Search results

1. D

Router table coping sled advice please

I second using the Jessem roller guides. They are an excellent product. I don't use my Kreg fingerboards hardly at all anymore. Prefer the Jessem.
  2. D

Router table coping sled advice please

I had the Rockler coping sled and then bought the Woodpeckers. On both sleds there are clear plexiglass pieces that ride along the fence to keep the sled the same fixed distance from the router bit. On the Rockler sled the plexiglass piece has just one hole so that the distance to the fence is...
  3. D

Mortise chisel vs. Mortise machine vs. Mortise adpter for drill press

Wiley, thanks for the tip but I simply dont agree. First of all, there is not a huge gap at end of mortise, it is simply rounded vs squared. Secondly, if building a table the tenons are a good 4 to 5inches wide and offer plenty of gluing surface. This more than compensates for the tiny gap...
  4. D

Woodpecker Coping Sled

No but I have a new Rocker that I would sell for $60 plus shipping
  5. D

Mortise chisel vs. Mortise machine vs. Mortise adpter for drill press

I use a jig, a plunge router and an outrigger on each side. I do not square off the ends as it is not really necessary and strikes me as OCD
  6. D

Weeklong class

Here are the website links to the schools in adjacent states https://www.bennettsfinewoodworking.com/ https://wwotsv.com/ If you were to combine school with vacation, this woodworking school is excellent and in a beautiful part of our country. Their beginning class focuses on handtools and...
  7. D

Weeklong class

If you do not have a jointer or planer then the Jason Bennett school is best. He buys and dimensions all the wood used which saves an enormous amount of time. For the Shenandoah school you bring the dimensioned parts which took me a long time to procure, glue and surface. The Shenandoah school...
  8. D

Weeklong class

Two schools I would recommend within a 6 hour drive are: 1. Jason Bennett's Fine Furniture in eastern Tennessee. Jason is a super good guy, great teacher and patient. 2. Woodworking school of Shenandoah valley
  9. D

Walnut 4/4 - sold

Is this air dried or kiln dried? How long been sitting indoors? Can you please provide any history on the wood
  10. D

Speaking of SawStop

I would get the 3 HP version. There are times when more umpff is needed.
  11. D

What type of Shoes to you wear in your Workshop?

Orthofeet work shoes with steel toes. Somewhat heavy but excellent support.
  12. D

Hinges for boxes

Bob, is the width of those hinges equal to the width of the sides, or is there still some narrow sliver of wood in front of the hinge? I cannot tell when I blow up your picture. Did you do the mortises with a chisel or router, and did you just make a jig out of MDF?
  13. D

Hinges for boxes

Thanks, I have in fact bought and read 2 of his books. They are excellent. My concern is the best sources for small, narrow hinges. I looked at Horton's but they were all too big. If the box sides are 1/2 inch thick then I assume the hinges can only be about 5/16 wide
  14. D

Hinges for boxes

As I and my daughter now have all the furniture we need, I plan to start making keepsake boxes for grandkids. I have yet to make my first one but have read up on the subject. I expect the boxes will be made from 7/16, 1/2 or maybe 5/8 thick sides. So my questions are: 1. Which companies are...
  15. D

Glu-Bot

I agree they are unnecessary and provide little benefit
  16. D

Furniture molding

I usually use small gauge pin nails on molding in addition to glue. No screws
  17. D

Lumber dealer map

Anchor hardwoods in Wilmington usually has some nice Baltic birch in stock or can get it for you quickly. They are nice, helpful folks there.
  18. D

WFU Grad living in W-S

Go Deacs! I too am bringing a 9 year old grandson into the craft. His first project was a bluebird house
  19. D

Used Cabinet Saws

The bottom will fall out of the resale values I would expect.
  20. D

Dewalt Plunge Router DW616 complaints

I actually had the same problem on the Porter Cable 670. Never would keep the depth and I could not tighten the knob enough. So I bought a Dewalt plunge router instead. It is much better, however the depth is inconsistent. If I cut 6 or 8 mortise, the depths are different for each one. Close but...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors