Search results

1. Gotcha6

Framing Hammer old vs new- mini rant

You didn't send him after the board stretcher, did you?
  2. Gotcha6

Framing Hammer old vs new- mini rant

I never owned a checkered face hammer. But what I did do is rub the face on a concrete block from time to time to give it a scratched, or 'honed' texture. Over time, the face would become slick and not stick to the nail, glancing off. I was flustered about this one day and an old carpenter...
  3. Gotcha6

"Floating Shelves"- method critique

If you aren't joining them in the corners, i.e. the intersecting wall shelves are on a different plane, I would screw a dadoed or dovetailed cleat to the end wall contact point and go with the lag screws in the long face. In this way, the shelf gets more reinforcement and mounting the shelf...
  4. Gotcha6

"Floating Shelves"- method critique

You could probably get some 3/8" or 1/2" lag screws 6-8" long and drill them into the wall exactly level and saw off the heads, then drill a counter hole in the back of the 8/4. Take one side of the shelf into the corner and dado a spline into the front edge of it to within 3/4" of the front of...
  5. Gotcha6

Portable table saw recommendation

FWIW, and although you have already bought something, we have 2 or 3 DeWalt portables at work and they are great. The rack & pinion blade height and easy bevel adjustment work great. A flip out fence carrier for wide rips helps keep thinner plywood from falling below the fence. Folding up and...
  6. Gotcha6

Paste Wax Replacement

Well at 1 lb. net weigh, I would assume that's about twice the amount or more as is in a JPW can, so not so pricey when you look at it that way.
  7. Gotcha6

Negative rake scrapers?

I'm probably being hypocritical for mentioning this, but be careful about your dust collection with all those fine shavings. It's the fine dust that'll kill ya.
  8. Gotcha6

CNC Router Forum

In reading advertised bed sizes, be aware that this is usually the largest size of stock the machine can receive. I have an X-Carve 1000 and although it will accept stock up to 1m in length and width, it will only carve about 80cm of that. I didn't think of it when I was setting it up, so it...
  9. Gotcha6

Finished and delivered a commission job today

No apology needed here, we love the details.....
  10. Gotcha6

Used Cabinet Saws

Everyone needs a sign at their shop door that says, "Every tool in this shop is trying to kill you."
  11. Gotcha6

TEMU experience

My pet peeve with Lowe's is I always ask for an email and printed receipt. I've not received an email receipt in over 1 year, but do you know what I HAVE received every time I buy? A customer survey form to fill out about what I bought - sent to the SAME email address I asked for the receipt...
  12. Gotcha6

One more product gone down hill

I use it for 'redneck upholstery' repairs on tractor seats. Works great for a few years.....
  13. Gotcha6

Active Injury Mitigation Proposal (Sawstop)

Haven't seen the video yet but I've read other articles earlier stating the saw manufacturers have been pushing back because they allege they could be held potentially liable for all existing saws' damages without this technology. Saw Stop said years ago they would offer licensing rights to any...
  14. Gotcha6

Seeking advice on a hot water heater tank stand

IIRC, garage areas 18" and below are considered a Class III location, subject to combustible vapors being present. Regardless of the energy source, a water heater should be on a stand. Gas heaters because of the flame, and electric heaters because of the thermostat contacts in the heating...
  15. Gotcha6

Bought my first Tractor

One caveat to the 8N or any of the other early Ford tractors. The PTO is coupled directly through the transmission and any time the engine is not engaged through the clutch, energy from the PTO coupled equipment will still back-feed through the transmission. There's been many of these driven...
  16. Gotcha6

Free antlers

I guess with the Game Wardens, it's all a matter of semantics. Kinda like a moonshiner selling you a quart jar for $20, and oh, by the way the liquor is free.....
  17. Gotcha6

Free antlers

From the Statues described above: "If the Wildlife Resources Commission finds that affected game populations would not be endangered, it may authorize the sale of heads, antlers, horns, hides, skins, plumes, feet, and claws of one or more game animals or birds. Looks like this is something they...
  18. Gotcha6

Free antlers

Good thing you're giving them away. Selling them is illegal in NC. Co worker's brother was approached by an "undercover" Game Warden at a craft show where he was selling knives with antler scales on them. When ask the price, he replied, "$20 for the knife and the antler scales are free." The...
  19. Gotcha6

Can I cut Rockler's T-track with my miter saw?

Nah. Just made sure I had my safety glasses on. Sometimes saw blades are cheaper than plywood, but you need a few extra blades to do that stuff. Part of the problem is people not realizing when they build concrete forms that they have to actually come apart once the concrete is set...... This...
  20. Gotcha6

Thiis is as close as I get

I don't think there is such a thing as overkill when designing a child's toy. They could break an anvil with a banana.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS