Search results

1. Dylan Buffum

Come use my Atlas metal lathe, Efland NC

Atlas did make lathes for Sears under the Craftsman brand, but this machine (probably) predates that. It is beautiful. My father-in-law knows how to restore. He did a WWII Jeep, a 1960’s sports car, and this was a quick little project for him. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  2. Dylan Buffum

Come use my Atlas metal lathe, Efland NC

My father-in-law recently bought and refurbished a 6” Atlas metal lathe. He promptly deposited it in my woodshop, along with several chucks, blades, and other attachments and tools. I have no idea how to use this thing. If you (a) know how to use it, and (b) have a project to do, shoot me a...
  3. Dylan Buffum

The Hillsborough Efland Mebane Chapel Hill Durham and nearby get-to-know-you thread

Mike, did you get the email adding you to the listserv? It looks like I might have your address wrong. Hillsborough is my preferred destination. Durham is fine. Prefer not to go west of Mebane. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  4. Dylan Buffum

The Hillsborough Efland Mebane Chapel Hill Durham and nearby get-to-know-you thread

I changed the post above so you can email me directly for addition to the list. I also added you to the group, Mike. You might want to delete your email address from the public post. Edit: looks like you did. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  5. Dylan Buffum

I think if folks are interested, it would be a good idea to great a google group/ email listserv. It would allow for more subject specific conversations. I’m happy to do so, but everyone would need to PM an email address to me. Edit: I created a listserv. If you’re interested, PM me your...
  6. Dylan Buffum

Hey locals, Two things: (1) I recently inherited an Atlas Metal Lathe, lovingly restored and in great shape. I have no idea how to use it, but I want to put it out there that anyone who does know how to use it can come over and make use of it, and teach me about it while you’re at it. Send me...
  7. Dylan Buffum

Idea for an improved workbench.

Oh, I do a lot of work with hand tools. One of the major frustrations with my current bench is the absence of bench dogs and no clamping edge.
  8. Dylan Buffum

Typo. 4.25". I'll correct it. Hi Roy, nice to "meet" you. So you're down near Jordan Lake? Been there a long time?
  9. Dylan Buffum

Hobbyist in Efland, NC

Thanks for the friendly welcome! Yes, it's a Steelmaster Quonset hut. It's on a concrete slab about 30' x 50', and it's 25' tall in the middle. The prior owner used it to store his stuff for 30-years, mostly in big moldy soggy piles on the floor. He left it all for me when he sold the house...
  10. Dylan Buffum

Hi folks, I thought it would be nice to have a thread where folks who are close can connect. I'm hoping if we get to know one another, we can occasionally help each other out. Need a few more pipe clamps for your massive glue-up this weekend? Need a pair of hands to unload your new table saw or...
  11. Dylan Buffum

Idea for an improved workbench.

Hi everyone, I'm looking for input on my idea for a new workbench for my shop. I've posted some sketches below. I'm on a tight budget, so I try to use and re-use whatever I have on hand. My current workbench is a 62" x 62" welded metal frame, currently topped with layers of scraps of plywood...
  12. Dylan Buffum

Hobbyist in Efland, NC

Hi folks, A couple of years ago I bought a house in rural Efland which has a large shop space in an out-building. I've spent the past few years setting up shop, and getting back into fine woodworking as a hobby. I'm not equipped like a professional, but I'm up and running and having a lot of...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors