Search results

1. Wiley's Woodworks

Waynesville Woodworkers

The Waynesville Woodworkers, aka sawdust heads, are getting together on Wednesday, April 17, at noon in Waynesville. We have active woodworkers from 4 counties. Skill sets include woodturning, furniture making, live edge slab making, and a few other dubious talents. Get in touch with me if...
  2. Wiley's Woodworks

Padding On Vise Jaws

I'm building a high end woodworker's workbench. One of the features is a leg vise, which requires the leg to be perfectly flush with the edge of the workbench top. I am accustomed to putting a pad on the chops of end and face vises. For this bench I plan on using crubber--1/16" thick gasket...
  3. Wiley's Woodworks

Waynesville Woodworkers Lunch

Our next get together will be Wednesday, Feb 28, at noon at the Haywood Smokehouse in Waynesville. We now have woodworkers in our group from Asheville to Brevard to Franklin. We have talented woodturners, furniture makers, knick knacks to cabinet makers. If you would like to join us and talk...
  4. Wiley's Woodworks

Scholarship Recipients For NCWW Scholarship Fund

I had the pleasure of meeting, taking to lunch, and getting to know the first two student recipients of our scholarship funds. They are both worthy of our scholarships, so I am hopeful our investments will be rewarded by enabling them to enter the profession of woodworking after graduation...
  5. Wiley's Woodworks

Cleaning Up Wood Glue In Bathroom Sink

My wife has thrown me into the doghouse over using the basement bathroom sink to clean off my tools after doing glue ups. I've left a thin film (she can feel it) of glue on the basin of the sink. The sink and countertop are one piece of cultured marble. How do I clean the basin without...
  6. Wiley's Woodworks

Waynesville Woodworkers Lunch Meeting

Our next lunch meeting is set for Wednesday, Jan 17, at noon at Haywood Smokehouse in Waynesville. We are going to have our best turnout ever--10 are expected. If you live anywhere from I 26 to TN, it's an hour or less to get together with a great bunch of serious hobbyists who do all types of...
  7. Wiley's Woodworks

Waynesville Woodworkers

The next regular/irregular meeting of Waynesville Woodworkers will be next Wednesday, Nov 8, at noon. If you live anywhere in western North Carolina, we invite you to join us and talk sawdust. We have furniture makers, wood turners, knick-knack makers, repurposes, all kinds of woodworking...
  8. Wiley's Woodworks

WTB--Wide 8/4 and 12/4 Sugar Maple

I'm making a really high end woodworkers workbench, and want to use sugar, aka northern hard, maple for the bench top. The plans, which I want to follow, call for the top to be 4" thick and made by gluing 4" wide boards together on their faces, i.e., the edges will be the bench top. I want to...
  9. Wiley's Woodworks

Waynesville Woodworkers Lunch--Sep 27

The next regularly-irregular get together of the Waynesville Woodworkers will be lunch at noon at Haywood Smokehouse in Waynesville next Wednesday, Sep 27. Please reply and let me know if you will be joining us so I can reserve the right size table. If you are new bring samples, or at least...
  10. Wiley's Woodworks

Strength Of Mortise And Tenon Joint

I'm building a heavy duty woodworker's workbench. The plans I'm most closely following call for mortise and tenon joinery on 1 3/4" thick rails for the under frame. Unfortunately the lumber I have to work with didn't mill out that thick. I've got to slim down the dimensions of the tenon...
  11. Wiley's Woodworks

DeWalt 735 Planer--Rotor and 2 Sets Of Blades

I recently purchased a 735 planer and immediately replaced the stock rotor and cutter blades with an aftermarket helical head cutter. I have the original stock rotor with both bearings mounted, two sets of blades, and all mounting screws. Everything is brand new; never been used. Price is $125...
  12. Wiley's Woodworks

Entire Woodworking Shop For Sale--Asheville

This is a fully equipped shop--machinery, power tools, hand tools, wood, fixtures, dust collection...everything. Much of the inventory is brand new, some still on shipping pallets. The rest is hardly used, like brand new. Most of the machinery--table saw, band saw, 15" planer, jointer, drill...
  13. Wiley's Woodworks

Setting Cutting Depth On DeWalt 735 Planer

I ran across and lost a hack for ultra-accurate setting of the stock thickness/depth of cut on the 735 planer. It has to do with either cranking down past the desired thickness and then backing off or setting the depth of cut shallower than desired and then cranking down to the working piece...
  14. Wiley's Woodworks

Site Seems To Be Running Faster!

I don't think it's my imagination; the site seems to be running faster in the last 2 days. I know Neal has been doing some major repairs/maintenance/ reconfiguring/ troubleshooting/rewriting in the last 2-3 weeks. I think it has paid off. I am trapped with a slow speed internet feed over here...
  15. Wiley's Woodworks

Waynesville Woodworkers Lunch

The Waynesville Woodworkers are meeting for lunch on Wednesday, July 26, at noon. We will be talking sawdust until the iced tea runs out. If you will be a first timer, bring samples or photos of what you make so we can get to know you better. Respond, and I will get back to you with more details.
  16. Wiley's Woodworks

Starrett Combination Square--What's The Difference?

I've got a chance to buy a Starrett 3-in-1 combination square/center finder/protractor, model # 9-12-4R. This seems to be the lowest grade of Starrett in this tool. What's the difference in this "entry level" model and the really pricey models that retail for $400+?
  17. Wiley's Woodworks

2 Versions Of Byrd Helical Cutter For DeWalt 735

I have convinced myself that for my new DeWalt 735 planer the upgrade to a helical head cutter is worth the $, and that the Byrd cutters are worth the $ over other brands. Now, which size Byrd cutter head? I understand the installation differences in the 2 heads--the undersize doesn't require...
  18. Wiley's Woodworks

Waynesville Woodworkers Lunch--Wednesday, June 14

The next regular irregular (you old timers with heart health issues know what this means lol) lunch is this Wednesday, June 14, at noon at Haywood Smokehouse in Waynesville. Bring some of your work, or at least photos, so we can get a good feel for your style of woodworking. We have furniture...
  19. Wiley's Woodworks

Carbide Blades For DeWalt 735X Planer

I destroyed my Delta planer...well actually it destroyed itself. I now have to replace it, and the overwhelming consensus of bench top planer reviews is that the Dewalt 735X is the best planer. The most common complaint about them is that the HSS blades that come with it don't last when...
  20. Wiley's Woodworks

Strength Of Mortise & Tenon Joint

I'm building a massive woodworker's workbench. I'm taking design elements from 3 different benches in Christopher Schwarz's books and a set of plans from Benchcrafted. My preferred joinery to attach the top to the under frames is to cut tenons on the tops of the legs, insert them into mortises...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS