you live and see if anyone has a CNC near you? The machine itself is just one part of the equation as well. You will need software...
  11. E

3D Printed Table Saw Dust Collection

Fusion 360 may be daunting at first glance, but it's free, and the bare basics- which are probably all you will need to do jig making and small parts duplication and repair- is quite simple, just hidden behind a small initial learning curve that seems a whole lot worse than it is. "Tinkercad"...
  12. E

3D Printed Table Saw Dust Collection

A 3d printer is an invaluable tool for the garage or wood shop and even the cheap ones nowadays are pretty darn good. I've had prusas, ratrigs, built a voron 0, but I picked up an open box ender 3 v3 ke last year for barely $120 and it's fantastic. I don't think it has ever failed a print and it...
  13. E

Double Sided Woodworking Tape

I have used the xfasten. When I use double sided tape it's almost always for cnc hold down purposes, which is fairly intensive. I did not have good results from the xfasten, and parts could be knocked off from basic milling operations at low rates very easily. I used the blue tape and superglue...
  14. E

Shopify

They're essentially just a service that allows you to easily build a storefront from what I know. The rates for their basic tier seem reasonable. That said if you don't have a ton of stock on hand or mainly do custom pieces, maybe an etsy shop or just advertising on Facebook or Craigslist would...
  15. E

Glu-Bot

I've gotten a couple for free, normally from taytools. I just use them when I buy a gallon of glue. I don't think I'd spend the money otherwise. I should try one of those bottles with the roller built it though.
  16. E

What CNC’s do you all have, and what software are you using for CAD/CAM?

Vectric / vcarve pro is the way to go IMO but having proficiency in fusion is also very helpful and it isn't nearly as daunting as it first appears.
  17. E

New CNC project

I've been tempted to get a rotary but I have no real use for one and using it on my cnc would be sort of hacky to make it work as I don't have an extra stepper driver, and I'd have to disconnect one of my y steppers. Maybe if I upgrade some day.
  18. E

Question about Brazilian Ebony

Wow, that is cool. I'm going to have to buy some of that wood.
  19. E

CNC Router Forum

Vcarve or Vcarve Pro is probably the way to go for most people. It is simply excellent software. The only difference between the two is the max job size. I think vcarve is 24x24. Pro removes the size restriction. Aspire is vcarve pro with added 3d modeling features, but I've seen the aspire...
  20. E

Resin Tear Out on a Helical Style Planer

My reference was Carbide insert router bits and spiral router bits, not planer heads. I should have been clearer. The only times I used a planer on epoxy projects I was hogging out a LOT of material and the finish wasn't in question so I'm afraid I'm not sure if your experience was unusual or...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors