Search results

1. P

Bookcase - WIP

I thought I'd post some work in progress photos of the bookcase I promised to my wife two years ago! I've been building it with maple to match a credenza I built at the end of 2021. I'm using this Finewoodworking article as the design. Elegant Bookcase, Top to Bottom - FineWoodworking Ever since...
  2. P

Need recommendations of designers and/or firms to help with Kitchen and minor home renovations

My wife and I are renovating our kitchen and possibly some porch/outdoor space soon, and we were hoping you all would know of firms or folks that can help with design work as well as most of the contractor work. We live in the Triad area, specifically Winston-Salem. The caveat that I think will...
  3. P

Lectern Joinery

Hey all - my church asked me to take this old lectern they found in a building they are moving into and put on a new top and refinish. As I dove into the project, the post is pine - really nice fine grain pine at that. It was assembled with nails with butt joints. The top and bottom were also...
  4. P

Potential Job Opportunity - Clemmons, NC

All - a friend of mine is seeking a craftsperson (or persons!) to finish out a room at her parents' home in Clemmons. "The below image is what we are shooting for-- except there would be queen beds on top and bottom and there would be 3 total running across a 22' wall, 8' in height. The cross...
  5. P

Media Credenza Project

I finally finished this a couple of weeks ago. This was the first piece on my wife's wish list for the living room. Got a bookcase and two end tables left. You all were helpful in deciding the joinery. All of it is maple except the drawer bottoms and back which are plywood. Went with dados for...
  6. P

Technique Question

Anyone ever hook up their shop vac used for miter saw dust collection to the blower port…prepare to make a cut…turn on said vac…and subsequently get covered from head to belt in sawdust? Asking for a friend.
  7. P

Joinery Question - Credenza

To all the experts out there...I'm going to be starting a credenza build similar to this that I found on etsy: I plan on it being solid wood except the back panel. All my casework has been primarily plywood to date, so I thought I might try something more challenging. How would you all tackle...
  8. P

Free Harbor Freight Dust Collector

Free to whomever picks it up first. Works fine. Just upgrading my system. Have some 4” flexible hose and a garbage can chip separator. Will need some bags. I had some luck with some on Amazon. Hope someone can use it!
  9. P

Pencil Boxes

I made some pencil boxes for gifts for my children this year. I've mainly done larger projects to date, so this was a new one for me. As always, I forgot to take any WIP pictures except one while I was finishing them. I used this plan from Woodworkers Journal...
  10. P

Outdoor Project - Pergola

I recently finished a pergola for our pool/backyard. There really wasn't a ton of woodworking skills needed, but it was a fun summer project. We replaced a deteriorating brick patio with new tile, so my wife suggested a pergola. In my mind, it was a waste of wood! After a bit of research, I...
  11. P

Latest Project - Headboard

I've completed my latest project - a headboard for my mother as a gift. She's only asked for a couple of years now! She wanted it white, so I used poplar. Instead of gluing up the posts and rails that were 2" thick by 4" wide, I used 12/4 stock and was able to re-saw a bit off to use elsewhere...
  12. P

Phil Lowe Workbench

I'm finally thinking about building a workbench as my next shop project. I've avoided hand work partially because I've always told myself I didn't have the right bench. Not a good excuse, but I don't want it to be one anymore! Based on the size of my shop, I think this workbench from Phil Lowe...
  13. P

Shoulder Plane

I am in need of some advice and suggestions. I am going to attempt some mortise and tenon joinery for a few upcoming projects, two desks and a coffee table. This will be my first real attempt. After doing some research, it seems like a shoulder plane would be ideal to fine tune the tenons and...
  14. P

Beds Finished

I posted awhile back asking for help with a bed design. You all were very helpful, and I promised to post some finished pics. The finished product turned out much better because of the help I received here. There's always the "I wish I would've done that differently" moments. However, I learned...
  15. P

White Oak v. Ash

I need some advice. I'll be building a desk and coffee table for our den, and my wife would like it to be almost a pewter color. I think General Finishes has a dye that is that color. Based on reading through this website and some other places, white oak and ash are suitable for staining...
  16. P

Bed Design

Good afternoon all...I'm seeking some advice on design and joinery for these headboards and footboards I'm building for my daughters. The mattress will sit on a platform/case that will have drawers based on the design in FWW #240. Below is a draft of the design my wife likes. It is all poplar...
  17. P

Built-Ins Finished

I just finished some built-ins for our den. My wife is the true "finisher", and she wanted them white so she sprayed General Finishes snow white milk paint with a fuji 3 turbine and then finished with a few coats of General Finishes high performance topcoat. That was her first try at spraying...
  18. P

Rookie in Winston

Hi all - just recently joined and have enjoyed the content and hospitality so far! I've slowly built up a hobby shop over the last few years, and my wife has built up her request list. I truly enjoy creating something useful and aesthetically pleasing. I'm still a beginner in my book...working...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS