Search results

1. J

Cutting board

In several YouTube videos I have heard that over time if biscuits are placed centered on the edge of glue joint instead of being offset to the bottom side, that they can shrink and it will show a crinkle in the top.
  2. J

Cutting board

Okay, cool. If I ever do get around to making a proper cutting board I might try it but then again it’s probably just an unnecessary step. Ive just heard that they can telegraph.
  3. J

Cutting board

When making a thicker cutting board of hard maple, let’s say 1 1/4” thick, are biscuits okay to have between laminations? I’d like to make one eventually. I know I can glue a panel pretty well but I love biscuits for alignment. Are these okay in a cutting board or will they show over time?
  4. J

Little project I’m working on.

Wow, very cool! Neat to see how that's done.
  5. J

Making Real Japanning

So here is how the second coat turned out. I got it a little bit more even and smooth. I used the brush to "stipple" on the japanning or dab it on. It left some spots in the finish but with a third coat it would look good. This testing was really just a proof of concept for me and I think it...
  6. J

Making Real Japanning

Interesting maybe yours was just thinner so it cured faster. Mine is like molasses. I’m just a noob with this stuff. In the future though I would like to apply it on other restoration projects.
  7. J

Making Real Japanning

I am following Hand tool rescues instructions and he claims it takes 90 days to cure cold. I also think it gets smoother and smoother as you bake it. I would think baking it makes it cure faster and cure all the way through and be really hard and durable. I’m just experimenting for fun...
  8. J

Making Real Japanning

If I can actually get the gears apart (they’re wedged on the shaft that they’re on.) I’ll be sure to not let any get on the teeth or any mating surfaces.
  9. J

Making Real Japanning

This is yesterday after baking all the way up to 425. Finish is hard and the color looks good. Can't be scratched by fingernail. Not pure black a little browness to it. Even though it isn't super smooth, I'm really happy with it! This finish is so old world and comes from a time when there was...
  10. J

Making Real Japanning

Okay awesome. Sorry if I got a little defensive you had me worried that I might not should put any japanning on it at all!
  11. J

Making Real Japanning

I probably could but for right now I've rigged some copper wire to hold the workpiece by the two places that no finish will be applied.
  12. J

Making Real Japanning

Here's the setup for the wrench. I used a titebond silicone glue brush because I heard the japanning won't stick to the silicone. The part is going to sit in the oven for an hour or two before I start the first heat. I hope it turns out well! I really want that smooth dark japanning look. Can't...
  13. J

Making Real Japanning

Maybe I was a bit naive with this finish. If I intend to use the press and drink juice from it, do you think I should not put any japanning on it part of it at all? I really want to restore the piece and use it and have my family and me safely enjoy the apple cider.
  14. J

Making Real Japanning

You should have no worries! I‘ve just coated the practice piece and I’m excited to share some more photos!
  15. J

Making Real Japanning

Is there some sort of point you are getting at?
  16. J

Making Real Japanning

I am well aware it’s not a food safe finish. By no means will any parts that come into direct contact with apple juice or mash have a Japan finish. For a few of the restored castings I chose bright red enamel paint. I just thought japanning would be cool on some of the parts.
  17. J

Making Real Japanning

There are some parts of the press that will not allow any finish on them because they will come into direct contact with apple juice or mash. We want these parts to be food safe. But as for the protective casing around the grinder portion of the press, the outside needs to have some kind of...
  18. J

Making Real Japanning

Okay that is a good idea. Could I use some thick copper wire to prop it up from the inside of the wrench jaws? Highest we will be going is 400-425F.
  19. J

Making Real Japanning

I've just mixed up some japanning the other day according to Hand Tool Rescue's recipe and ratios in his youtube video on Japanning. Ingredients are powdered asphaltum, turpentine, and boiled linseed oil. (50% turpentine, 30% asphaltum, 20% BLO) Going to start testing in the next day or two. Had...
  20. J

Apple Press Restoration

This fall it will hopefully be ready to use and the Family will get together to have some fun.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS