Search results

1. R

Wood ID please

Found this log on the roadside and think it may be good for spoons but I’d like to know what it is. The 12 inch diameter by 12 inch log weighs 40-50lbs and is quite hard. Images are QS grain, bark, and end grain. Thanks for looking.
  2. R

Remove black stains on oak

I recently changed out my old style surface mount cabinet door hinges with concealed hinges. I would like to fill the now exposed screw holes with a color matched putty but there are black stains around some of the holes that limits how well the putty covers. (Photo) Is there a way to lessen...
  3. R

Narex Chisel Set question

I am looking for a modestly priced set of chisels. Amazon is offering this set for about $70. What do you think...
  4. R

Aluminum center-finding tool for $4.89 (All Gone)

Not sure why it was so cheap but this arrived today and was as-advertised. Other listings for similar tool are $20 or more. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082KDWZT6?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details
  5. R

Dewalt 735 planer $250

Facebook marketplace, Stanley, NC Not mine, not endorsing Log In or Sign Up to View
  6. R

Diamond wheel dressing tool

I have never used one of these. I just bought a Rikon 80-805 low speed grinder that was supposed to include a dressing tool. It was missing so Woodcraft agreed to provide me with a ;comparable; one. Rikon does not state the grit of their diamond tool. The grinder includes wheels at 60 and...
  7. R

Whirligig

I think I might want to make a few whirligigs, just for fun. Anyone have any tips, tricks, plans, or book recommendations to offer before I get in too deep.
  8. R

Thoughts on diamond stones

I bought a 2-sided 400/1000 diamond stone on sale a few years ago; the kind with the plastic substrate. The diamond surface substrate has delaminated and its time to upgrade. I intend to sharpen chisels and plane irons and would be looking for 3X8 or larger surface. Any thought on the 'best'...
  9. R

Not gonna buy this

All I can say is I wish this person luck... asking $10 for this 1.2 BF cherry board. https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1363720640634580/
  10. R

Not sure I'd want to use this

Found on craigslist...
  11. R

Two seater bench in red cedar

I recently undertook a cedar bench project, one of my more ambitious undertakings, and thought I'd share the results. I started with rough sawn 2X6 boards obtained from a sawyer nearby (Brandon Smith). The design is based on one I bought but I made several changes to improve comfort (both my...
  12. R

Wood species for outdoor bench

I am considering building an outdoor bench similar to the one shown in the attached photo. Currently considering either cypress or red cedar but am open to other options. I believe I can get cedar through a local sawmill but am curious if anyone has a recommendations based on workability...
  13. R

Upcoming project with 7 yr old girl

My daughter and her fiancé will be coming from CT for a visit along with his 7 yr old daughter, Emma. As we are in a rural area, I was worried that she’d be bored so I proposed a project for her and me to work on while she is here. The doll-sized rocking bench shown here is a scaled version of a...
  14. R

Jorgensen EZ hold 12 inch clamps on clearance

Found at my local (Monroe, NC) Lowes. 2-pack for $15.99. Seems to be system-wide as indicated via Lowes.com. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Jorgensen-EZ-HOLD-2-Pack-12-in-33400-Series-Bar-Clamp/1000763706
  15. R

Newbie from Monroe

Just wanted to (finally) say hello. My name is Rick Rockwell. I am a former Yankee (CT). Been in Monroe, NC since retirement 2 yrs ago. Not a 'real' woodworker but know my way around the shop . Mostly do functional items and home repair type stuff.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS