Search results

1. pslamp32

Lookin' for PE help, Charlotte to Ashe-vegas!

Looking to get a bandsaw to Asheville from Charlotte. Willing to pay for gas or whatever fee necessary. Thanks! Peter
  2. pslamp32

Drum sanders...

Well since I've started doing some veneer work I've decided I must have a new bandsaw and drum sander. Finding a used bandsaw will probably happen soon, I hope, but I'm less familiar with drum sanders. Just wondering what a fair used price on a sander in good shape would be. Also, what...
  3. pslamp32

Router accessories...

So I have at least 4 routers which I almost never use. I find them a bit cumbersome to adjust and change bits. Even more annoying to me is the lack of adequate dust collection. I have 3 of the Hitachi M12 routers and a Bosch Colt. More often than not I reach for the Colt because it's so easy...
  4. pslamp32

Waterbourne 'Lacquer'....

So I've been using the same basic finishing schedule for awhile now and have been very happy. I start with a dilute shellac spray to seal, followed by several more spray coats of 2# shellac. After this I spray several coats of waterbourne lacquer by Target. (USL previously, now emtech I...
  5. pslamp32

I love veneer!!!

So, I've had a few stumbles since buying a press and sliding down the veneer slope but I really love the creativity this discipline allows me! Thanks all for help with my many questions! :gar-Bi Thought I'd post a few pics of what I've been up to in the last few weeks... View image in gallery...
  6. pslamp32

More vacuum press info needed!

So I pressed my first tabletop tonight. Everything went well for the most part. My main question is in regards to glue squeeze out. My set-up is melamine bottom platen, veneered tabletop then breather mesh. After pressing for about an hour I pulled the panel and all looks pretty good except...
  7. pslamp32

Some more veneer questions...

Just a couple of general questions for you gurus. What is your favorite substrate and substrate source? When doing tabletops etc. at 1.5" or more do you just glue up several 75" boards? What works better for this MDF or ply? Do you generally use some hardwood for edge work or glue some of...
  8. pslamp32

Veneer?

Any veneer gurus on here that can recommend a good site for veneer? I know about Joe Woodworker, just wanted to comparison shop a bit. Looking primarily for larger 'exotic' sheets for use with tabletops etc. Warning...answering this query will most likely subject you to a barrage of veneering...
  9. pslamp32

Steel pipes to PEX...

I've got access to enough free PEX to redo my water lines. Right now my pipes are a mix of mostly metal (iron, galvanized?) with a bit of copper. I'd like to start the PEX at the metal inlet in the basement. What's the best way to couple the PEX to the metal inlet? I didn't see anything at the...
  10. pslamp32

Any veneering gurus @ NCWW?

This is an art that has been intriguing to me for some time. I'm ready to pull the trigger on some purchases and was looking for some advice. Obviously I need to replace my old Craftsman 12" BS with a better resaw machine. That may have to wait but in the meanwhile I'll probably buy veneer...
  11. pslamp32

Parallel Clamp special, 4+ for $90! Peachtree...

Just got this e-direct special from Peachtree Woodworking. Looks like an awesome deal and I picked up a set myself. Thought you guys might be interested... 4 - 39" parallel clamps plus face framing blocks for $90... http://www.ptreeusa.com/edirect_032610.htm
  12. pslamp32

Glue question ...

I've started using pre-finished ply for some case work but have encountered one issue. What kind of glue will adhere to pre-finished boards at butt joints? The joints are pretty solid as is because of the Dominoes but looking for a bit more strength. Thanks!
  13. pslamp32

PE request from Winston-Salem to Asheville...

I'd love to buy Jay Brewer's Festool plunge saw and MFT. Wonderin' if anyone is headid' this way from his way? Happy to pitch in some gas money or perhaps Zambra gift certificates for your trouble. Thanks!
  14. pslamp32

Silly Shop Vac Question...

So I was running through Home Depot for 'Black Friday' today and decided $20 for a Ridgid shop-vac was too good to pass up even though I already have 3 in the shop. Started looking for the bags for the unit and couldn't find the correct one. Decided to ask someone where they were and he said I...
  15. pslamp32

New finished piece...

View image in gallery View image in gallery Well, after 3 years living in our house, the time has come to start working on the bathroom remodel. I've been putting this part of the house off since it seems so daunting. First step was the fun part because it involved some WWing! I knew I...
  16. pslamp32

Dust collection bugaboo...

I have my central DC connected to my TS, jointer and planer with the 4" quick connectors. My problem is that they keep coming detached during use, sometimes without me noticing til too late and a big mess ensues. I don't want to use clamps because occasionally I will need to roll my stuff around...
  17. pslamp32

DC Question...

I finally bit the bullet and started building an actual dust collection system. I got a Shop Fox 2 HP single stage and ordered a Wynn filter cartridge for it that is supposed to filter ~99.9% of the dust. (BTW, Dick Wynn is an absolute pleasure to deal with if you haven't) I've got the DC...
  18. pslamp32

While I've been away...

Hello all! I haven't posted in awhile but I've been here lurking! Just recently had a new baby so I've been busy. Just thought I'd post a few pixs of some recent projects I've done since I've been 'gone'. I got tired of my office furniture so I decided to build a new set of things. I built the...
  19. pslamp32

Kids playdeck...help!

So I thought I'd build my son a little playdeck / swing / slide. I built the deck about 4.5' off the ground and the deck is about 8'X8'. I used 4 posts which are 4X4s and the deck 'framing' (not sure if this is the proper wording) is made from 2X6s. I added 3 - 2X6 joists and the framing is...
  20. pslamp32

Impact drivers...

I'm a little confused. I just ordered a new 18V Lithium Ion Impact driver and was wondering if it can be useful as a drill as well. I know my other Bosch driver is not suitable for any real drilling due to the lack of RPMs. The Makita impact driver says it has a no load RPM of 0-2300. Do I now...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors