Search results

1. Boomer76

My first segmented turning

I turn pens and have made cups to hold pens and decided to try a segmented pen cup. I had a slight design flaw but otherwise I think it came out pretty well. I think I was turning it too slow because I got some chipping on the tail side of some segments. I was a little nervous about going full...
  2. Boomer76

Simple Spice cabinet

So two years ago when we moved here to NC a fellow woodworker said that one joy of the craft is being able to make things to fit into a certain spot just right. I think I have done that pretty well. My wife is getting tired of our small kitchen and lack of cabinet space so to free up an entire...
  3. Boomer76

Anybody near Asheville?

I found this on craigslist and am quite curious of the quality of these plywood half sheets to see if it would worth the four hour round trip for me to load up for projects. https://asheville.craigslist.org/mat/6803538992.html
  4. Boomer76

Early Christmas present

So while on vacation up in Ma for Thanksgiving my wife's aunt gave me her present since we weren't going to be here for Christmas. She was really deep into woodworking in college back in the 70's and bought these for a project that was never completed. Now it is in my hands to complete. These...
  5. Boomer76

Cherry nightstand

Hey y'all I just wanted to share my latest project. My wife was tired of using the window sill as a nightstand so I started this project about 6 months ago. Well a few weeks ago she bought a folding tray table, I got the hint. I wasn't working from any plans and got hung up on making the drawer...
  6. Boomer76

New Lathe

Hey y'all, I finally got my hands on a lathe!! I picked up a Rikon 71-105 from Woodcraft in mathews while they were having a sale. I am still playing and seeing what chisels I need to get. I have a 3/8" and 1" spindle gouge so far and going to get a parting tool soon. Right now all I've done is...
  7. Boomer76

Woodworking Source in Mooresville

Good morning y'all. I used to get lumber from Kyle at the sawmill in Iron Station but I recently saw that he is retiring and no longer offering wood for the public. I'm looking for a new place for small amounts of lumber and it looks like Ricks place in Mooresville is the closest to me in...
  8. Boomer76

Saving for my first lathe

So I've been doing a little side work and trying to save my money to buy my first lathe. The price for the Harbor Freight mini lathe is extremely attractive but with HF it's a real gamble. I'm debating between the Rikon 70-100 and 70-105. Before I pull the trigger in the next couple weeks I was...
  9. Boomer76

Benchtop jointer advice

Does anybody have any experience with either the Porter-Cable or Delta benchtop jointer? They are both at Lowe's and with my new employment I get a discount.
  10. Boomer76

Wish me luck

Looks like my "semi Retirement" will be ending soon. I had a good interview with Troutman Lowes yesterday and today I had a really good interview with the Mooresville dept of public works for an open position with the road crew. The Mooresville job is a four day weekend so I would still have...
  11. Boomer76

Breadbox project

My wife got tired of the bread stuff just sitting on the counter so I offered to make a breadbox. This was another really fun build. I just love making stuff. I actually assembled it before lunch so I even stopped for lunch today. Yesterday, not so much. lol
  12. Boomer76

USAF cutting board

So a good friend of mine is in the Air Force and getting married next month. In facebook comments on other cutting board ideas he mentioned that it'd be cool to have a unique cutting board to just hang in his man cave. This was really fun and I really like how it came out.
  13. Boomer76

Cutting board advice

So I got a request to make a cutting board using black and tan woods. I've been looking through wood species and I don't know what to do. I like the dark color of wenge but is it too hard? I also read that it's too porous and splintery for a cutting board. How should I proceed? Is there any...
  14. Boomer76

Yay I sold my first cutting board

I know it's a small announcement but this really excites me. The first cutting board I ever made got finished this morning. I posted it on my facebook and only a few hours later it was spoken for. Going to the post office to send it away tomorrow. #### it feels good. I've had people compliment...
  15. Boomer76

Sketchup help

I don't know if this is the right place to post this but I'm totally new to using sketchup and am having an issue. I'm trying to create a model of the box I'm building to visualize the top. What I can't seem to figure out is how to create a curved surface. I have the lines drawn but they the...
  16. Boomer76

Keepsake box project

So I decided to start a new project today while a think about what to do with the cutting board problem. I didn't plan this one out with the length of 4/4 walnut I had left so I came short. I'll put it aside until I get more stock. I have cherry I could use for the top and bottom but I thought...
  17. Boomer76

First cutting board

This is my first attempt at a cutting board. After trimming the ends and running it through the planer, everything came out smooth except for the strip of purple heart. I thought it was a problem with my planer but the rest of it is smooth. Is it just an issue with the PH splintering or...
  18. Boomer76

Happy wife Happy life

Here is my latest project nearing completion. It still needs a bit more sanding and securing the top. Then to apply the stain and shellac. It was designed to fit in the space between the vanity and the tub in our master bathroom. It is poplar with birch plywood sides.
  19. Boomer76

Here's my latest

So I'm not a seasoned woodworker at all. I've only built a few bookcases and other simple things like that over the years basically for home improvement type of things. My wife wanted a cabinet to hide the trash and recycling and looked online for one but I decided to build her one. I'll be...
  20. Boomer76

The Moulding Source

I decided to take peoples advice and take the half hour ride up to Mooresville to check out the store and maybe meet Rick. I guess I'll call first before driving up there next time. There was a note on the door saying they were closed due to a family illness. I hope it's nothing too serious.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS