Search results

1. johnpipe108

Photo Enlarger Stand, Pine & Birch Plywood

To fully utilize my 4 x 5 cameras, I acquired an old Federal photo enlarger; for a while, it occupied my Black & Decker Workmate 425, which was inconvenient when I needed that workbench. I finally got the chance to pick up some wood, and some more pocket hole screws. One birch ply 2' x 4'...
  2. johnpipe108

4x5 Camera project; first box joint!

I've taken up projects for strange reasons before, but this is one of the strangest! I wanted a camera for my restored wooden tripod, but I failed to win the Ebay auction for a 1902 Premo that I really wanted (I'd had a 1905 4x5 Premo when I was a teen in the 1960's). I responded by deciding...
  3. johnpipe108

Table lamp restoration; new walnut base

A very simple faceplate project. I purchased a couple table lamps at a garage sale; each needed repairs, and at $2 each the price was ok. First the restored lamp: Then the turned new base; I turned up the top disk first, then the base, and inset the top about 1/4in into the base. Bored...
  4. johnpipe108

Old camera tripod re-construction

Long ago, in the early 1980's IIRC, I purchased some old camera tripod cherry wood legs, sans head, at a San Francisco shop called "Tools of the Trade" which specialized in used, recycled tools; they still have the price marked in black marker, $7.50! These would date back before WWII, and are...
  5. johnpipe108

Simple project: Old-fashioned cigarette holder.

I like to turn small hollow objects, and once many decades ago I had made myself a cigarette holder which got lost long ago. Couple days ago, I decided to make another. Cocobolo & brass. K&S thin-wall hobby tubing from my brass collection, cut to length with a razor saw and trued and...
  6. johnpipe108

A Wooden Wakazashi

My ex's six-year old has a cheap plastic toy sword, and asked me to make him a wooden one. I took the toy, a flimsy wakazashi, traced it onto a piece of 1/4" oak from Lowes, laminated two pieces around the hilt, and sanded to a profile. Shown in the first couple photos with "tsuka-ito practice"...
  7. johnpipe108

Ma Deuce, exotic woods mix, much turnery!

I have been working off and on to get this piece completed; health-problems intervened over the past two years and slowed things down a bit, but I just got some of the last details done, and it's ready to enter in the Sonoma County (California) Fair (drop-off next weekend, fair July 25 through...
  8. johnpipe108

A Wooden "Tommy-Gun"!

I may have posted something about this a while back, but I've been ill for about the past year with medical-"treatment" side-effects, so have only just been recovering and becoming productive again. Got a large amount of work done on the tommy-gun project, 2/3 of full scale, virtually all wood...
  9. johnpipe108

Submarine wood model, a little progress ...

I've made occasional progress on my 1/24 scale wood model of a 1939 U.S. fleet submarine (central section only, thus far ... ). Here's a new chinaware rack for the galley (I recently received access to the galley on U.S.S Pampanito where I've started being a docent since 5 Thursdays ago, and...
  10. johnpipe108

M2HB and M3 tripod in exotic woods!

I have recently been given a small piece of African Wenge, and sliced it up into a few thin slabs. I got the inspiration to make up an M2HB model in exotic woods, with Wenge for the sideplates. It is a work in progress, with many fiddly little details in the completion, but I've made some...
  11. johnpipe108

A drill press stand, pine and melamine

I finally got a chance to go to the "BORG" with transport; I needed a new soldering iron, and looked over the wood and saw what I needed to make a stand for my DP, which has sat forlornly on top of (variously) my sewing machine table or my writing desk! I used an angle gauge to take the...
  12. johnpipe108

A little Scottish bagpipe turning ...

I"ve started another bagpipe project, this time the Great Highland Bagpipe (aka 'GHB'). I started with the bass drone top: Of course, I did say "little Scottish bagpipe..." : It is, in fact, a 1:6 scale (aka "play scale" same as "Barbie Scale") model! I was first thinking of 1:12...
  13. johnpipe108

Northumbrian Bagpipe update 2

I have been fortunate; McMaster-Carr carries the odd size of brass tubing at 1-3/8 inches (this size is used on the overflow drains on old claw-foot tubs; perhaps that's why it is still available), and only $15.20 (plus S&H) for a one-foot length. I stuffed and re-drilled the stock holes at a...
  14. johnpipe108

Bandsaw in the Kitchen

I have retrieved my band saw and drill press, so I have been able to get back to work on some projects. When not in use, the tools live in my spare bedroom, and for now get hauled out to my apartment kitchen when I need to use them. I forgot to take wrenches and screwdrivers to the kid's house...
  15. johnpipe108

Northumbrian bagpipe update

My original thread has been closed, so I've opened a new one. Since I've retrieved my band-saw and drill press I've been able to return to work on the bagpipe project. I mounted a piece of mammoth ivory to the chanter, though I made errors on selection when I made the bass drone and switched...
  16. johnpipe108

Northumbrian Bagpipe Project - WIP

I've returned to my English Northumbrian Small Pipes project, after putting it aside more than a year ago. First, a view of the "workshop" while working on the project: Here's the state of the project as of a few days ago: And here's the pipe-chanter after boring and partly...
  17. johnpipe108

Prep for African Blackwood for turning?

I've just purchased a 1x1x12-inch African Blackwood blank from Woodcraft, for my Northumbrian bagpipe project. I will be using a 7 inch long piece, and am wondering about preparation. Since there's no way to know what the condition is in regard to seasoning, one thing I wonder is whether I...
  18. johnpipe108

Nova chuck references/howtos/tutorials?

I have recently returned to my English Northumbrian bagpipes project, about a year and a half after making the smallest drone: Today I went out to Woodcraft and purchased a Nova Precision Midi woodturning chuck, and I've never worked with this type chuck before. As may be seen in the photo...
  19. johnpipe108

The Wheelwright's Shop - book

The Wheelwright's Shop, by George Sturt The Wheelwright's Shop is an account of an English wheelwright's shop, i.e., a wagon-building establishment, from the late 19th century to it's end in the early 20th century. Contents: 1. Origins; 2. Timber; 3. General work; 4. Wheels; 5. Tyring...
  20. johnpipe108

How do I update user location info?

When I post, my city, county and state show up with my avatar, which is the way I want it, but I can't find out where to update my location! I would have thought that would be in the user control panel, but there are not boxes that I can find to make those changes! We moved recently, and I'm...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS