Search results

1. O

Sanding Grit a Reference

(I posted this chart about 4-5 years ago thought it would be useful to repost it since we have so many new members) One of the things we all use is some form of sand or polishing. I have attached a reference PDF that is really helpful is understanding how certain sand paper grits translate to...
  2. O

New computer counter tops

I posted a while back the beginnings of building some computer countertops. I got them glued up, then work hit the overdrive button and I have been working 60+ hrs /wk since. Anyway, the back story - When I moved here a bunch of strippings I had, got damaged by a leaking ship container. The...
  3. O

Framing Hammer old vs new- mini rant

Mini Rant- One of the things I find odd on the jobsite is the affinity for peoples' attraction to buying expensive titanium head hammers. The hammer is north of 200 bucks, it neck and head is usually a California framer style which limits reach in stud pockets, etc. Worst yet- they buy this...
  4. O

Weekend Project, Computer Countertops

I did these over the last 2 weeks. The wood I used was water damaged by the shipper when I moved to the Big island. So, it took alot of cutting and work to get it cleaned up enough to use. I learned quite a bit from this. The water damage wood had more post milling movement than I thought would...
  5. O

Angle Grinder chain disc video

This is why who ever came up with this idea were crazy. This video shows what happens if you go just beyond the center line with this thing. Chain saw disc kickback Video says it all :oops:
  6. O

The Odd Tape Measures

Over the years, I have bought hundreds of Tape Measures , (you know you really never own them, they are just rentals). They disappear or get damaged, stolen, kited or lost. Anyway, I have kept a couple for near 45 years and still have them. But, there are two I find most amusing. The first...
  7. O

Router Plane Build

I was watching You Tube Shorts and this Video of this router plane came through the cue. I thought this might be useful especially when a glue seam moves on you, I screen shot a couple of pix of the tool and figured it should be pretty easy to put together. What appealed to me about this, ...
  8. O

Free Jointer blades 8" Delta

If anyone has an 8" Delta/Rockwell Jointer and wants some blades for the head I have 2 sets, one is the HS steel and the others are Carbide type metal. Also have the lock down blade retainers as well. Let me know and Ill mail it to you, you pay the postage probably 14 bucks or so. Let me know
  9. O

Wood Romance

I recently used a wood on a project. I have used it before but only small pieces. The wood is called a lot of names. Sugi Pine, sometimes Japanese Cedar (Cryptomeria japonica). The wood is a conifer and considered a softwood. However is it harder than Walnut. In fact, this is another of those...
  10. O

Droppers

My wife picked up these for me from the Daiso dollar store. I use these for stain and glue and sometimes solvents. Very handy and at 7.5 cents a piece. Keep an eye for these as they are handy to have.
  11. O

Square gauges on the fly

I went looking for my stair gauge sets, and of course, I couldn't find them. So, I made a couple. Took all of 30-40 min. The hardest part was cutting the threaded inserts down. The groove cut in the block was easy, benefits of having the full kerf saw blade, it is the same thickness as the...
  12. O

Chinesum Dowel maker tool

I recently had surgery so I was laid up unable to do much other than surf the net. And....... of course I ended up in Aliexpress. I ended up buying some long nib markers and pencils (like 10 bucks for 5) and a couple of offset 1/4 drivers and finally the dowel maker. It was like 15 bucks with...
  13. O

Sandpaper cabinet .... sort of

I finally made a little cabinet/rack that sorts the sand paper. What I found is I do not need to buy any 120 grit for the rest of my life 0_o The local restore actually gave me a bunch of sandpaper, so I have a boatload of sheet rock pole sandpaper, belt sandpaper 3x21 and 4x24 + 6x36 and 6x48...
  14. O

Getting rid of old finishes

For some of you, I thought this might be helpful. Others already probably know. ....From time to time your finishes go bad. How you can tell with lacquer or solvent products, they often revert, meaning their chemicals begin to break down. They will often have a distinct smell that is different...
  15. O

New Desk

Kid needed as desk, She does art and needed to be a bit robust, so I made one. All material was from the bone yard. Nothing earth shattering, pretty basic but it was fun to make. I made it 45" x 21" give or take. I sketched up a basic plan and started. The build consisted of the desk base as...
  16. O

Saw stop arrived- quick review

Well My Saw Stop finally got here. ... YAY 1st impression, the unit is packed amazingly ............ but Damn ....... so much packing The directions and labeling is super clear, probably one of the best manual and assembly directions I have read in a long time Got the saw together and...
  17. O

Saw Stop Question

I don't use a dado stack much and I do understand you swap out the cartridge when using. However, I do use a 1/4 and 3/8 wide blade (really 2-1/4 blades when stacked the overlap makes a 3/8) to make dado's. Mostly because I don't do any production and additional passes is not a big deal to me...
  18. O

New Christmas Toys ... uhhh ... I meant tools

Alright, fess up ya'll. What what cool tools (or other cool things) did you get this year? Post here ................... :) ;)
  19. O

Señor Barato (Mr Cheapo)

So, When doing really fine accurate work one often will mark with a blade (marking knife) instead of a pencil, the thinner the blade the easier to mark more accurately. I found these at Daiso. One thing I particularly like are both are made with a low 30 deg angle, nice and easy to get in tight...
  20. O

Saw Dust collection for my Dewalt 735 Planer

Because the Dewalt Planer has such a robust exhaust chip thrower, it really does not need to be hooked up to the dust collector. That is one of the plusses of owning the 735 planer. That said, I originally made a cloth bag that collected the chips. Worked great, but here in Hawaii it is...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS