Search results

1. S

Specific mechanism of spiral catches/runbacks with skew on beading cuts

I've found a lot of videos with advice on how to do beading cuts with a skew. I am still practicing and getting better, I am trying to internalize what the correct things to do and not to do are. However, I'm struggling to visualize what exactly is occurring when the skew gets kicked back out of...
  2. S

Birdcage awl, blade length

I'm making some birdcage awls. I currently have blades (or shafts or whatever they are called in an awl, the pointy steel part) that will be 2" long outside the handle once everything is done, but they're not epoxied into the handle yet. I came up with this by just prototyping a bunch and seeing...
  3. S

1/8" cut diam x 5/8+" deep router bit

I'm looking for a router bit that cuts 1/8" diameter at least 5/8" deep and with a 1/4" or 1/2" shank. I'm wondering if that is too much to ask of carbide, though, because it seems like e.g. Whiteside does not make them. I have a pattern where I am trying to minimize the radius on the inside...
  4. S

Saw file handle

I am new to turning but I made this handle for ~6" saw files out of maple and brass tube stock, as a gift for a friend. This is the 3rd actual finished piece I have turned (first two were similar handles, but in white pine.) Brass ferrule was also polished using a wood mandrel made and used on...
  5. S

HSS and oilstones

Is there anything I should be aware of using oil stones and high-speed steel? I have some HSS blanks I am using for a project and I feel like I remember hearing there are some caveats with fancier steels and certain stones. Don't know the exact HSS alloy I have but it wasn't particularly...
  6. S

Pencil plane for Christmas - my version of Høvel

I have been seeing ads for the Høvel pencil sharpener plane for a while and I was thinking of getting one as a gift for my brother, but I decided I was getting good enough at plane making that I could try making one myself as a gift for him. The overall size will be 1-1/4" wide x 2-1/4" long...
  7. S

Newly completed 7" smoothing plane.

I haven't been posting here for a while, as I had a period where I could not do woodworking while I was taking care of my mother after her recovery from (successful) knee replacement surgeries. I am back home at my apartment now and I figured this would be a good thing to post to come back...
  8. S

End vise anti-rack device for small workbench

Finally got around to figuring out something for this. My small workbench has a very short overhang on the ends, so I could not put in an end vise with a screw that was inline with the front dog holes. However, I still want to be able to use them for clamping workpieces along the front top of...
  9. S

Misc drill press upgrades from scrap and spare parts.

I've been trying to do some very small projects that I can mostly do in a day or two each, without buying anything new -- and also forcing myself to be creative and work with my scrap pile. Not focused on aesthetics, just functionality. Working on larger complicated projects is nice but I am...
  10. S

Name for these? (Twist-in T-track bolts)

I spent some time on the grinder this morning modifying a normal "toilet bolt" style 5/16" T-track bolt into one that can drop/twist in anywhere, without having to slide in from the end, but then they will not rotate out of the slot again while you tighten a nut, knob, etc. on it. Does anyone...
  11. S

How is drill press chuck runout (TIR) specifically defined?

I am idly looking around and I noticed that a lot of chucks quote a TIR value but I am having trouble getting the official definition for where that is measured when it's quoted on a product page as just "TIR". Am I to interpret that as measured on the shank of a bit right below the chuck jaws...
  12. S

PEC blemished combo square positive experience

I bought one of the $50 PEC blemished combination squares (12", 4R) that recently came into stock again at Taylor Toolworks. Only blemishes are a small chip in the corner of the stock casting and some extra paint. The listing said the manufacturer name is "ground off" but I don't see grind marks...
  13. S

Whittling/chip carving knife geometry

I am thinking of making a few little carving knives for fun or gifts. I don't actually do much carving so I am wondering if someone can help give me a little direction. I'm looking to do something in this genre to start: https://www.woodcraft.com/products/pfeil-swiss-made-chip-carving-knife-1...
  14. S

Finally back to working on my float set.

I had been putting off filing the teeth in the side floats for a year or something. Finally decided to just do it. Took the better part of two afternoons to do just one of them but I have finally got faster at it. I decided to do 10 tpi because in theory it is less metal to remove (= faster)...
  15. S

Making a moving fillister plane nicker from scratch (was: Nicker re-grind advice)

I got a moving fillister plane off eBay originally just because I thought it would be nice to take dimensions off of for a far future project. Once I got it I decided it was in decent enough shape to restore. It actually more or less works after de-rusting the hardware, re-gluing the boxing...
  16. S

Mitered box questions

Working on a small cherry box with mitered sides and a top/bottom that sit in grooves. I thought I would double check some stuff before I started gluing anything together. The box is 5-1/4 long x 3-1/4" wide and will be about 2-1/8" tall, with surface mount hinges, and thinking maybe putting a...
  17. S

Klean strip green denatured alcohol

Home Depot near me appears to no longer carry this, only the non-"green" version. Online at other stores, it seems like it's out of stock or selling for ridiculous prices ($40/quart??). I liked it because the MSDS showed less methanol content by percentage. Anyone know what's happening with it...
  18. S

Test if shellac is still good

I have an assortment of dry shellac flakes, mixed shellac and a can of zinsser shellac. I just need a little bit for wiping on a utility grade project. I remember hearing there is some test you can do with shellac, like let it dry on glass and see how it reacts to scraping with your fingernail...
  19. S

Where next from card scrapers - #80, #12, #112, ...?

I have been getting a lot of use out of card scrapers, and I am interested in trying out the more "plane-like" scraping tools where the blade is held in a body. It seems like you would be able to scrape a surface evenly all the way to the edges without worrying about it digging in, which is more...
  20. S

Leather Veritas hold-down boots

I found that it is difficult to glue leather pads to the Veritas hold-downs because of their black coating. I did not want to disturb the coating so I made some slip-on leather boots. It took a small amount of trial and error to get them to fit without slipping off so I thought I would share the...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS