Search results

1. DIYGUY

Cherry getting sawn

Several points of consideration for you: If your bandsaw is incapable of resawing, then you might limit your requested thicknesses of the sawyer to what your planer will comfortably handle. Keep in mind thickness planing to 3/4 (common final thickness) generates a lot of sawdust, will dull...
  2. DIYGUY

Fine Woodworking Issues 92-230

This collection is missing two or three magazines, but is almost entirely complete. It includes some special releases for tool reviews. There are some truly inspiring articles, along with many tips and techniques. The date range is Jan/92 to Winter 2012/13. These are in color and not the...
  3. DIYGUY

Broken 'Contact us' link on Home Page

Ah, apparently I have been changed to New User. I have been on this site for more than 15 years, thus, that is untrue...
  4. DIYGUY

Broken 'Contact us' link on Home Page

I need assistance. I tried to use the subject link, but an error message appears. I tried Chrome and Edge with identical errors. Please help me learn how to request that my UserID be enabled once again to author posts in the "For Sale' forum. At one time I had this capability, but not now...
  5. DIYGUY

Clark Drill Press

Might be a company inventory tag - just a thought ...
  6. DIYGUY

Porter-Cable Omnijig 7116 24" Dovetail Machine - $279

Well this is embarassing. Somehow I overlooked including that! Updated now. Thank you!
  7. DIYGUY

Porter-Cable Omnijig 7116 24" Dovetail Machine - $279

This jig is in top condition and with a little TLC could be as new. P-C dropped this line years ago - it's likely because it was expensive to make, and thereby costly when compared with other brands. Many experienced WWers are familiar with the Leigh Dovetail jig. There isn't any comparison...
  8. DIYGUY

Need help identifying vintage machine

May have seen this already, but as it doesn't seem to have been posted I thought readers might enjoy it .... https://ismacs.net/florence/history_of_the_florence_sewing_machine_company.html
  9. DIYGUY

Shelix Head - Caveat Emptor

Nice lessons to be learned - my thanks Charles! Yes, you are correct - the screw is most likely a #4 taper, though with a Torx head. It has been such a journey, I do hope it spares others some aggravation.
  10. DIYGUY

Well, the saga has come to a bittersweet close. My thanks to all who contributed. This is so typical of me. I went to the planer today to see if the screws I ordered would fit. I opened the little storage cubby to retrieve the Torx wrench and there, taped to the inside was an envelope with...
  11. DIYGUY

In case anyone is interested, this is what Byrd uses for their carbide cutter attachment screws ...
  12. DIYGUY

Thanks Charlie, if you are open to letting me compare one of mine to one of yours I will gladly pay for the coffee! PM me if your schedule permits ...
  13. DIYGUY

WTB 115" bandsaw blade in Wilmington

Timberwolf is located in NC and they will ship you what you need overnight if necessary. Their quality is excellent. > Check that - located in NY, sorry!
  14. DIYGUY

Long story - I will try to be brief. I have a Steel City thickness planer bought 10 years back, with a carbide cutterhead. It's similar but not identical to the Shelix head. The main difference is that instead of spiral cutter placements they are inline and parallel to the bed. All works...
  15. DIYGUY

Looking for a small electric motor repair shop near Raleigh

+1 on Motors & Controls - good guy to work with ....
  16. DIYGUY

Classified Challenges

Had a devil of a time trying to find how to create a post in the Classifieds for an item I am selling. Finally solved the riddle, and created a post, complete with a pic. When it was published neither the picture nor the price came through. Now I cannot find where the edit capability is to...
  17. DIYGUY

Refinish Danish Teak Table Top

Well, this is a good deal of help - just what I need! I have to say that in the past my own experience with using lacquer thinner to remove a lacquer surface was not successful. I will definitely try again with wooly steel and thinner. If this works it is likely to be just what I need. Today...
  18. DIYGUY

Thank you for the advice Jeff. I know it is a mess - the scratches and water stains will be challenging to deal with. I am fairly confident it is veneer. Only way to know for certain is take a core from underneath. Better yet - there are some screwed battens I might be able to remove and...
  19. DIYGUY

Okay, here are some pix. Gruesome, but very much still worth rescuing! Wanted to post many pix but for some reason the window would time out on the upload, and then I would be logged out. I tried to reduce image file size as I thought that was the likely culprit, but could not make it much...
  20. DIYGUY

Thank you Raymond. Will post pix shortly ...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors