Search results

1. Steve W

WEN Lathe difficulties

Good morning and happy Friday to y'all. I picked up a WEN 34018 12" mini lathe at a yard sale that has a problem with maintaining a steady speed. I got it cheap, with a bunch of chucks and some basic tools, so it was worth the risk. When I turn it on, it takes a few seconds to start, then...
  2. Steve W

Out of circulation for a while...

Hi, everyone! A lot has happened since the last time I hung out here: I had a career that kinda ate a lot of my spare time, a parent living with us for a few years, a move and, of course, last year. :) We moved to Graham and I now have a huge basement shop, so now, I'm also looking at...
  3. Steve W

I am back!

I haven't checked in here for a long time, though I've been semi-active with Hillsborough Orange Woodworkers (HOW) for the last 7-8 years. My interest is being revived, as I'm getting a huge bump in shop space, as we move to Graham and I get a 21x42 shop space in our new house's unfinished...
  4. Steve W

Cherry panels

I'm building a new vanity for our powder room downstairs, and I'm making it out of cherry - to match the cabinets in the nearby kitchen. It's going to be somewhat Shaker/Craftsman style, so the doors will have their cope & stick cuts with a T & G router bit set that will leave a 1/4" groove for...
  5. Steve W

RAS Gloat

Picked up this circa-1960 Craftsman RAS from one of my ham friends, with moulding cutters, picture frame jig and dado stack guard for $75 - he wanted it out of his garage. This thing was heavy and I'm still surprised my wife and I were able to get it up into the shop by ourselves.:eek: I've...
  6. Steve W

Finishing Oak Stair Treads

I'm in the process of making new, quartersawn red oak stair treads for our house. When doing floor work, I naturally think of using some sort of polyurethane finish, but am wondering if a rubbed-on finish such as Danish Oil might look better. I would assume that the disadvantage of such a...
  7. Steve W

New Toy Store coming to Burlington!

I noticed that there's a new Northern Tool place going in at the shopping center next to JR's. Now I'll have a place to go when my wife is looking at clothes.:rotflm: :kermit: Steve
  8. Steve W

Operable Exterior Shutter Hardware

I think I've decided that my next project will be operable panel shutters for the front of my house. Looking through the usual Google sort-order when searching for "shutter hardware" and related links reveals, of course, the results based on how much money the provided provided the dear boys...
  9. Steve W

GSO CL: Unisaw(?) $650

In Pfafftown. Mobile base & outfeed; Biesemeyer fence. Wish I was a little more financially robust at the moment. Not mine, nor do I know the owner... http://greensboro.craigslist.org/for/677786619.html :kermit: Steve
  10. Steve W

HVAC Needs Replacement

Gee, we bought a house that isn't from the Victorian era, and yet I find that I still have a money pit on my hands!:kamahlitu My 18-year-old gas pack has thrown its last BTU of heat so I am in the process of replacing it. I plan on staying with gas for the heat as much as possible, so my main...
  11. Steve W

Woodworkers' Supply Sale this Weekend

Got an email from them. -15% Off All Delta, DeWalt, & Porter Cable products -15% Off All Bosch products -10% Off All Woodtek products Other deals as well. Seems to be limited to this weekend. Go get 'em! :tool: :kermit: Steve
  12. Steve W

Griz BS Extension Arrived! Question...

My Griz 6" extension arrived by Brown Truck yesterday, and I'm chomping at the bit to get it installed. I notice in the instructions that they say that the top half of the saw "represents a heavy load" and to get assistance. My question here is, about how much does this part of the saw weigh...
  13. Steve W

Stile & Rail Sets

I'm thinking about making a new front door for my house, since the one I have is one of those bland metal ones that disfigure 99% of all houses built after 1975.:wmad: I see that Freud has a S & R set where you can take off the top of the rail bit to form extended tenons. Like so...
  14. Steve W

Need Beyond Full-Extension Slides

I'm not sure where to post this, so it's going in the DIY forum. I have recently-installed factory kitchen cabinets. I decided that I'd get a fancier blind-corner unit, so I got one where a double shelf pulls out on full-extension side-mounted slides, then is supposed to pivot to the side on...
  15. Steve W

Porch Addition

OK, folks, here's the plan: We want a screened-in porch on the back of our two-story Williamsburg colonial-revival. Usually this is a fairly straightforward proposition -- I've done this on a previous house (New England-style "colonial"). The New England one was easy, as I just built a roof...
  16. Steve W

Jointer Gloat

Well, I picked up my Ridgid 6" jointer from Jeff in Oak Ridge (told him about this forum, too, BTW).:-) After all my worrying about whether or not I could (a) fit it into our station wagon and (b) move it to the shop without having to hire the Incredible Hulk for assistance, I was able to do...
  17. Steve W

Jointer from Oak Ridge to Mebane

I can probably take the base off and fit it in LOML's station wagon, but does anyone near/around Mebane/Burlington/Greensboro have a small utility trailer that I could borrow Saturday? Otherwise, someone with a truck and nothing better to do :laugh:. If a truck is involved, will pay for gas...
  18. Steve W

Stanley #4 Gloat

After picking up some "new" tools at the M-WTCA yesterday, my wife and I went to downtown Mebane to hang out for a while. I found this in one of the antique shops for $5! The rust is only surface rust and should clean off easily. The iron still has the factory edge and the Bakelite adjuster...
  19. Steve W

"Finished" My Kitchen!

I'll be uploading more pics of the before as well as the wreckage in-between. The finished shots are in my gallery. When we moved here in '06, one of the things I absolutely knew I had to change was the 1979 kitchen in our "New" (to us) house. Being a typical 1979 Williamsburg Colonial revival...
  20. Steve W

Care, feeding and use of Stanley 81 Scrapers

I picked up a really nice Stanley 81 scraper at an antique shop in Mebane (for $15!). It still has its original Sweetheart iron and rosewood bottom and looks like it was never used very much. The iron (blade?) is beveled on both ends and, not surprisingly, is not very sharp. Does the setup of...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS