Search results

1. Bill J

RDU lunch Friday April 19

I'm a probably yes.
  2. Bill J

Bull City Woodshop Fundraiser

The Bull City Woodshop is holding a fund raiser on May 4. For those of you who may not be familiar with BCW, they are a nonprofit, organization that is teaching woodworking to both kids and adults (The Bull City Woodshop | Durham). So please joins us and help us grow this incredible...
  3. Bill J

RDU Lunch Friday Feb 16

I'm a maybe
  4. Bill J

2024 February Contest, Illusions in Wood

Edited down to one entry! I also realized one of the pictures in my original post was over 36 months old. 1. Stack of blocks on the front of a toy box, walnut with yellow heart, bloodwood and maple cubes
  5. Bill J

What is this worth?

Thanks! I was thinking of asking $50 so this is good data
  6. Bill J

What is this worth?

I am helping the Bull City Woodshop (The Bull City Woodshop | Durham) with selling some of their surplus tools. I just came across this hand held Porter Cable spindle sander. It is a model 121 and looks almost new. A quick Google search shows none for sale anywhere and it looks like they...
  7. Bill J

Router Jig Locator

This is probably one of those things where everyone has been doing this and I just thought of it, but... I use a lot of router jigs because I am not very good at freehand work. Clamping them to the bench can be a pain so I have started adding a couple of 3/4 dowels to the bottom that line up...
  8. Bill J

Do not confuse setup blocks with gauge blocks

I also use them to calibrate the scale on my rip fence.
  9. Bill J

RDU lunch Friday Jan 19

probably...
  10. Bill J

RDU Lunch Friday Dec 15 Please RSVP

I plan to be there
  11. Bill J

Drum Sander

I'm thinking of buying a drum sander during the black Friday sales. The Jet 16-32 is on sale as are a few other brands. Any feedback specifically on the Jet or recommendations for other brands? The Grizzly is a great price too.
  12. Bill J

Mineral Oil

Thanks everyone!
  13. Bill J

Mineral Oil

I hope this doesn't morph into another discussion on how to finish cutting boards, but I have a very simple question: Where is the best place to buy mineral oil by the gallon? I bought a gallon on-line and the resulting mess in the truck did not endear me to my UPS driver!
  14. Bill J

Finishing Workshop series

Please put me on the list too!
  15. Bill J

sanding cutting boards

Similarly, I sand to 220. wash the board and then sand to 400. I have a mineral oil bath that soak the board in for 20 minutes (you can also just wipe on mineral oil with a cloth) and then a final coat of beeswax diluted in mineral oil. lots of polishing with a rag. I've never tried a scraper!
  16. Bill J

Harvey Bandsaw Prices

I have a Harvey that I bought around Thanksgiving when they ran a good "only selling 3 at this price" sale. It wasn't really Black Friday but pretty close. Their pricing is weird so set your price point and continue to watch the emails!
  17. Bill J

elliptical shape on 1x4

I sort of used this method to make an oval table and an ellipse for a hall mirror. The problem with the router jig is that you need a larger base for the cut so I cut templates from MDF and used 2 sided tape and the router to cut the shape. the picture shows one but have some that are more...
  18. Bill J

RDU Lunch Friday September 15

I should be able to make this one!
  19. Bill J

What is a good brand random sander

a related question... I had a Bosch and wore it out, then got a Porter-Cable palm sander that I have been happy with. But I have arthritis in my hands and the vibration really limits the time I can spend. I also work with a lot of smaller pieces so the palm sanded is nice for that. Do the...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS