Search results

1. Bill J

What is this worth?

I am helping the Bull City Woodshop (The Bull City Woodshop | Durham) with selling some of their surplus tools. I just came across this hand held Porter Cable spindle sander. It is a model 121 and looks almost new. A quick Google search shows none for sale anywhere and it looks like they...
  2. Bill J

Router Jig Locator

This is probably one of those things where everyone has been doing this and I just thought of it, but... I use a lot of router jigs because I am not very good at freehand work. Clamping them to the bench can be a pain so I have started adding a couple of 3/4 dowels to the bottom that line up...
  3. Bill J

Drum Sander

I'm thinking of buying a drum sander during the black Friday sales. The Jet 16-32 is on sale as are a few other brands. Any feedback specifically on the Jet or recommendations for other brands? The Grizzly is a great price too.
  4. Bill J

Mineral Oil

I hope this doesn't morph into another discussion on how to finish cutting boards, but I have a very simple question: Where is the best place to buy mineral oil by the gallon? I bought a gallon on-line and the resulting mess in the truck did not endear me to my UPS driver!
  5. Bill J

Free to a good home - Gone

I Have had this little bandsaw in my garage for several years and haven't used it since I got my Harvey. Now I need the space. It worked the last time I tried it.
  6. Bill J

Finally finished the coffee table

I've been working on this for some time and finally finished! It replaces the first table I ever made almost 40 years ago! Wenge top and shelf resawed from an 8/4 piece to book match the grain and the frame is 8/4 sapele. I have worked almost exclusively in straight lines and decided to try...
  7. Bill J

Teak and Sandalwood

I just returned from a trip to India where we visited Thekkady (which literally means under the teak tree) and were able to hike through a teak and sandalwood forest in the Periyar Tiger Preserve. While we didn't see any tigers, it was fascinating to see how they are maintaining the forest to...
  8. Bill J

Saw blade vibration

I have a Forrest Woodworker II blade on my Saw Stop PS that has been absolutely great. I was changing blades put it down on my bench and you can probably see where this is going. I knocked it off onto the concrete floor. It appears ok but now I am getting vibration so I must have screwed...
  9. Bill J

Some advice on creating a replacement pew arm

I have seen several posts about renewing/resizing old church pews so I thought I'd ask for some help. My kitchen seating is an old pew that was cut to match the kitchen banquette. It was here when I bought the house and LOML and I both love the look. The problem is that when it was installed...
  10. Bill J

Pocket Knives

Does anyone make (or know someone who makes) nice, wood handle, pocket knives? I am looking for a welcome to the family present for my son-in-law who has a collection of them and would like to find something unique. I looked on Etsy and the choices are overwhelming plus I'd like to support...
  11. Bill J

Look what I got! (Harvey Bandsaw)

Following several good discussions on this forum about bandsaws, I was checking out the Harvey website and discovered that they were having a flash sale in their 14" Ambassador 3HP BS. They do this in a kind of a weird way where only 3 are on sale but they were 27% off. So I bought one! I...
  12. Bill J

Rookie Mistake- solved

I just did a dumb thing and want to see if anyone has a good fix. I snapped off a 3/32 drill bit in purple heart. there's not enough sticking out to get a grip on with any tool (I tried them all). It's too small for a screw extractor. This is the base of a table leg, the screw was going to...
  13. Bill J

Apple Country Woodcrafters

My sister lives near asheville and is thinking of joining Apple Country. She has very limited experience with woodworking so she'll need some training. I'd love to get your thoughts - is this the right group? Any better suggestions? I am sure there is considerable membership overlap with...
  14. Bill J

PurpleHeart

I have worked with purpleheart quite a bit but and have tried a number of finishing methods. The "common wisdom" has been that purpleheart will darken to a plum color when finished but using UV resistant poly can slow the change. I recently got a couple of really nice dark boards and am once...
  15. Bill J

Bar Clamps

I've been using my 20 year old pipe clamps for, well, 20 years with no problems but find that I need a few more. So I and am going to be acquiring a few new bar clamps and am would like to draw on the extensive experience in this forum. Is it worth it to get the Bessey steel clamps or are...
  16. Bill J

Hall Table

I finally finished the hall table that my wife "commissioned" as the first project for my new shop. Curly maple and sapelle with a bloodwood accent stripe. She wanted a glossy finish - I lost count of the number of number of coats of poly and sandings but the top came out glass smooth. I...
  17. Bill J

Cutting Board Reconditioning

I made a couple of cutting boards for my daughter a few years ago. I told her that if they got scratched up I could sand them down. She spent the last 4 years overseas and brought the boards "home". I've attached a before and after photos. I finally had to skim this one on the planer to get...
  18. Bill J

Local hardwood

I recently moved back to NC after spending some time in New England. When I was here before I bought most of my wood at The Hardwood Store. I was surveying local places to acquire wood and it seems that Capital City Lumber has become more competitive with their pricing. I also discovered...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS