Search results

1. D

relative humidity meter for site

I need some kind of relative humidity metering device for (temporary) site where wood work will be installed. Any suggestions? Dennis ps just relocated to Charlotte from OBX Kill Devil Hills so include me in anything going on this side of the state.
  2. D

Looking for 10/4 or 12/4 Curly Cherry and Mahogany

I have been buying through Irion lumber in Pa. The best hardwood I've ever seen. Called instrument grade. Hand picked matching sets. Just second to none. Thicknesses are custom. They by trees and dry them on site. Also they are wood workers which helps. I flew up last summer to see what...
  3. D

Left tilt unisaw + dado blade???

Rob Thanks for the insight in the dial a blade. I don't think i can justify the cost of the set for the type of cutting we're doing. Not finely tuned dado joints but mostly hogging out material before fine tuning with a router. This site and people like yourself are a great value to me...
  4. D

what type and size of work shop do I need

I have won My wife for a month plus has said i must build a seperate shop. She wants the garage for kids and her stuff. (4 kids under seven with bikes, skateboards, big wheels and surfboards etc...is alot of stuff) Anyway my problem is flood plain. I live in it. So must be on pilings...
  5. D

This belongs on the wall of shame, but here it goes. The guys in the shop told me today they just didn't want to cut my throat plate. I was like what?! Thats what i get for assuming. You know the saying. My fault for not checking and thanks for responding so quickly. dennis
  6. D

At the boat shop we have a 10" left tilt unisaw and it appears we can't fit an 8" dado blade. Anybody have any ideas? We were looking at the freud SD600 dial a width dado set, but have no idea how it does. Any help would be great. Thanks Dennis
  7. D

Marine Plywood

hey Stephen, On monday when i get back in the office i will look at our suppliers to see if we deal with any that have branches in the west. I work in a boat shop just north of you near nags head in obx. We order units of okoume marine ply. dennis
  8. D

Router table suggestions for dewalt 625

I have a dewalt dw 625 3hp plunge router i would like to convert to a router table. Any suggestions, self made (any plans would help) or ready to mount store bought units. Will this unit work in a router table as it is a plunge? Its just a bummer as i bought a new 690 kit and haven't used...
  9. D

Need new finish for yacht interiors

Tom, You or anybody else is welcome to come see the boats. You can see them at the end of a work day (nobody grinding or finishing). Just I wouldn't let your wife in till she has the baby due to the chemicals. We have to take care of those mommies and babies. congrads again Dennis
  10. D

thanks eagle, my finish guy had to leave early today but when he gets back i will send him to the site. I like the fool proof finishes like your discribing. Means the boat will look better longer because easier for the owner to maintain. I've even seen polyester resin sprayed interiors...
  11. D

Sounds good, water based seems to be the way everything is going. Anybody ever use a finish by ICA i think sold at Sherwin Williams?
  12. D

Great (Wonderful) News!!!

Hurray Tom, I cheer when i hear a parent excited about their children. There is no greater achievement than raising children into healthy happy adults. The world needs more like you. I have 2 boys 7yrs. 5yrs. and 2 girls 3yrs. and 9month old and my wife is allready talking about a tie...
  13. D

Its a hidden woodworking heaven. There is 17 custom builders just here on the outer banks. All building in the 60' and up range. I have 3 months to complete a 65' with a curly walnut interior and am mid way through a 76' with a curly cherry interior with carpathian elm burl accents. About 3...
  14. D

Jeff, GREAT IDEA. I will give them a call tomarrow as i already have an account with them. And i use their touch up products now, burn in kit and pigmented powders etc... I'm going to order as many samples as i can from different sources and try to make a decision in two weeks. We just hired...
  15. D

I over see the construction of yacht interiors for a custom sportfish builder in OBX. I have been using a finish called poly seal, which is a poly urethan high build sealer with a satin top coat. I found out just recently that the manufacture (advanced finishing) has stopped making finishes. So...
  16. D

"Sandeply" is garbage!!!

When ordering for the boat shop i've been through them all. Fuma, chin chin, wood core, 5x5 BB and russian BB but all warped off truck or after first cut. We tried the popular core shop grade faces and birch but soooo heavy. We now have gone over to european lite ply from lite ply corp. i...
  17. D

past member back on board

hey chris welcome to a very addicted pool of people just like us. To the rest of you guys this is chris. We work together in the boat shop building interiors. I've become a bit of a pusher for this web site. Chris is a heck of a carpenter just too bad he's not much to look at like me...
  18. D

thanks guys, and steve, changed email provider and was afraid i couldn't get back on so thanks steve for joining the old with the new. this site keeps me very humble dennis
  19. D

Just saying hi I joined about a year ago but with addition of my forth child (all under 7) and the purchase of a new house i lost track of everyone. I moved from kitty hawk on the beach to kill devil hills on the sound to be in a year round community. Still building boat interiors and anything...
  20. D

Blame Fred P

Doug glad to see another salt, I build boat interiors north of you in Kill Devil Hills on the coast. Woodworkers from boat building are a little off in my experience, everything i build must have a curve or some kind of problem for me to feel comfortable. Squares and levels are only a...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS