Search results

1. S

Change comes with time

From one Jerry to another, go LED and never look back. I buy 5000k at at least 4800-5000 lumens. I think I'm up to 12 in my 24x24 garage/shop. I may add a few more. Game changer for my aging eyes. (50)
  2. S

led strip/tape lighting

I have the cheap Chinese LEDs for under cabinet lighting in the kitchen. They work great however.... The power supplies that come with the cheap stuff gets scary hot. I replaced the power supply with an old laptop power supply and haven't had any issues since. The plug was even the same for an...
  3. S

Forrest II Blade

Sorry this may not be of much help. My son works for Ashecroft Saw, they have an affiliate business out your way and I can't remember the name of the place. I'll try and ask him when I see him. He has had teeth replaced for me in the past. An alternative is to call the klingspor location in...
  4. S

WTB - Quiet compressor advice

I have a small one I use for the brad and finish nailers. I've been happy with it. I only wish I had bought one with a slightly larger tank.
  5. S

Miter saw - fix or replace?

I agree with ScottM. I would like to add, get a high quality fine tooth cross cut blade. It makes a world of difference. My son works in the industry and brought home an Avanti? I think, sorry, can't remember exactly. I'll have to look again when I go back out to the shop. I was blown away at...
  6. S

Miter saw - fix or replace?

I bought a Hitachi 12" slider about 2 years ago. That thing is spot on accurate out of the box. I've been known to cut a 24" panel/cabinet on it by flipping the work piece over and using a stop. Great Saw.
  7. S

Picking A New Riding Mower

I have a Husky 48" Briggs with the orange (a little thicker steel) deck, hydrostatic foot controls. I had the regulator die after the first year, replaced it for $12 and it's been a good lawn tractor. Electric blade engagement is nice. Tank is under the seat. I've had it probably 5 years now. I...
  8. S

I Won!

Nice, Congrats. Great work.
  9. S

An urn for a good man.

I made one for my mother last year. It was therapeutic.
  10. S

Extend-A-TrucK Truck Bed Extender. $40 - SOLD

Thank you Greg. I appreciate it. It was nice meeting you today.
  11. S

Extend-A-TrucK Truck Bed Extender. $40 - SOLD

I'd be interested, PM me your location if you don't want to post it here. Edit: I see your close from your profile. Would sometime around lunch be an option to meet? I work walking distance from Klingspor in Cary.
  12. S

Next Tool Purchase

Like Mike Davis stated, there are numerous ways to flatten a board. Table saw, Planer sled, hand plane, etc. I would go with the band saw. I have a jointer but have successfully re-sawed rough lumber, planed it flat etc. without touching the jointer. My novice opinion, a jointer is a necessary...
  13. S

New to Sprayed-On Finishes (and Finishing in General) - Where Do I Start?

There is a lot more experience here than I can provide but I'll give you my experience with a recent project. My first time spraying a finish. (6 drawer platform bed) I bought the cheapo Rockler HVLP to get into it. My plan is to pick up an Earlex or Fuji in the future. I wanted enough...
  14. S

Glue testing - "Wood by Wright" - James Wright You Tube video

I had a good conversation with him on Reddit about his experiment. I really have nothing to add to this thread but he seems like a very nice guy. We discussed the CA results quite a bit as I was surprised as he was. We both agreed that longevity of the CA was the real question and neither of us...
  15. S

Paint recommendation (HVLP)

Where are you purchasing Target EM6600?
  16. S

Paint recommendation (HVLP)

I'm sure this has been covered, but I couldn't find much on the subject. I build a drawer pedestal for our bed. My wife wants it painted. I have a cheap HVLP (Rockler) that I haven't used yet, but that is beside the point. If you decide on a paint finish, what type of paint do you usually...
  17. S

Progress on my renewed interest in wood working.

First off, I'm rather proud of myself this evening. I took a rough cut block of what I think is mahogany and milled it into 4 book matched boards. That is a first for me. I just purchased a DW735 a few weeks ago and have never owned one before. I made a planer sled and it worked out well. I...
  18. S

What do you apply to your hand tools to keep them from rusting?

I don't actually do this, I've been adding a coat of wax and so far it's working rather well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npKo1y2e8RI
  19. S

question on miter saw needs

Just for the sake of the conversation I have a 12" Hitachi Slider (Rods). I can get it close to the wall and this thing was spot on from the factory. (maybe I got lucky) Dust collection sucks like most miter saws. It is a beast. I put a very nice blade on it. Orion? Cuts like butter and leaves...
  20. S

question on miter saw needs

My miter saw use goes in waves. Around the 150 year old house projects it's indispensable. For my wood working projects I may be able to do without it but I sure am glad it's there if I need it. Recently I was building a 4" tall display box. I discounted the miter saw at first because I was...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors