Search results

1. C

Where can I buy 1/4 and 1/2 inch wood?

I've been working with my scrollsaw, I'm new to it and smaller projects call for smaller wood. It makes sense. But I can't buy anything wider than 6 inches at lowes or home depot, it's only hardwoods, I dont have a planer and dont intend to buy one. I'm new to this and I've just got no idea...
  2. C

Buying a bandsaw

I dont think from what I've seen or read about resawing that I'd really be interested very much in that but I might be at some point because I am trying to do scroll saw work also. I'm just not very good at it yet and I'll need to upgrade that machine too at some point. But jet does make a riser...
  3. C

Buying a bandsaw

The price is 450 so I would think it's worth it. I'm not sure I understand the importance of the width of the blade like you're talking about though. It's making me worry that I'm just too new to all of this.
  4. C

Buying a bandsaw

What do you guys think about a Jet 14CS? I found a used one on CL yesterday with a fence.
  5. C

Buying a bandsaw

I guess it's because I dont really understand them. I mean, I know their use is to keep the blade aligned and prevent it from shifting too much one way or another but using a solid block especially if the blade does run into it doesn't seem like it would be good for the blade between metal on...
  6. C

Buying a bandsaw

I can't thank you all enough for the responses to this. I agree with the importance of a sharp blade though, it's on the front line so to speak. I'm anxiety prone and although I'm sure the block guides would be fine I'd still rather go with the bearing guides. I was thinking about going...
  7. C

Buying a bandsaw

The biggest problem is that I probably can't spot things besides obvious things that are going to be wrong if I buy a used bandsaw. So maybe buying a new one is just the safest way to go for me. Do you guys have any recommendations as to brands to go with or avoid? And I'm still not sure whether...
  8. C

Buying a bandsaw

Well I'm trying to limit my budget as best I can. I've got no problem really with buying a used one, it's just kind of difficult finding a decently priced one. What is the real difference between the block guides and the bearing guides anyway? I've got limited space so I'm not going to be...
  9. C

Buying a bandsaw

I'm still pretty new to the forum so forgive me if I'm posting this in the wrong place. I'm trying to put together a small workshop at my house because I've always wanted to get into woodworking as a hobby that might turn into something more and I'm looking for some advice on buying a bandsaw...
  10. C

Choosing a miter saw and blade

I appreciate all of the feedback from everyone. It feels like I need to respond to everyone individually though lol. I've used a lot of power tools in my life, I'm not big on Ryobi either, but for $200 that's a deal that's hard to just pass over. I know that you get what you pay for, that's one...
  11. C

Choosing a miter saw and blade

I need some advice about buying a miter saw and a blade, there are a lot to choose from and I want a quality one that doesn't cost $600. I'm sure some of it depends on what kind of wood I'll be cutting but I'll probably be cutting softwoods and hardwoods for making outdoor furniture, birdhouses...
  12. C

Comment by 'Charles-H' in media 'Nativity Scene'

That's awesome.
  13. C

Prevent screws from splitting?

So the taper shank drills with the countersink take care of the pilot hole and the shank?
  14. C

Mike, I'm planning on going to one of the specialty wood stores around Charlotte and get wood from them. I used the white wood that Lowes had before and it is just way too soft and dry for purposes like that. But at the same time, I'm not sure what would be a good wood type to use as far as...
  15. C

I'm new to the forum. I'm hoping to be able to get into woodworking more this year and my girlfriend and I are wanting to make some adirondack chairs hopefully in the next few months. I've worked with wood quite a bit over the years but one thing I've never really investigated is why wood ends...
  16. C

New to the forum

My name is Charles. I've worked with all kinds of materials and built things but I've always preferred working with wood more. I have some experience but probably not as much as other people here and have questions about how to do certain things properly or in the best way. I'm always willing to...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors