Search results

1. D

Hinges for boxes

As I and my daughter now have all the furniture we need, I plan to start making keepsake boxes for grandkids. I have yet to make my first one but have read up on the subject. I expect the boxes will be made from 7/16, 1/2 or maybe 5/8 thick sides. So my questions are: 1. Which companies are...
  2. D

Trip planned to Asheville/Weaverville area

Next month I will be accompanying my wife to Weaverville for 3 or 4 days. I will have plenty of time on my hands during the day. Would welcome any suggestions on woodworking stores/places to visit. I saw Mike's post about Scrounger's Paradise and I know there is a Klingspors in Asheville...
  3. D

Need help with electricity requirements please

I have been doing workworking in my garage since Covid started. Not knowing how I would enjoy the hobby I initially bought smaller machines that run on 110V including the Sawstop Jobsite, a small 10 inch Rikon bandsaw and a benchtop Grizzly jointer. I love my Jobsite saw but I am now at the...
  4. D

Finishing a walnut table

I have finished the case work on a lowboy and now need to proceed to finishing the piece. This is the first furniture I have made from Walnut so could benefit from the collective wisdom of the viewers here. I have spent a little time on the internet exploring finishing walnut tables but that...
  5. D

Looking for new Rip blade

About 8 or 9 months ago I bought a Freud Heavy Duty Rip blade with 24 teeth. I work mostly with cherry wood and use a Sawstop Jobsite saw. I frankly have been disappointed as the cuts are rather rough and the cherry gets burned very easily. I read an article in this month's Fine Woodworking...
  6. D

I covet some premium chisels

As my skills grow and I am doing more handtool work, I have come to the conclusion that I need to buy a nice set of chisels. My old Buck Brothers which I have had for 30 years just can't keep an edge and I was disappointed with the Shaaf chisels that were promoted on here 4 or 5 months ago. I...
  7. D

Bunkbeds

Grandchild number 5 is on the way, so it is time for me to build one twin bunkbed. My wife will want it to be nice looking and not have a theme like a F1 car, John Deere tractor etc. Does anyone have any plans they can share or can refer me to a website where they have seen something? I have...
  8. D

Best way to hang a shelf under a table

I am an advanced beginner or early intermediate woodworker who has built onesmallish shaker style table. My wife would like me to now build a serving table for our dining room with a shelf. The table will be made from cherry and in shaker style. The tabletop will be 48 inches, and after...
  9. D

Help identify this wood in our dining room table

My wife is wanting me to build something that matches our dining room table. I have a lot to learn about identifying wood so am asking for help to ensure success. My wife acquired our dining table 40 years ago from her grandmother. I believe the table was made about 100 years ago. Family...
  10. D

Where is the best place to buy cherry in NC?

Have a project in mind and need to buy either 10/4 or 8/4 for the table legs and then 5/4 for the top and sides. I recall someone in the Hickory area that had a barn full of cherry would but have not been able to find the poster through the search function. I have noticed lots of forum members...
  11. D

Best finish for Ambrosia Maple

Building large built in display shelves for my grandson. The top of the cabinet will be a panel of ambrosia maple. It will be in a bonus room above the garage and have little exposure to sunlight, so should not yellow much over time. I have never worked with this wood before and welcome some...
  12. D

Calling all Wilmingtonians

There have been quite a few posts about the desire to start a luncheon meeting here in Wilmington. I would be happy to take a stab at planning a luncheon for November. I am thinking maybe Wrightsville Beach Brewery, Moe's BBQ or Mellow Mushroom, all of which are on Oleander and have both...
  13. D

Dovetail jigs for router table

Does anyone have experience to share with the Leigh RTJ400 Router Table Dovetail Jig? I am starting to learn more about joinery but do not have much experience other than butt and lap joints. I have made a tenoning jig for the table saw, and have also made two box joint jigs - one for my...
  14. D

New member in Wilmington

Hi there. Now that I am somewhat retired at 66, I am investing time in increasing my woodworking skills. Have done my part keeping Rockler, Woodpeckers, Kreg, Highland and Woodcraft all in business during the pandemic. Feel bad that I only heard about Tools Plus here in Wilmington recently...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors