Search results

1. B

Cutting Acrylic

Sorry- my experience is with a bandsaw-which does work well. Not sure about table saw speeds.
  2. B

Do not confuse setup blocks with gauge blocks

They are great for setting "desired" standard gaps on tools. For instance, if you need a half inch wide strip on the table saw, you can place a 1/2" block between the blade and fence to set the distance rather than resorting to a tape measure/ square etc. b
  3. B

Schaaf Carving Tools review

Mine are good for a starter set. One of them did come with the shaft a little off angle mounted into the wood handle..but other than that they've been fine.
  4. B

The Young'un Stopped By Today....

Sometimes its hard to put a positive spin on the kids behaviors :) Thats why I try to maintain a 12 bottle stock of wine at all times. b
  5. B

Easy In-situ Light Pipes

Modern LEDs do not use any epoxy in their optical path. They are encapsulated with Silicones because epoxy has long term discoloration issues in conjunction with heat and blue light. I'm not sure I would put epoxy or EVA (hot glue) in that light path unless I felt that the actual light load/on...
  6. B

Installing Delicate Hardware

Pin Vise Drill - cheap, easy and can make some really small holes. b
  7. B

Anyone had this issue before?

Hard to go backwards on some of those steps but if you do again with the same wood, you might want to experiment with a sidewall brushcoat/cure of the clear epoxy before pouring the tinted. That may inhibit the penetration/discoloration of the tinted epoxy. b
  8. B

When last did you use your hand plane?

Just last weekend ... normally i would go to jointer/planer for most flattening operations but this shelf had some one-off small stock which I couldnt hold well across the jointer. Vise and hand plane did the trick though-with very little concern for my fingers :) b
  9. B

Where to go in Raleigh

I like wandering around Capitol Lumber...thats in Raleigh.
  10. B

2023 September Contest: Scroll/Intarsia Creations - Time to Vote

Someone called my Sunrise "Intarsia"...is it? If so-its my entry :)
  11. B

Cutting wood and gluing it together

leaf spring for a wooden car
  12. B

Mystery Jig

It would never occur to me to push wood perpendicular to the blade direction. Pretty cool ! b
  13. B

Ripping slats on a table saw

Typically I use #1 but TBH it doesnt feel very safe. I've employed a Gripper, push sticks, featherboards, fence mounted guides...but just moving wood thru that little gap between blade and fence always feels a little uncontrolled to me. b
  14. B

Polyurethane Puzzle

Woops Yea General Finishes ! Sorry
  15. B

Polyurethane Puzzle

Luckily-the OEM got back to me and offered to "refinish" it. They were nice enough to tell me which water based poly they used (General Mills Satin-btw that stuffs expensive!) and suggested light sanding followed by re-application (spray)...I don't have a spray setup but i'm sure i can manage...
  16. B

Polyurethane Puzzle

That would be fine..how do I remove the poly without damaging the underlying hand paint? thank you
  17. B

Polyurethane Puzzle

I've had a hand painted lazy susan for 15 years. Well-the wife tried to clean it with some of those alcohol wipes and it has left the top surface gummy. The manufacturer says they use Low VOC Polyurethane to finish-I assume this means water based Poly. Question is : how to fix the gumminess...
  18. B

Fixing extreme wear in hardwood floor

Get one of those hard plastic mats for him to roll around on while you figure it out :) If the layer is reasonable level with the surrounding, I think I would try some light sanding/removal of anything completely loose and then filling with a hard epoxy. b
  19. B

Cremation Ash Box

The half lapped miter joints were created with a router bit set from Infinity. https://www.infinitytools.com/lapped-miter-joint-router-bits The maple was troublesome-i did a reasonable sanding job, including water wipe to raise grain, then a final sand and mineral spirits wipe. Even still the...
  20. B

Cremation Ash Box

This one was requested by a family member. A fairly religious family member :) Interior is around 200cu inches. Cover/base are hard maple with light pecan stain to warm it. Sides are goncalo alves using half lapped miter joints. Scottish/Celtic cross also goncalo alves. Walnut inlays are...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS