Search results

1. Brian Patterson

Drill Press Features

I scored a Rockwell radial arm drill press last year for $125 that is in great shape - he actually had two but I didn't expect to be able to sell it so I left it there.
  2. Brian Patterson

Squaring dilemma - Jointer

I'm using a fingerboard on my bandsaw now to keep the bottom of the stock up against the fence while I keep an eye on the upper surface. Wish there was a way to do the same on a jointer...
  3. Brian Patterson

Grizzly G0555LX 14" Deluxe Bandsaw - $300 (Durham) GONE

Had a similar experience scoring my Rockwell-Delta 12" bandsaw for a mere $100 from an experienced woodworker. Just happened to see his post on CL 30 minutes after he put it up. Sold my General 14" for $125 and added the Grizzly riser kit for 12"resawing. Won't see a deal like that again...
  4. Brian Patterson

Finish for African Mahogany

Moreso than other finishes like ArmRSeal and Waterlox?
  5. Brian Patterson

Black Walnut Slabs

I'm waiting on some similar Cherry slabs to be ready for sale this spring - will be able to get ~10-12" wide by 8 ft slabs in the $125 range.
  6. Brian Patterson

The biggest router I've ever seen.

Are you suggesting that the reduction in tool sizes is a reflection of a social condition we have to deal with? Horrors!
  7. Brian Patterson

What is your most disliked or disappointing tool?

My Central Macinery brand bandsaw may be similar to these units, and it isn’t tall enough (need the extension pillar kit) but does fairly well with a guide for re-saving. Makes plenty of noise (bearings?) and is crudely built to say the least, but am glad I have it. Truthfully, I’m the worse...
  8. Brian Patterson

The biggest router I've ever seen.

Three handles? It’s a two-man router...
  9. Brian Patterson

gluing cutting boards

+1 And gets a coat of MO/beeswax or other board treatment more than once a year will also keep things going well.
  10. Brian Patterson

Breadboard ends

I meant across the full length of the arm. Dados are very easy to make on an RAS. I do it all the time.
  11. Brian Patterson

Eastern White Pine (EWP)

I find my best lumber at a couple sawyers that have access to some big, older trees - waiting to pick up some sweet large cherry slabs later this year for about half the retail cost.
  12. Brian Patterson

Breadboard ends

An RAS is limited by its depth of cut (I have three) and the top‘s end edge needs to be clean and square using an edge guide with a router. Square that up well beforehand it would be the best way to cut the dado for your breadboards. Cut the breadboard mortise first and sneak up on the table top...
  13. Brian Patterson

Eastern White Pine (EWP)

Clear EWP is pretty rare, for sure. Picking through the racks at the big boxes is a ritual I seldom enjoy. I’ve got a ton of sawmilled 1” Yellow Pine that is very pretty, tho, and if it never becomes the flooring I bought it to be will keep me supplied with some great furniture lumber for a...
  14. Brian Patterson

Finally did some woodworking today

Is it strange or not that we determine if we are living a normal life based on when we finished our last woodworking activity? Even if it is weird, I still like it better than any other measure...and I’ve got to get on to something pretty soon cuz I’m losing it again!!
  15. Brian Patterson

Quick little project

While white is my default interior favorite for virtually all trim I own, it is an odd choice for a Craftsman home. My house has a chocolate brown exterior trim that I love As it gives a rustic look to a fairly simple rancher.
  16. Brian Patterson

Digital angle gage

I have a Wixey that looks different than Alan’s = just a magnetic base with a yellow display overlay. Works great - no battery issues. Use it true up the TS and RAS Blades whenever they get adjusted, etc. Invaluable tool...
  17. Brian Patterson

Cutting board

I mixed up a batch of 2X mineral oil and 1X beeswax (heat gently till the wax melts - transfer to a container) and love the finish it creates - super easy to make and cheap!
  18. Brian Patterson

Cutting board

I’ve heard some people can get a reaction from walnut, like any nut allergy. Just sayin’...
  19. Brian Patterson

Finally got my stuff !

You better post some pictures so we can feel as good about this as you do...we got plenty of free advice to offer you, ya know! Anyway, congrats on your progress...
  20. Brian Patterson

Remove Warp or Cup from Flute Blank

I would agree generally but my Lowe's hand plane does a very good job - got a good one? Still, a nice assortment of planes from vintage stores is a great way to use the various models for these special tasks.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS