Search results

1. SteveHall

Marriage marks

FWW article by Megan Fitzpatrick on the how and why of marriage marks: https://www.finewoodworking.com/2020/03/24/you-will-obey-the-triangle The funniest line is how IQ drops whenever the glue bottle opens. #truth
  2. SteveHall

Hide glue series at FW

FineWoodworking just posted a 4-part article and video series on protein (bone, hide) glue, by Patrick Edwards, the creator of Old Brown Glue: https://www.finewoodworking.com/2020/03/20/choosing-and-mixing-hot-hide-glue Interesting initial thoughts about the relevance of strength versus the...
  3. SteveHall

Saw blade topography: taper grinding

I've been researching hand saw making and wanted to understand the implications of blade taper grinding. This is a feature where the thickness of the blade is ground thinner in some areas more than others for various (supposed) reasons: lighter weight, better balance, better flexibility, less...
  4. SteveHall

Moulding standards?

Does anyone here know any history behind wood moulding shape standard numbers? I'm not looking for the authoritative statement, just any insights into where the numbering scheme(s) actually started. There is a general direction in the industry to use a WM## format. You can find these in the...
  5. SteveHall

Cabinet shop fire news

Just saw the news No injuries reported when fire rips through Durham cabinet business regarding this morning's fire at the Garland Woodcraft Company. From the article, "The fire started in a room where chemicals and varnishes are kept, officials said....It's unclear how the fire started."...
  6. SteveHall

burned table saw switch

Has anyone upgraded their table saw switch to a "safer" style with the big red stop paddle? My Delta contractor table saw (36-382) power switch (part # 438010170206S) finally died today. Here's what the contacts look like now: (Of course, I completely removed the motor first to diagnose...
  7. SteveHall

Sawdust usefulness

I generally just throw sawdust into a compost pile. Check out this guy's machine for turning sawdust into briquettes for wood stove fuel!
  8. SteveHall

Modern wood (and glass) stairs

Hi fellow NCWWs, Shot in the dark here, but I'm looking for someone who can put together an exquisite set of modern stairs like this modern wood stair and glass handrail on Houzz. My day job is architecture and I have a client requesting this exact thing. I'd like to talk to you if you...
  9. SteveHall

old woodworking jokes

Q: Why does this greenish soft "hardwood" have a lot of friends? A: Because it's poplar. (Sorry, I can't resist telling this to my kids once a week .) Q: Why did the project ask for a shave before being slathered with water-based finish? A: Because it hadn't been de-whiskered. Okay...
  10. SteveHall

Plywood near Raleigh?

I've been searching all over the Raleigh area for a sheet or two of AB or better 1/2" and 1/4" plywood, is there anything closer than The Hardwood Store of NC in Gibsonville? Can't believe there aren't half a dozen sources given the population, but I guess commercial shops buy in bulk, not retail.
  11. SteveHall

Top scrolling banner

Can we dispense with the top scrolling banner? I know it is intended to catch everyone's attention but it is really distracting. I thought scrolling banners went out in the late 90's? Perhaps it could be made to blink instead--then I could at least turn it off in firefox. :)
  12. SteveHall

Jointer height opinions

Should I saw 4" off of my jointer's legs? In doing some shop reorganization, I'm debating doing just this in order to get my open-base 6" jointer (an old Delta 37-190) below my tablesaw surface. Then it can sit right next to it and not be in the way of cuts on wide material. This would put...
  13. SteveHall

Home Depot Power Tool Clearance event

This evening the Apex Home Depot was painting a huge "Power Tool Clearance Event" banner that they said would apply for tomorrow (Saturday) and Sunday. Not sure if this applies to other stores, but they appear to be lining up Rigid granite and other table saws, compressors, shop vacuums, battery...
  14. SteveHall

Red Tape (clear adhesive measuring tape)

I don't think I've seen a product exactly like this before: http://www.redtape1.com Think Scotch Tape with measuring markings printed on it for $6.50 a 55 foot roll.
  15. SteveHall

Intro

Hi folks, an intro about me for the record. I've been interested in woodworking for many years (did timber framing one high school summer), but it has been only in the last few that I decided to jump in with both feet and set up a shop as a solution to furnishing the house. The same time I...
  16. SteveHall

User vs Corporate Member

Hmm, any reason I'm a "User" and not a "Corporate Member"? I have more than 3 visits a week, intro'ed myself ages ago (shown as such at one point), post occasionally, donated, have avatar, etc.?
  17. SteveHall

Customize profile broken?

I can set custom colors in my "Customize Profile" user settings, but they don't seem to work. Are these broken or disabled?
  18. SteveHall

A deal a day (actually, two)

I thought I'd share these one-product-a-day sale sites (like Woot!) for tools that I bumped in to last night: 1 Tool A Day Tooliday.com They don't always have high quality items, but sometimes they do. For example, today, the first one has the Milwaukee 18V 1/2" Hammer Drill Kit for...
  19. SteveHall

There is a bug in the New Posts link that apparently ignores threads to which the user has posted. For example, right now I'm trying to find this thread posted to as of 8:34pm last night. But it is not shown in the New Posts list (for me). This happens for all my threads, perhaps there is a...
  20. SteveHall

Wood Clock Works

Anybody here ever make wooden clock works? I spent about three hours the other night looking at various sites and YouTube videos, it seems that with a good scroll saw, a little BB and a lot of patience, one could make it in a month of evenings and weekends. Here's some links...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS