Search results

1. W

Preferred finish for patio furniture

I'm going to build a few benches and tables for our deck. It'll be my first attempt at pieces that will need to withstand the full brunt of the elements. I'd be grateful for any tips on durable outdoor finishes, number of coats, and any other wisdom on the subject. Many thanks.
  2. W

hinge mortise jig recommendation?

I need to buy one of these, and was wondering if there's a particular model folks like. Thanks so much.
  3. W

Small quantities of, or substitutes for, Bona Traffic finish?

So, I've got to sand out and finish few dings and gouges in our maple floors. The original finish was Bona Traffic, a water based poly (I think) that seems to retail exclusively in gallon jugs (plus a bottle of hardener). I'd rather not buy the whole pricey kit, only to use about a cup of the...
  4. W

Fair price for walnut logs?

An arborist friend is taking down some walnut trees for a client who's willing to part with the logs (six or so of them, averaging 9' long, 20" diameter). I have no idea what a fair ballpark offer would be. I'd welcome any suggestions. Thanks!
  5. W

Anybody ever tried hemp oil as a finish?

My wife's taking a refinishing commission from clients who are keen on a super-matte, penetrating finish, and they suggested hemp oil. This will be going over burned mahogany. Would appreciate hearing from anyone who's used the stuff. Thanks.
  6. W

Cleaning up glue squeeze out

Hi All, So I just slapped a coat of finish on a maple tabletop, disclosing a horror show of ghost glue drabs. Sanded it down, tested the lines with denatured alcohol. Refinished. All's well. But it got me thinking: I probably need to refine my process on cleaning up squeeze-out. Obviously...
  7. W

Anyone want a free, nonfunctioning SCMS before I take it to the landfill?

Perhaps you've got the knowhow to bring this thing back to life (it's not the brushes; I tried that). Or it's a parts-saw. Or a heavy-duty paperweight. Or a canoe anchor. Dream large! Anyway, if you want it, I'm between Durham and Chapel Hill.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS