Search results

1. BumoutBob

Insulating the garage shop--again!!

Been working hard insulating the garage shop and have completed down to the knee wall. This is 2 ft of building block tied to 4 ft of brick on the outside. Gets cold and stays cold, so I want to insulate it. I have decided to use the reflective foil set on furring strips to give me a 3/4"...
  2. BumoutBob

Another workbench top

Now that I've moved into a different house I can actually make a shop again. One of the first things I wanted to do was make a new workbench top. The old one www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/500/thumbs/AAA4.jpg was of two pieces and I wanted something bigger. The new design will be 30" X 60" and...
  3. BumoutBob

6" dial caliper

For those of you who want a digital dial caliper here is one on sale for $20. www.partsexpress.com
  4. BumoutBob

Rare old hand tools

Found these two saber saws recently. There are very different from what I have seen before. Have no idea when they were made(40s or 50s I guess). How many Sunbeam tools do you own?
  5. BumoutBob

Cleaning up water damaged maple furniture

There's one thing about used furniture, you get what you pay for. So what I got was some twin bed frames of red maple that has some black stains on the posts(appears to be water damage). Being a brave woodworker I thought I could refinish them and have something nice( and a good woodworking...
  6. BumoutBob

Old Table glue failing

My wife bought a rather nice maple dining room table that has joint problems. The glue joints are failing all over the thing. These appear to be factory joints that are just coming apart. The table has phillips screws so it wouldn't be more than 50 years old I'd say. The finish is just fine...
  7. BumoutBob

New saw fence adjuster

Check this thing out! It's a micro adjuster for a Biesmier fence. Just got mine today. Seems to work well. From the latest Rockleer catalog: http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=16755&filter=29387
  8. BumoutBob

Kitchen Island finished

The kitchen island project is finally done. It's 24" X 59" X 36". The drawers are 12.5", 18" and 12.5" ---by 3 7/8" deep inside(4.5" outside) Drawer bottoms are 1/8" melamine bd and .25" plywood. The lower shelf was purchased as a kit from Rockleer. Structure is maple and birch ply. Legs...
  9. BumoutBob

Big pine tree value

There is this big pine tree in the back of my lot and it is so big I am thinking of having it removed. I measured the circumferance this morning at 116". There is some holly growing on it so the diameter is less than the calculated 36.92" One tree man quoted $2500 to remove it, but I think it...
  10. BumoutBob

Glue question

My latest project is a kitchen island table that will have a 26" X 61" granite top. The top will be heavy, so I am using maple and mortice and tennon jointry. The glue used was profesiional dark Titebond. When looking at the label I noticed it said not for structural or loadbearing...
  11. BumoutBob

house fire

A house was lost over night due to rags with linseed oil on them. Some of our wood finishes have linseed oil in them. Be careful, read and head the labels.
  12. BumoutBob

Sent to the garage in 1999

When I moved South in '99 I gave a Rockwell 6" jointer to a son-in-law who didn't use it and stored it in his garage. This weekend I got it back. It cleaned up easy enough. The bearings were a little tight but loosened with some oil. Runs great now. The motor you guys will appreciate, it's a...
  13. BumoutBob

Added sunroom and fireplace

My project for the last 2 months was watching Air Vent install a new Sunroom. After the room was added, and the floor installed I had to build a base for a direct vent fireplace. This installation is a corner unit and I used Cultered Stone "brick" for a real look. Real brick would have been...
  14. BumoutBob

Need wood for table legs

Where in western NC can I find KD 2" X 2" (8/4) maple, ash or white oak? All I need is 4 36" long pieces for a kitchen island. The island is to be 24" X 59" X 36" high. There will be a cabinet in the middle and open ends for the trash can. Three drawers will line the front. A granite...
  15. BumoutBob

Joining up

Hi!, This is Bumout Bob in Hendersonville. I've been in NC for a year now and have been following the threads on the site. Thought I had better join and participate. I have a hobby shop and make wood things, turnings, knives, bowels and speaker cabinets as required. Posted some pictures in...
  16. BumoutBob

New Member signing in

Hi everyone. I'm a new member from Hendersonville and have been viewing the website for a year. I worked in Maryland and moved to NC last year. My interests are turning, rockhounding, Hi-Fi speakers, and smaller hobby shop projects like knife building. I put up a few photos of projects in the...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS