Search results

1. DIYGUY

Fine Woodworking Issues 92-230

This collection is missing two or three magazines, but is almost entirely complete. It includes some special releases for tool reviews. There are some truly inspiring articles, along with many tips and techniques. The date range is Jan/92 to Winter 2012/13. These are in color and not the...
  2. DIYGUY

Broken 'Contact us' link on Home Page

I need assistance. I tried to use the subject link, but an error message appears. I tried Chrome and Edge with identical errors. Please help me learn how to request that my UserID be enabled once again to author posts in the "For Sale' forum. At one time I had this capability, but not now...
  3. DIYGUY

Porter-Cable Omnijig 7116 24" Dovetail Machine - $279

This jig is in top condition and with a little TLC could be as new. P-C dropped this line years ago - it's likely because it was expensive to make, and thereby costly when compared with other brands. Many experienced WWers are familiar with the Leigh Dovetail jig. There isn't any comparison...
  4. DIYGUY

Shelix Head - Caveat Emptor

Long story - I will try to be brief. I have a Steel City thickness planer bought 10 years back, with a carbide cutterhead. It's similar but not identical to the Shelix head. The main difference is that instead of spiral cutter placements they are inline and parallel to the bed. All works...
  5. DIYGUY

Classified Challenges

Had a devil of a time trying to find how to create a post in the Classifieds for an item I am selling. Finally solved the riddle, and created a post, complete with a pic. When it was published neither the picture nor the price came through. Now I cannot find where the edit capability is to...
  6. DIYGUY

Refinish Danish Teak Table Top

I hope someone might offer a suggestion for refinishing a badly stained teak table top that is Danish Modern. This means basically that it is teak veneered and is a light brown color. The stains very likely go well down below the veneer so sanding them out is not possible. I doubt that a...
  7. DIYGUY

A different use of power ...

Thought you all would enjoy this ... hope it hasn't been posted before! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6FxG3ll-lw
  8. DIYGUY

First Wood Bending Project

I started this little Kalimba about two years back as a graduation present for my daughter, who got her degree from UNC. She has tremendous musical gifts, and I thought this might be a welcome memento of her accomplishment. I was inspired by a YouTube video on making a ukulele, and felt that I...
  9. DIYGUY

Need Green Stock for Steam Bending

I am trying to source green stock that is suitable to steam bend. I will use it to form the sides of a Kalimba, in a guitar body pattern. Ideally, it would be something with figure, and attractive, as well as fairly easy to work with. Does anyone know of a source where I might find such a...
  10. DIYGUY

How do you remove the dog from a vise?

I have a Columbian vise similar to the one in the pic. I wish to remove the dog for a restoration project. I cannot determine a way to do so. The lifting tang is the problem, as it does not appear to be screwed in, and if it is pressed in I cannot tell. Anyone have a good thought on how to...
  11. DIYGUY

Need Deck Chair Hardware

In the process of power-washing my deck furniture today I discovered that one of our chairs has lost several key pieces of hardware. These chairs are teak, I think they were originally made in India? The hardware is brass, and consists of barrel bolts, allen head nuts, and stops. Does anyone...
  12. DIYGUY

Custom Made Website

Found this site was originally posted by Dave O. back about seven years ago. Time flies by and they seem to have grown. A fun look at what others do with their imagination and talent ... http://www.custommade.com/
  13. DIYGUY

Cheap lumber source on CL?

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/grd/3724382725.html Sounds as if it could be a good deal - but 'fore I drive that long a ways, twould be nice to learn if anyone has something to say 'bout it!
  14. DIYGUY

Need a good welder

Anyone know of someone who is highly capable as a welder and in the RTP area? I have a cast iron part that I broke in two and need it brazed together. Send me a PM if you have a skilled contact to recommend and thanks ...
  15. DIYGUY

Would I ever love to have this in my shop!

Sadly, it not only won't physically fit, it won't fit in the budget either. Talk about a one-of-a-kind treasure though! Things as beautiful as this simply do not happen along all that often ...
  16. DIYGUY

What a dolt am I!

Changed the blade on my bandsaw y'day to do a little curve work. Found it hard to use and that it was burning a lot. Strange, methought, is the blade dull? Checked it and it wasn't dull. Threw another board at it and same result. What is going on here? You guessed it - put it on upside...
  17. DIYGUY

Another side of WW'ing ...

This craft has so many aspects to it - here is one that is not often touched on here. Check out the work of this craftsman - truly awe inspiring! http://modelshipbuilder.com/page.php?40
  18. DIYGUY

Need a crowd to make this happen ...

I have dreamed about working in chestnut for some time. Found this site: http://www.appalachianwoods.com/lumber/current_lumber_items.htm today while cruising on the Inet. The yard is up in VA, a bit of a hike from the Triangle. Take a gander at the last item - Number 22. If there is enough...
  19. DIYGUY

Where are the bargain lovers?

Posted this "http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/vbclassified.php?do=ad&id=594" here last week and have only found one taker for two shelves. I have one more plus the two 2' x 4' pieces that would make great assembly tables. These are truly worth coming to get and taking home. They are NOT...
  20. DIYGUY

I do not want any more tools!!

With the advent of Father's Day this is my announcement to my family and any others who think I need another tool. Please ... I have drawers and drawers of tools. I have some that have never been used and some I could not figure out what they are supposed to do. I have tools from the last two...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS