Search results

1. D

How to cut Phenolic Sheets?

I need to cut a 3/4 phenolic sheet down to proper size for a router table top, but am not sure the best way to cut it. Its too big for my bandsaw so the options would be tablesaw, tracksaw or jigsaw (not preferred but an option). Do I treat this like plywood and use a high tooth count blade? Or...
  2. D

Toddler Helper Stool

So I thought about that but wasn’t sure what to do about the glue joint. Can I glue to the finished side since the dowels are still on non finished? Or do you tape it off?
  3. D

Toddler Helper Stool

Well the client caused this project to take about 4 times longer than it should have but I finally finished a toddler helper stool for my 2 year old. It's all walnut with the sides/supports being 3/4" and the platform at 1" thick. The platform is adjustable with wood tapping inserts or at least...
  4. D

Maple and Walnut Poker Chip Case

Thanks. It was probably one of the more technical projects I have completed and was very proud of the outcome. And yeah, we are just getting into poker. Mostly as a way to reconnect with friends we haven't seen in the last year. I'm alright losing a few dollars to hang out with friends again.
  5. D

Maple and Walnut Poker Chip Case

This was built as a wedding gift for a good friend. The lower section and racks are hard maple. The lower section is 3/4" and the handle is attached using a wedged through tenon. The racks are 1" thick, with 1-5/8" forstner drilled for the chips slots. Each rack is sized to hold 20 chips per...
  6. D

grizzly 0453 planer

Hah. No problem. I tend to lose manuals quickly so I've learned where to look.
  7. D

grizzly 0453 planer

This? https://cdn0.grizzly.com/manuals/g0454_m.pdf
  8. D

Finally Finished our Kitchen table

Hah, I've gotten a few "Wow, I can't believe YOU actually made this." It was definitely due to some great help from this site and some from raleigh Klingspor's. I needed some handholding and forceful encouragement in places. Its a little daunting to build something and then have to permanently...
  9. D

Finally Finished our Kitchen table

This was by far my biggest project to date. I just bought a jointer and planer last year and embarked on this project last fall. This was the first project where i have milled all my own lumber, cut a round table and used purely joinery that doesn't include screws. It was a pretty awesome...
  10. D

Powermatic 6" Jointer (raleigh CL) - $200 (GONE)

Not mine, but seems like a killer price in raleigh https://raleigh.craigslist.org/tls/d/raleigh-powermatic-model-054/7275961475.html
  11. D

Want to Borrow a 1" roundover bit

I forget how awesome this community is. I was actually looking for a 1” radius bit which are above 100$ from the ones I’ve seen. But the 1-1/2 (3/4”R?) may be large enough if I can’t find a 1”R. As for buying new tools, I am totally with you. I have spent more at Klingspors than I would like...
  12. D

Trestle Style Round Table - changing to 2018 skp file

I only have access to sketchup free, but im uploading an older version in case some have older sketchup software
  13. D

Want to Borrow a 1" roundover bit

Does anyone around Raleigh have a 1" roundover bit I could borrow for an afternoon. I am looking to cut an edge profile on a table base but don't see enough future use to spend money on it. They seem to get pretty expensive at these sizes. MLCS has one for 30$ but shipping is 2 weeks and the...
  14. D

Trestle Style Round Table 2018.0

48" round table with trestle style X base Half lap joints on the top and bottom crossbars. Base crossbar profile to be determined.
  15. D

How many dowels do I use?

Dennis, adding dowels at the end would probably be easier, but i think i wanted hidden joints just for the aesthetic on this one. Luke, That is one of the videos i watched before i bought the fancy dowel jig. Dowels seemed to be reasonably strong from the videos I have seen and it seems like a...
  16. D

Okay, so it seems like I should make sure my joints are tight, drill a few dowels (maybe 5 to be safe) and stop overthinking things. Thanks for everyone's help.
  17. D

Is there that much of an advantage of floating tenon over dowel? It doesn't seem that much different to me to have a single larger floating tenon vs multiple dowels. From what I have seen on the web, the failure rate is pretty close and both far surpass general usage, especially in this case...
  18. D

Yeah, but unfortunately I blew all of my new tool money on a jointer and planer earlier this year. If you were going to use dominos, how many would you use?
  19. D

I was under the assumption that a biscuit was only to aid in alignment and gave no added strength, but a hardwood dowel worked similar to a floating mortise and tenon and could add strength to a butt joint. Maybe this was incorrect but I saw it as similar to a festool domino if I used multiple...
  20. D

I am partially through my first major build using rough(ish) lumber and milling it all myself. My major goal is to build the entire table with no screws and so far it has gone pretty well but I have started second guessing myself now that i have to actually make the joint. Just curious to hear...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS