Search results

1. MikeL

Selling NEW Skil 10” Worm Drive Table Saw w/ Mobile Stand

Are you in the market for a Skil 10” worm drive table saw with mobile stand? I purchased this to use in my garage, but my new job gives me access to a table saw. Pickup in Apex, NC. I can help load. $500 cash. Thanks, Mike
  2. MikeL

New Mantel Almost Finished!

Greetings, We are in the process of remodeling our living room. The original mantel was a simple wood shelf with one piece of crown below. I removed the crown and built off of the existing shelf. Since my wife wanted everything painted white, I used MDF and pine. Here are a few photos...
  3. MikeL

Klingspor's Woodworking Shop Wood Sale this weekend

I had to go by Klingspor's this morning and found out that they are having a wood sale this weekend, June 17-19. Specials include: curly maple $3.00 bd ft, hard maple for $3.00 bd ft, and cherry (95/85) $3.50 bd ft. I believe their other wood will be discounted 10%. FYI.
  4. MikeL

Kreg K3 Jig Hole Misalignment???

Greetings fellow members! I cut my first pocket holes today using the Kreg K3 jig, and I have a question concerning my results. I am using 1/2 MDF (I know I may be asking too much of this jig with the material choice and size) to box a portion of a new mantle shelf. I set the jig up according...
  5. MikeL

Where Can I Purchase a Motor for Furnace in Raleigh?

We discovered a mysterious burning smell earlier today. Turns out is was coming from the registers. The furnace fan would not come on. I have a direct drive system, so it couldn't have been a belt. After a fun trip through the crawl space I removed the side panel of the furnace. I...
  6. MikeL

Can anything be done to protect a tree that has been struck by lightning?

My cousin has a large oak that was the victim of a lightning strike last night. It splintered the tree and removed an 8" wide strip of bark from the limb it entered all the way down to the ground. Is there anything that be done to to help keep this tree alive? I didn't know if a pruning...
  7. MikeL

Carving tool recommendations

I will be participating in a TWA workshop this weekend on decorative carving for furniture. Paul Rolfe will be instructing, and I am looking forward to learning about yet another slippery slope. My question is which carving tools would you recommend acquiring as a "basic" set. There are so...
  8. MikeL

Has anyone taken advantage of the Klingspor's Spring Cleaning Sale?

I received the flyer in the mail but have yet to stop by Klingspor's Woodworking Shop. I figured some of our members must have visited the store. Are there some good deals to be had? Surely there are gloats in hiding!?!
  9. MikeL

Does anyone have ShopNotes No. 81 ???

I was searching online for sharpening station ideas/plans and came across the cut list for ShopNotes No. 81 that includes plans for the "Ultimate Sharpening Station". Is it possible to get a scan of this article or borrow/purchase this issue? Thanks for your help!
  10. MikeL

JDS Air Tech 2000 on CL $175

Not mine (insert standard disclaimers here).... http://raleigh.craigslist.org/mat/1016914427.html I am not sure of the going price for these, but thought I would pass it along. Mike
  11. MikeL

Boeshield T-9 on clearance at Sears

I found a small display of Boeshield T-9 and Rust Free at the Sears of Triangle Town Center this afternoon. The pair were wrapped together and on clearance for $6.99. They had two packages left. The regular price on this was marked $19.99. The small display was sitting on the shelf with the...
  12. MikeL

Need help with bandsaw blade cut leading outward???

I have spent the last 3 hours scratching my head trying to figure this problem out. Does anyone know what might cause a bandsaw's cut to lead outward? I have tried adjusting the roller guides to the manufacturer's recommendations. I reset the blade to sit on center, adjusted the tracking and...
  13. MikeL

My First Peppermill

It has been too long since I have shared here on the site. This past weekend I took a workshop with Bill Wallace. One of the demonstrations was how to make a peppermill. Here is my first attempt. Thanks for looking.
  14. MikeL

Raised stand for lathe and lighting

Today I decided to finally build a stand to increase the working height of my lathe. I used some salvaged plywood and 2x4's along with a pack of adjustable feet from Hartville Tool (they are nice :icon_thum). Since I never throw anything away, I took our old track lighting that was...
  15. MikeL

Grandfather's Hand Planes

I spent today helping my dad and he gave me 3 hand planes that belonged to his father, who was a carpenter by trade. I never had the pleasure of meeting the man, but they remain extra special. My dad had to share his memories of "ribbons" that were made with these very tools. They traveled...
  16. MikeL

FazLok DC Connectors - Anyone using with 4" S & D?

I've finally finished my DC setup with the exception of these Fazlok connectors that I purchased. I am trying to adapt them to 4" S&D. Does anybody here have experience with these? FYI, I like the weight and price of the 4" S&D but there was some rigging required for the blastgates. Looks...
  17. MikeL

Freud bits/accessories 25% on Amazon

I just saw that Amazon once again is offering 25% off of Freud bits and accessories! Which dado set do you recommend? At 1/4 off, seems like a great time to buy one.
  18. MikeL

Picked up a drum sander thanks to Bruce (Junquecol)!!!

Thanks to a tip from Bruce, I was able to purchase a drum sander from Cary Pawn today. It was a good enough deal that the CFO gave in! :-D As an added bonus, I got to meet another North Carolina Woodworker member, Kevin (Turtlewood), while browsing around. I didn't even have to arm wrestle him...
  19. MikeL

Trash Can Lid Separator Fit???

Hey gang, I ordered one of the trash can lid separators and it says it fits a standard 20" can. Well, after dragging it through the store and trying it on each variety at the BORG, I still couldn't find one that seemed to fit properly. Question: Is there supposed to be a snug fit or does...
  20. MikeL

Iturra Design - I give them an "A"

I purchased 2 bandsaw blades from Iturra Design earlier this year. Upon arrival, I discovered that the Bladerunner blade was 3/4" too long. There was no way I could make up that slack. I had given them the spec'd length over the phone and that is what I was billed for. After just one call...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS